3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Glove versus a tab?  (Read 439 times)

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
Glove versus a tab?
« on: July 05, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
Guys I have shot a glove only for over 25 years, just never could do very well with a tab, tried 2 or 3 times over the years. The other day was making a order to 3Rivers, noticed they had thier BW tabs on sale,$8.95, so I got one. Went out this evening, nice breeze and took only the tab out, no glove with my #51 BW. Atfirst it was the same old story, inconsistent, 2 or 3 good shots, then one loopy, bad flight. I found myself short drawing. After about 25 shots, started getting better, slowed down, thought my way through each shot and groups go better fast! After 6 rounds of 10 each, pulled my arrow, drank some tea while catching my breath and shot 5 for"meat" on my 3d deer between 23-27yds. All 5 were in a 3inch circle, tight behind the shoulder about 5 inches from the chest, where i like to shoot a little low since deer usually seem to squat to take off when shot with a bow. I felt pretty good about this,which one do you guys shoot, and why? Any feedback appreciated. Sam.
samuel koger

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glove versus a tab?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
I shot with both, but mostly a glove for many years but went over to the tab about 5 years ago.  I'm shooting a Saunders plastic Nam Tab that I started using for bowfishing and like enough that I found a couple of spares and now that is all I shoot with.  I find I shoot better with the tab and for me it is much easier to work with when hunting.  I just put the tab on over a glove.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 01:13:00 AM »
I love the dura-glove myself

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
I used a HH style gove for years, Switched to a tab about 5 years ago and love it....
    I use the Cordovan Tab from Alaska Bow hunting....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
It's funny you say that.  I've shot a tab forever and have been flirting with the idea of moving to a glove... with very poor results.  That glove makes it feel as though my anchor is a mile away from my face.

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »
I smack my face with a tab to much to do any good. I shoot targets with a glove and hunt without one.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
I've used both, but always a tab when field shooting for a crisper, more consistent release. Recently, Ive been shootin the tab quite a bit and prefer it for my lighter bows.  I have a Wilson Tab and an old Neet model without the Kant-Pinch feature....don't like those thingies 8^).

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »
I've gone back and forth over the years and finally(I think), settled on the Damascus glove.(nut)
Rich Potter

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
Started years ago with a glove. Switched to a tab.
I've used a Cordovan (leather comes from a horse's back) tab for over ten years. In ten years I have used two tabs. The first is still shootable.

Clean, crisp release.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
I shoot the american leathers glove and like it alot. When shooting a tab, I noticed I can feel the string better.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
I have a problem with a tab.  I place my middle finger inside the corner of my mouth and touch one specific upper molar as an anchor point.  I can't seem to do that with a tab.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
I shoot a tab usually a calf hair with the spacer taken out like George. Can't find a glove big enough for My hand.

Offline Walter Mauney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
I can generally shoot more consistently with a tab, but I smack my face really badly while wearing one.

I shot a dozen shots while wearing one the other day and came inside. My wife asked me what was wrong with my face. I looked in the mirror and I was bleeding in a couple of places. All that I can think of was that it was my fingernails that did it. I guess that I need to trim them more often.:^)
Yours truly,
Walter

Offline agd68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
I started out using a glove but switched to a tab about eight years ago, been using one ever since. I get a smoother release and find it easier to use my fingers for other stuff without having to remove a glove.It's also easier to use a tab with light gloves huntig rabbits at -20 than exposing 3 fingers to use an archers glove.
Eat, drink, and be merry...  
For tommoro we may die.

Offline Flyrite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »
I have been shooting a glove for 35 years just because I learned that way. Have never even considered a tab. You guys have peaked my interest to try one. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks for the thought starter!
…finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun. (John Voelker)

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »
Tabs are better.  Next question.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »
i use a glove because its better for hunting for me, other than that i shoot em about equal
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
Started with a tab then went to a glove...been using a glve for about 10 years now.

Offline joeare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »
I started with a glove but since I tried a tab I did not go back. Currently I am shooting the UltraTab from Fred of BackFortyGear. It is the best of both worlds and it is simply perfect.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
i shoot with a glove and when it gets wet i use my fingers.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©