3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: no glove?  (Read 370 times)

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
no glove?
« on: July 07, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
does anyone seem to get a better release and ultimately shoot better bare finger?    i have been messing with it a bit and that is what has happened to me.
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: no glove?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
I'm good only for a few shots without a glove then my fingers turn raw.I cant really tell you for sure because of this.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 07:32:00 PM »
i can only shoot about 5 to 8 times like that right now but that first shot is ALWAYS on the mark when i shoot like this
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
Yeah I'm good for about 1 arrow!

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
Beaver,
Have you read the latest issue of "Traditional Bowhunter" magazine?
The interview with Roger Rothhaar is interesting, he says he uses two metal nocking points, one above and one below the arrow, and has two additional layers of serving where he grips the string as he always shoots bare finger, (unless it is very cold).
If I am reading the article correctly, he only double serves the string where he grips it.
His quote is:
"I use two metal nocking points (above and below) and add two additional layers of serving to the string where I grasp it split finger"
I think that means he doesn't double serve the exact nocking point, as he doesn't mention if he uses a special "wide" nock on his arrow to fit the extra thick serving.
I may try it, I need all the help I can get on my release....and my bow torque...and my lack of follow through..oh never mind.
Hope this helps.
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
He also talks about it on masters of the barebow.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
Thanks Bear Heart,
Does he say if he practices "no glove or tab" all year or only hunts with bare fingers?
I haven't had the opportunity to see the video yet.
I do know that when I try it, I get a much cleaner release, I just can't shoot very many arrows without a glove.
Thanks again,
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
I most frequently shoot without a tab or glove. I get some callous across my fingers. Guitar players get the same. I do like the feel of the string and when hunting I just cut the tips off my gloves or use a mitten that unfolds.
Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
hey sendero, thaks for the input about the article in tbm. i just got that one and will read it tonight.

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
I also frequently shoot bare fingered. Guess I am thick skinned.
Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
I almost always shoot without a glove, it gives me a smoother release
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Michael Golden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 07:52:00 AM »
What weight of bows are you guys shooting bare fingers with?

Mike

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
45-53pounds no glove
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
I used to shoot my 64# Jeffery bare-fingered.  

After a few years away from shooting (and some health issues), I have had to drop down quite a bit in draw weight. I haven't yet started shooting my 50# Turkey Creek bare-fingered. Mostly because of the smaller diameter of the D97 string I have on it.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »
I've been known to shoot gloveless as well. It really helps you slow down and not just fling a bunch of arrows for the heck of it. I really like to do it when I'm practicing with BH and am only shooting one arrow at a time. I will say it hurts like heck though wen the temps fall into the teens or below!
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
No thanks folks.  It's a good way to damage tendons in the fingers and a tab or glove is cheap.  If you're having trouble with release, that will not fix it permanently....there are other issues and more than likely it's lack of back tension or similar form anomaly.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
Years ago I knew some field archers who shot with bare fingers. Their bows were in the 35lb. range. They also complained it took a month to build up their fingers from the winter lay over.
I tried it once. About 6 arrows and I was convinced I wasn't man enough to shoot bare fingers.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
thanks guys for all the info.   but the way i am not talking about shooting hundreds of arrows bare finger,  i am talking about that first few shots,  and that first shot is the one that counts ....right.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©