3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Right hand to Left !  (Read 266 times)

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Right hand to Left !
« on: July 08, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »
Due to some aches and pains I'm going to try to shoot left handed for a while... Been a righty all my life and my right eye is dominant.

Any advice from those who have done this ?  Should I try to close the right eye or leave it open and hope to compensate?
ANY HELP AT ALL WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Right hand to Left !
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
Glen St.Charles said, if you shoot instinctive keep your eyes (both of them) on the mark and practise. Train your "computer" in you head.It matters not wich eye is dominant.
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." - John Burroughs

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
I'm right handed and right eye dominant, but can shoot left handed pretty well.

Start out close and try closing one eye first and see how well you can adjust. After time you'll be shooting with both open i'm sure.

Good luck..
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
My last wife was right handed and left eye dominant.  She wore an eye patch on her left eye for a while shooting and after a while was able to dispense with the eye patch.  It's easier than trying to keep one eye closed.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
I started as a youth and shot well for several years right handed with both eyes open because that is how my friends did it. I didn't know anything about the dominant eye thing.

When someone told me about it, I discovered that I was left eye dominant, got paranoid and decided I'd better shoot left handed so I switched.

In retrospect I think it is more natural for me as a right handed person to point with my right hand. Now I wonder why the heck they call that left handed shooting!

I sincerely think that you can adjust with time and with a proper shooting method (which I really didn't have back then and I still did it)
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
you have to go pure instinctive, no split vision, no arrow reference, only instinctive, have to focus on target and nothing else or you wont be able to hit anything.

I was naturally right ahanded and tried it and just gave up and switched to left bc i couldnt do it

However my accuracy greatly improved if i closed my dominant eye while shooting right handed so it wouldnt mess withme
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Quill Flinger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
I shoot both left & right, instinctively. There are advantages as you can train yourself proper form from the get-go. All it takes is practice & don't over-bow yourself, start off light & easy & take your time. It won't happen overnight.

Good luck!

P.S. - stick to one or the other, otherwise you'll become a bowaholic having to have both lefties & righties!
<~ TGMM Family of the Bow ~<<<

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
Pat....
    I'm right handed and left eye dom....I used to keep my left eye closed....
    I taught myself to keep both eyes open, makes ya dizzy at first, now it's big deal, I also taught myself to shoot left handed....
    The hardest part at first is nocking the arrow....after that it's no big deal...
    My next bow I want it tobe a ambi bow with no shelf, so I can use both sides....
    It just takes a little practice and you will get it soon enough....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Ken E.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 06:33:00 AM »
Pat,

Due to a shoulder injury I had to switch to left handed a couple of years ago.  It takes a little getting used at first but you have to stick with it.  I found that I have to shoot with both eyes open and shoot instictive.  By doing this I shoot accurately. If I try to use any other method such as gap or point of aim everything falls apart because my right (dominant) eye takes over.

Good luck

Ken

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©