3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Massie bows?  (Read 449 times)

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
Massie bows?
« on: July 07, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
just traded for a Massie reverse handle longbow, can you guys tell me more about them?
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Massie bows?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
I have a reverse handle longbow from Jeff also. Great bows and bowyer. He's outta the bow business now. He is from south Texas.

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »
Jeff used to make thos bows im Gonzales TX.  He sold the business to Mr. Belcher in Michegan(?)
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
thats right Jim Belcher aquired Massie Archery and he is out of Brighton, MI
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
TradGangs own Ric-O-Shay(Danny Long) could answer your questions about the reverse handle "Massie". Unfortunately he is out of pocket today.I'll pass the info on to him so that he can respond asap. Jim Belcher (Belcher Archery) did purchase the Massie line about three years ago. He worked closely with Jeff for a number of years, so he is well aware of Jeff's reverse handle longbow. It is my understanding that Jeff stopped making the reverse handle bow when he came out with his very popular R/D "Longhorn". Belcher has continued the tradition of the "Longhorn". I own a beautiful Belcher "Longhorn" and five Massie "Longhorns". The Belcher "Longhorn" performs every bit as good as the Massie version. I highly recommend Belcher Archery to anyone interested in obtaining a top flite product for a fair price.

:bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
Hello Ian -

Congratulations on acquiring one of the finest shooting traditional "D" shaped longbows ever made. The "FORWARD" (Jeff says forward is the correct term because the riser or handle is forward of the limbs and not reversed on the limbs) design was the first that Jeff Massie made. I bought my first one from Jeff (actually two)forward handle bows in April 1992. The forward handle design seems to make the bow get on target quicker and gives it a slight overdraw effect. The Black Widow bows with their limbs attached to back side of the riser gives the same over draw effect only to a much greater degree than the forward handle longbow.
Jeff always made his limb tips very trim and delicate looking but they were also "bombproof" as he always used and recommended any of the high performance strings on his bows.Can you advise what woods are in the bow, any pics and what are the specs?
BTW there is a preferred way to grip Jeff's forward handle bows. Don't get a death grip on the handle when you shoot. Instead, let the heel of your hand rest on the grip; curl your fingers around the side on the handle and just let the pads of your finger tips lightly touch the laces on the back of the bow. This allows the bow free movement when you release the arrow. Try it a few times and if you have trouble, send me a PM and I'll call you. You've got a great bow there.
Take care,
Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
its a 59@29 bow, not sure of the woods 64in length, I'll see if jhansen can post some pics for me, its actually 8pounds more than I am comfortable shooting but I am going to try and work up in wieght so that I can hunt with it this season and that reverse handle just looked too cool to pass up
ARTAC member
52@29 66 bear grizzly

Offline Pluck Yew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 11:34:00 PM »
I too own belcher 60" 56# @ 28" Longhorn..very fast..no hand shock graceful..hits where I point..Jim Belcher will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have..how ever I'm afraid I have made more than a nuisance of myself around his shop...here is link to web-site..http://belcherbows.com/      :wavey:  

Shawn..
Give 'em the bird!

Offline Ron B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 12:25:00 PM »
I bought the sweetest Left Hand Longorn from this site last year. 64" long and 44lbs @ 28". Bamboo with carbon. I think the veneers are a curly maple and the riser looks like Paduak or Bloodwood. The ad said the riser was cocobolo but it looks way too red (with a slight purplish cast)in color for that. Great bow for the range or when the twinges in the hinges kick up, but I wuold be comnfortable hunting  many things wiht it too.

Ron

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
Here ya go, Ian.

Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
I've gotta get a pic of "Sweet Sue"....all of y'all would be very jealous. Sue's measurements are:

64" 54# @ 26" and she's dressed in Walnut & Hickory under clear glass...... Sweeeeet.

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
ric, what do you think of the bow, I talked to Jim at belcher bows, he's gonna reduce the wieght to 53 pounds for me
ARTAC member
52@29 66 bear grizzly

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
Ian -
It is grey actionwood riser and actionwood limbs with black glass. I was on a javalina hunt with Jeff about ** years ago. He had several bows with him and I got to shoot all of them. One was a bow like yours. To me, the actionwood limbs perform comparably with bamboo. It should draw smoothly and give great cast to the arrow.

Ian, what is your draw length? Is Jim going to reduce it to 53# @ 28" or 53# @ 29"?

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
jim is going to reduce it to 53@29
ARTAC member
52@29 66 bear grizzly

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Jim does nice work and I know you'll be pleased with the results. He refinished a Longhorn for me that Jeff had made. It is Gaboon Ebony riser, bamboo limbs w/carbon, gaboon ebony veneers under clear glass with the black/white overlays on the riser and limb tips like yours. It had a flat finish originally and Jim put a super  gloss finish on it for me with new leather handle wrap.

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
I just got the bow and I was shocked at how easy it was to draw and shoot, I talked to Jim and decided to keep this wieght and shoot it, its an awesome bow!, he said he still has the form and can still make a reverse handle bow
ARTAC member
52@29 66 bear grizzly

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
If you decide to let Jim Belcher reduce weight on that bow, don't lose any sleep over Jim's ability to do a good job. The bow will come back in new condition. He reduced a 65@29 Longhorn for me to 58@28. I could not be happier. Jim is a real craftsman.   :thumbsup:

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
Jim is a great guy to talk to, he also gave me advice on hunting in africa
ARTAC member
52@29 66 bear grizzly

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Ian -

I knew you were gonna like that bow!

:bigsmyl:

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
Bill,does that bow still look as great as it did ?
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©