3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3x4" feathers enough?  (Read 424 times)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
3x4" feathers enough?
« on: July 09, 2008, 06:05:00 AM »
i shoot 3555 g/tip out of my 55# recurve. FOC of 20%. 250gr up front. 585gr total. i fletch these with 3 4" shield feathers, offset. i hunt with magnus 2 blade b/heads. does anyone else use a similar set up? i get great flight, when my release is good.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3x4" feathers enough?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 06:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by ozy clint:
i get great flight, when my release is good.
And therein lies the problem.   ;)   I don't shoot 3 4" feathers, so can't answer your question directly.  But the whole idea of bigger feathers, or using 4x4" configuration, is the help the arrow straighten out faster when everything isn't perfect.  If we all had a perfect release everytime, 3 4" would probably work OK.  But giving up the extra stability and forgiveness of the arrow in exchange for the tiny bit of speed you might pick up with 4" is a big price to pay. Especially when shooting any type of broadhead.
Just my opinion - not based on fact, and others may make it work fine.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 07:07:00 AM »
I agree with Whip, at the practice butts everything is perfect...no heavy clothes, no adrenalin rush, etc.  Even then I'll still have that flyer or bad release where I didn't concentrate.  

When hunting I hardly notice what I do with my shot.  So I want all the extra help I can get from my feathers.  I have switched from 3 5" shield cuts (due to noise) to 4 4" lower profile feathers.  They seem to fly even better for me than the 3 larger feathers.  But 3 4" feathers seem to take longer to stabilize.  I'd sacrifice a little speed for a stable arrow any time as I've taken game with high end recurves to slow selfbows so speed isn't the issue for me.  JMHO...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
Clint,

I agree with tippit and whip. Rather be setup for when things don't go according to plan or when they aren't perfect, rather than when they are.
I use 4" banana feathers, but I use four feathers instead of just three. I haven't tried using just three feathers as I get perfect arrow flight with four, and my arrows are still plenty fast enough with four feathers too!    ;)  

Nigel
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 07:38:00 AM »
One of the major advantages of bare-shaft tuning- it takes feathers out of the equation. When you're bare-shaft tuned, the function of the feathers is more to clean up your shooting variations than anything else. Once, shooting the Howard Hill World Championship in Wilsonville, AL, a thunderstorm soaked us all. With my feathers plastered down, I still managed a good score, when others were hurting.

With broadheads, it's even more important to have the right spined shaft. I can use 3 4" parabolics on my target arrows, but I go with 3 5" shields (trimmed until they're quiet) with broadheads.

Don
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »
If you aren't getting good arro flight on about all your shots.You need to change something.Your setup looks good by you statement but tunning is key.Try a helical fletched arro instead of offset.
I too shoot 3 4'' fletch w/ a 160gr snuffer w/ as much helical as I can get out of my fletching gig.W/ a little tinkering it canbe done.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 08:04:00 AM »
Add that 4th 4" feather.   :D

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Scott Gray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 08:25:00 AM »
I guess I am the odd man here  :knothead:  I was shooting three 3 inch shield cut feathers but changed to 3 four inch shield cuts. I had no problems with arrow flight with 3 inch feathers but went to four inchers in case I did have a bad release. I shoot 190 grain interceptors and 130 grain no mercys with 75 grain adapters and they fly well with both feather set ups.
BlackCreek Banshee 42 lbs@28

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
A year ago I would have said never to use anything less than 5" when hunting and preferably 5.5".  Luckily I'm not that set in my ways and tried the 4x4 bananas.  Even with the crappy shooting problems I've been experiencing lately, they still straighten out fast, I think as fast or faster than 3 5.5" feathers, and they are much quieter.  Pretty hard to beat.  I would add that fourth feather and not look back.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 08:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Molson:
they still straighten out fast, I think as fast or faster than 3 5.5" feathers, and they are much quieter.  Pretty hard to beat.  I would add that fourth feather and not look back.
Yup, my sentiments exactly.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline longbawl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
I agree with Whip 100%. I would also add archers paradox. Its your best friend untill the nock clears the riser. Then we need to get rid of it fast. Thats why we need helical fletch. I shoot 4x4 shield an like was said above im not looking back.

Offline BigCnyn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
Huhh,,
I must really be the odd guy here..
I shoot 4x4 90 degree 3" parabolics. rh helical slightly
They handle every shooting situation, I have needed. shooting grizzlies to muzzies.. I religously bare shaft,and broadhead spin. SO To each his own.. What you sow you reap.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by BigCnyn:
Huhh,,
I must really be the odd guy here..
I shoot 4x4 90 degree 3" parabolics. rh helical slightly
They handle every shooting situation, I have needed. shooting grizzlies to muzzies.. I religously bare shaft,and broadhead spin. SO To each his own.. What you sow you reap.
... and most importantly, Your Mileage May Vary.  :D

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
Has anyone tried Gateway's 2 inch Rayzr? Wondering how 4 of those with the high profile would work. Anyone know if they come in left-wing?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 02:26:00 AM »
okay then, what nock/feather oreintation do you four fletch guys use? cock feather in, out, up, sideways, inside out, you know what i mean, LOL. i'll have to fletch one up and give it a go.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 05:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by ozy clint:
okay then, what nock/feather oreintation do you four fletch guys use? cock feather in, out, up, sideways, inside out, you know what i mean, LOL. i'll have to fletch one up and give it a go.
The most popular 4 fletch arrangements are 90x90 or 75x105.  Here's the feather orientation as viewed from the rear on a right hand arrow rest ...  

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 06:07:00 AM »
Well any more feathers that that I consider overkill on a small diameter carbon.If an arrow is tuned it takes a lot less feather on the back than most use.Aside from a bit more speed down range the 4" feathers are quieter than larger feathers in any type cut.3 4" parabolics is plenty to steer even a 2" wide treeshark or you just have tuning/spine issues on your setup.As far as quick recovery goes that is in the tuneing and your own ability to get off a shot and need not have half a turkey on the back of an arrow to get it.  ;)   jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 06:21:00 AM »
IMO, it's the feather shape that dictates flight noise, not the feather length.  I used to burn a custom 4" shield shape for my 4-fletch and without a doubt, the 4" Vario Hunter 'nanner shape is SO much quieter while still retaining good steerage right outta the gate. YMMV.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 06:34:00 AM »
Oh I agree with that but size does matter too.I like to shoot 4" low profile nanners as well.They can be almost as quiet as parabolic with the right cut.Of course on my wood arrows I always use big feathers to help with the inconsistancy s of wood shafts.On those I need all the help I can get. :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 06:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by James Wrenn:
... .Of course on my wood arrows I always use big feathers to help with the inconsistancy s of wood shafts.On those I need all the help I can get.  :)  
:thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©