3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 4" or 5" Feathers  (Read 764 times)

Offline WndWker

• Trad Bowhunter
4" or 5" Feathers
« on: July 07, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
Iam going to set up a new bow with carbons
MFX classic 500. 52 @ 28 I have not bare shafted the carbons yet. 100 grain insert with 150 grain WW. After I get the arrows tuned would the 4" feathers be enough with the Wensel Woodsman ?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 4" or 5" Feathers
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
If you're thinking three fletch I would sure stick with the 5" for more stability.  The faster the arrow recovers, the better you will be, and bigger fletch will help it do that.

That said, I've been using quite a bit of 4" four fletch with very good results.  I use a full length feather and am able to get two 4" out of each one.  A little cheaper in the long run, and seems to give better flight as well.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:55:00 AM »
I have been using 4x5" parabolics with great results. Perfect arrow flight. WW or Zwicky's. I know I could get by with 4x4" but I have alot of 5" feathers........
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:24:00 AM »
I am using the bemen carbon 500 @ 29 1/4 with 125 gr Bh or field points and have found that the shaft do require 5.0 or 5.5 bananna feathers... if you go with 3 fletch.

I did make a couple with 4 fletch and with 4 inch feathers. These fly well.

but overall I liked the 5.o feathers best..
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 05:47:00 AM »
I have been shooting GT 3555 out of a couple old bears one is #45 the other #50, I have tried three five inch shield, three four inch parabolic and four four inch parabolic, all have a good helical and out of the three I'm most pleased with the four Fletch. I have shot field points and also some two blade zwicky eskimos. The arrows that have three four inch on them were that way when I bought them, they work good for field points but I would be a little Leary about actually using them in a hunting situation after seeing how well the four Fletch fly.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 06:08:00 AM »
It depends if you are shooting three or four 4" feathers. I shoot four 4" low profile bananas, and they are more than enough to stabilize Magnus Snuffers on the end of my CX Terminator Selects. But I think three 4" feathers might not be enough to stabilize a WW.
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
I've just switched to three 4" fletches. All depends on how well your bow is tuned.  What I do like about the 4" is they are faster, less noisy in flight and tend to have less contact with the riser which promotes better flight as well.  I am shooting them from my blacktail, my Widow, and two Whisperstiks.

definitely give it a try.  I will say to go ahead and see if they will stabilize your broadheads before refletching all your shafts since that's the ultimate goal.  I tried them a few years ago with a different bow and they stabilized my field points just fine but I couldn't get them to fly my broadheads acceptably.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Chris Lantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
I’ve always used 5” feathers because I don’t think there is a big difference in arrow speed an trajectory between large and small feathers for shots under 30 yards. Even the difference between 3X5” and 4X5” feathers seems to be small.  However I find the larger feathers are more forgiving and help when my release is poor. Play with different sizes and see what you like best.

Offline oddan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »
3 fourch in is 12inches surface arrow, 3- 5 is is 15 inches. With a well tuned shaft if its not windy outside I can shoot a 2 feather 5 in broadhead. Wensel and Magnus. For hunting I always shot the 3- 5in.
Out Door Dan

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
You'd need to do some testing to see what'll work best for ya.  I prefer 4x4" 'naners.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
good question.  I've shoot 4x4 for years and am very happy with them.

Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »
3-5" and 4-4" no matter what the broadhead.  Usually use 3 for three blades and 4 for 4 blades for whatever reason.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
me i am starting to use 4 x5" fletch  and so far i like em.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW