3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: point of aim - poor mans chrono??? Comments please  (Read 349 times)

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
point of aim - poor mans chrono??? Comments please
« on: July 08, 2008, 04:30:00 AM »
I have been doing some side by side comparisons with my two 3 p'ce t/d bows.  I don't like having too many bows cause it just confuses the issues and I end up not being very accurate with any of them.  I have a big hunt in New Zealand soon and want to get my travel bow ready.

I have my two one-piece keepers and am narrowing down to one of the three piece bows (for travelling).  The other will be sold.

They are both about the same in accuracy, but one just feels a bit nicer (it has lower b/h) and is quieter.

It is getting down to which is the fastest.  I don't have a chrono but remember reading on here ages ago that if one were to point the tip of the arrow at a distant point and release - then do that with another bow - the arrow that shoots the highest (or furtherest) is travelling the fastest!!

I got back about 60yds, pulled both bows back (did it many times), and released each time the tip of the arrow hit the mark.  One bow consistantly shot about a foot higher than the other bow (the one that feels smoother and has lower b/h).

Both bows are exactly 46# @ 29, have the same string, same arrows and release and both are 62".

My question - does this mean bow B is faster than bow A??  Or are there other variables that I have not factored in (grip - in relation to how close the arrow is to my hand, angle of the limbs on the riser, etc etc).

Your expertise would be appreciated.  I really need to know which bow is the fastest but haven't seen a chrono machine over here yet.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: point of aim - poor mans chrono??? Comments please
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 04:57:00 AM »
The only way I can think you would know is having the bow tested by a chrono.

I have tried and the best test I have found is at 20 yards shoot at a spot and then mark were the arrow lands. I then do a test of 3 arrows for each bow. The one that has the most arrows over the spot I would think is the fastest...

Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 05:26:00 AM »
Arrow impact makes a poor chronograph, as small differences in grip, bow reaction, tiller and nock location, all have a major effect on vertical arrow impact.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:34:00 AM »
that is what I was suspecting may be the case 'Shooto8s'.  I know the chrono is the only way to know, but thought this may be a rough guide.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 07:04:00 AM »
Just my 2 cents but, personally I think the bow to choose is the one that "feels" better and more importantly, the one that you consistantly shoot the best groups with. Not necessarily the faster of the two.

I'll take accuracy over speed every time.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
Your nock set height has a lot of affect on point of impact.  Hold point on at 20 yards and shoot the same arrow from each bow and mark the impact spot on your target.  Back up to 30 yards and hold on the same spot and shoot each again with the same arrow.  Mark your spots.  The one with the least drop between 20 and 30 yards is faster.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
a sharp well placed broadhead kills, not speed

Keep the one that shoots where ya look/feels the best. My .02

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
I seem to remember an Easton catalog had a chart and directions to measure arrow velocity.  This was 15 - 20 years ago, but I bet an email to Easton would get you the chart.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
Hey Apex man - you are a legend.  That really makes sense - and why didn't I think of that!!

This one then measures each bow against itself - therefore taking out any inconsistancies between each bow.  I will try that tonight.

Thanks - Sutto

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 12:29:00 AM »
Sutto, stop worrying about "fast" and just tip-toe right up to that massive red stag with your favourite bow, and plant one of your favourite arrows into him! All the best in EnZed (or InZid)! Cheers, Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 05:41:00 AM »
hey sutto, where (north/south)are you hunting and what are you chasing? i was there in feb chasing the sika and the sambar and the fallow. i want to be there right now for the tahr.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 06:24:00 AM »
My folks are in the Central Hawkes bay.  Dad lives in a little country town called Waipawa. There are deer up in the Ruahine ranges - not far from where dad lives.  I'll be giving them something to think about.

However the thing I have the most fun with is the hares and wild Turkeys.  The hares there are unbelievable - about as big as small wallabies.  The wild Turkeys are everywhere so really looking forward to getting in amongst them.  It is great having folks there cause I can stay with them, get some great meals and looking after - and hunt during the days.

Can't wait

I did some more exprimentation today.  I think the Firefly will be going with me.  It is faster than my new Lee Elite and just feels so good in the hand.  The smoothest darn bow I have ever drawn.

Sutto

Offline gilf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
I was lucky enough to get hold of a Firefly in the St Judes auction. I have been very impressed with it, I normally shoot ACS so it's up against stiff competition but to be honest it's really close as it shoots really well.

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
Yes gilf I agree.  I just ordered another one off Jim.  The F/F I have now is just a basic one - I bought it as a stock bow.  I always said if it turned out really well I would order a nice custom.  I think that time has come.

Sutto

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »
You can get an idea of the speed of the bows (and there is a formula to calculate speed) by shooting the bows against themselves.

Use something as an aiming point so that you are consistent (example, put the arrow tip on a spot on the target) and shoot from 20 yards (or whatever you want to use), then back up another 10 to 15 yards and do the same thing.  Shoot several (matched) arrows at each range.  Measure the drop to the second distance.

The one that drops more is the slower of the two.

There is also a formula that you can use to calculate the average speed over the difference in the range.

I'd have to do some heavy research to find it, but I do have that somewhere.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©