3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow fishing?  (Read 325 times)

Offline shade seeker

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow fishing?
« on: July 08, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
Any suggestions for the right bow fishing set up for a CM Hunter 2?

AND ... is Carp a fish you can eat?

shade seeker

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow fishing?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
I think a simple tape on drum reel and a fishing arrow from Muzzy is all you need to get started.

As far as eating carp? Well I think only you can best answer that by looking at where the fish lives. Would you eat a fish that lives there? Around here there are very few "clean" rivers with carp in them. I let my mother-in-law eat those.   :readit:
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline carparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
You can't go wrong w/ a AMS Retriever.  They are perfect for all set-ups.  If you don't have holes in your riser, you can buy one of those rubber strap-on mounts from 3Rivers.  As far as eating them...  Sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie, but I am going to take somebody's word for it!

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
When I was a youngster, My Dad and and old friend of his fished the riverbanks at great length. Dad and old George had an agreement. Dad got all the gamefish and panfish, and George kept all the carp. In old Poindexters cellar, lived about 100 gallon jars of pickled carp. IMHO you couldn't tell the difference between that and pickled herring. They would come home from a weekend outing and the first thing happening, even before cleaning the fish, was a gallon of PC, A6PKOFB, and a bit of mustard and pumpernickle rye.
So, the answer is yes. There are some good carp recipes.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline econnell71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 02:36:00 AM »
I agree with bowferd, as long as you take the vein out they will be okay, but it is not my cup of tea, as far as the set up goes, I follow the rule of KISS, Keep it simple stupid..(not calling you stupid) but that fancy stuff is for the birds, I just use the old wheel drum and regular fishing arrow...has served me well for many years, it takes a little longer but is a lot cheaper.
Martin Savannah LB 62" 60@28
Martin Vision LB 66" 65@28"
Martin Hunter    62" 55#@28"
Martin Hunter    62" 45@28"
Martin Jaguar bowfish recurve
Martin Rebel...who knows
"If you teach your kids how to hunt..You won't have to hunt your kids!"

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 03:04:00 AM »
I would go for the AMS and spend the little bit more money. I used a wheel for a couple of years and then bought an AMS, after all the tangles and a few arrows bouncing back with the wheel. The AMS is worth every penny and you will spend alot more time shooting, instead of messing around with the "WHEEL".

Good luck
j yenney

Offline shade seeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
That's what I was looking for...Thanks folks -- I think I'll go with the AMS. I'd rather not put any holes into my bow so I'll get the rubber strap dealy.
>>>--------> canoe trip comming up -- OH yeah!  :)

shade seeker

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
That's some funny stuff there Vaughn.    :biglaugh:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline JStark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
Carp were introduced into North America when the native fish numbers were greatly diminished through commercial fishing.  However, they took on the "trash fish" monniker soon afterward because the rivers into which they were dumped (around the Great Lakes)were so horribly polluted, and the fish eat vegetation and do some scrounging around in the mud.  

By polluted, I mean the Ohio river had actually caught fire.

Anyway, carp are enjoyed all over the world as a good meat fish, easy to raise and filling.  Today, most of our rivers aren't nearly as polluted, but if you find some in some good, clear water (like, say the Feather River in California), you can get some good-tasting fish.  

Tilapia is darn-near the same thing.
Through education, appreciation;
through appreciation, protection.

Offline kskickapoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
Its funny that you mentioned Tilapia.  I grew up in Hawaii and fished their freshwater reservior used to irrigate the pineapple & sugarcane fields and we always tossed the tilapia on the bank when we caught one.  Now you pay out the nose for a fillet...

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
Shade, depends on how much you plan on doing.  I have bowfished for 10 years, and will say if you get a strap on adapter (great Northern) then get a reel seat, put on a T20 shakespeare reel, with 150# bowfishing line with a shure shot point arrow, should last you hundreds of hour bowfishing.  sully's bowfishing supply's website has all you need and the cheapest around, and is quick to deliever and being a former national champ knows his stuff.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©