3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: No Camo Deer Season  (Read 811 times)

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: No Camo Deer Season
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
For everyone acting like people are taking their life in their hands if they wear jeans - here in the East its not a big deal most times.(not that I think Jjeans are ideal.)

I can go to place where im far from everything if I make real effort, but most of our hunting(even most of our best hunting) is not that removed from civilization.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
Woodchucker....that's cause you're a Marine son...Marine's are tougher than everyone else 8^).

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
I know this is a little off base but I don't buy any new camo or any type of hunting clothes anymore. For years I've worn a light weight leafy flage type jacket and pants over any kind of clean clothes I have.  In the early season when it's 90 degrees here in Kentucky I'll wear it over a pair of shorts and a tee shirt. It washes and dries in a minute.

I do agree Frank, not sure it matters what you have on as long as you are still and down wind.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
Free Range, I got the shirt from Teresa.  She makes them up and sells them at the shoots she and Fred attend.  I don't think she sells by mail or internet.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2008, 05:43:00 AM »
I have some real nice wool camo but I also like to wear my $10 army surplus wool pants they go well with my $5 thrift shop sweaters and wool shirts. When I first started hunting I didn't even own any camo, but I still was successful, being still is the key along with not being the thing that stands out in the woods.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Anaconda12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2008, 05:55:00 AM »
I have not worn camo in years I got tired of paying those prices for the next great camo and the thing would be faded in a couple of washings.  I am a batural tone and plaid guy usually wool, although cotton on hot days.  Some of my favorite hunting pants are a pair of dark green carhart pants the regular tan also work well.  "CAMO" on the Moose John.  I actually have four of these shirts, they were new wool shirts on clearance from Sierra Trading post!  5.99 apiece they are perfect!

Luck has nothing to do with it, just Boot leather and a GWP.

Offline Stykbow62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
I'm like Buff..."What's wrong with wearing camo" ?
I hope it's not the "it's not traditional" idea again or " I'm a better hunter than you " idea because I hunt without camo. To me your a traditional hunter with or without camo and hunting without camo make's you no better of a hunter than those who wear it.
Sorry for this long exortation, this is just my opinion, it could be wrong or it could be right.
Bob Lee Sig. Recurve 15" Riser 56@28"
Quinn Stallion Recurve 60@28"
Roland Jenkins Recurve 54@28"

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
There's NOTHING "wrong" with wearing camo.....

Some of us choose to live our lives as they were lived years ago,in a "simpler" time. It also, has nothing to do with being "better than you" because we DON"T wear camo. It has to do with walking a simpler path. We do not need to go home and change ito our new "state of the art" camo before we go hunting,we just put on some old dull-colored clothes  and head out the door.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Stykbow62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Woodchucker. I do enjoy being able to discuss our different opinions and not    getting into an argueing match. I can definitely respect someone's opinion when it is handled like this. Once again thanks and good huntin.
Bob Lee Sig. Recurve 15" Riser 56@28"
Quinn Stallion Recurve 60@28"
Roland Jenkins Recurve 54@28"

Offline zwickey2bl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2008, 12:32:00 AM »
I have hunted a lot w/out camo and like others have stated, have been so close to deer that it's hard for me to swallow the "you gotta have this camo to get this close" stuff.

I have also decided that I will not be buying any new camo. I like getting my stuff at thrift stores and closeouts and putting it together into a functional hunting setup. It just feels right to do without it these days.

What really makes me laugh is the gunhunters that act like they gotta have head-to-toe camo and then go sit in an enclosed shooting house all day. They could be wearing Elton John's electric suit and it wouldn't matter!

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »
"I Got ELECTRIC BOOTS!!!!! A Mo-Hair SUIT!!!!! Your know I saw it in a (HUNTIN')MAGAZINE!!!!!!!!!!"

:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
Cheater

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
Ok---just for discussion's sake, what about turkey huntin?
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
This is for this coming "Fall" season,So I would have to say no. But.....for SPRING!!!!!    :thumbsup:

Offline Blue Moose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
Every Christmas, I get a pile 'o camo stuff from people who assume that's what I'd want. So...I gotta pass on the pact. To not wear something I got in abundance for free would be a wee bit on the dumb side, I think;).

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
Blue Moose,

Yup!!!!!!!!!!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
With regard to how deer see--- all they are trying to do is sell you some new product-- never heard such BS---
how many times have you seen these guys on TV wearing a black hat-- black jacket-- or the guide is wearing jeans and some blue jacket--
what about the blaze orange vests--- guys wearing camo with blaze orange vest--- not all this stuff has the UV brighteners-- it that were the case-
the kill would be down by 50% +++++

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
I have never really excepted the "UV" line of thinking,and that deer saw things as "blue".....

When I was a kid growing up on a farm in western N.Y. we all hunted in blue "pinstripe" denim barn coveralls.

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2008, 12:25:00 PM »
haha great post Buff
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »
Cool thread....I believe in camo 'cause I'm a ground pounder, ambush sites, stillhunting etc..
Always want to match my camo to the area I hunt in. The "few" times I hit the tree, like in Jersey when theres no available cover around, my choice is Sticks 'N LImbs for my jacket...same top when I bear hunt. A few pics below of my camo...30 yd shot to the wood pile and just a close up of my standard camo. To each his own, if your having fun and successful and just plain enjoying the hunt, who cares what you wear..

Effectiveness at 30 yds of ASAT and Sticks 'N Limbs...

Early season Kelly Brown Tru Leaf and ASAT

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©