3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: is it ok to use hotmelt w/hit inserts??  (Read 167 times)

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
is it ok to use hotmelt w/hit inserts??
« on: July 06, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »
anybody used hotmelt with hit inserts?.... ive used hotmelt with my other carbons and inserts and just cooled quickly in glass of water with no problems....
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline The Great Jashu

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: is it ok to use hotmelt w/hit inserts??
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
Man I dont know if I would do that. Since they are so far back in the shaft, the advantage of useing hotmelt would be negated. By that I meen if you were to want them out, you would have a hard time heating the points enough to melt the glue without damageing the carbon shaft. Regular carbons  you can heat the point and pull them before the carbon starts to un-wrap. I would just epoxy them using the provided epoxy.
No hunter should feel guilty for killing a deer that doesnt meet someone else's expectations.

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
I'm with Jashu.  Too much risk of damaging an expensive shaft IMHO.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
I've used hot melt with the axis 400s with good results. If I want to get one of the inserts out, I simply heat a field point, screw it in, wait a few seconds and pull/twist it out. No problems thus far.
N/A

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »
I use hot melt with my CX Hertiage 150 if you need to remove just use hot running water. have not had any problems. Just heat the inscert only.

doug77

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
The green plastic installation tool used to set the depth also wipes the inside of the shaft of excess epoxy when it is pulled back out.Hot melt cools fairly quickly and would most likely melt the tool alittle.Unless you used a field point to install but you are still going to get the hot melt on the inside of the shaft.For me I just don't like to use any heat on carbon shafts and there is not an arrow manufacturer out there thats recommends any heat used on there carbon shafts.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
no brother dont use hot melt use 2 part epoxy 24 hr strength  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
Been using hot melt with inserts & carbons for years with no problems.  Way easier & less mess than glues.

Prior to installing an insert in a new shaft, I square it with a G5 tool and prep the inside with a stainless steel 270 cal bore brush on a short rod.

Use only as much heat as required to install or remove the insert (only apply heat to the insert when installing or a field point screwed in when removing), and have a small container of water handy to cool off the shaft in...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©