3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Camo-less Challenge... (TTT for 2014!!!)  (Read 5039 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
The Camo-less Challenge... (TTT for 2014!!!)
« on: July 09, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
I started this, back in 2008... Thought it might be fun to get it going again!!!

In conjunction with Ontario Longbow's "No Camo Deer Season".....

I'm starting this thread seeking volunteers to take "The Camo-less Challenge".

All volunteers will agree to hunt the entire season without any type of comercial camoflage. The only exceptions will be boots (You need good footwear) and a hat (everyone has a "Lucky" huntin' hat,and we wouldn't want anyone to be "jinxed" if they couldn't wear their "Lucky" camo hat.)

For several years now I have been wearing my "GoodWill" wool sweaters and either wool or camo (cotton) pants depending on the weather.This year I have made up some of my home-made "huntin' jeans" so I will be hunting completely "camo-less"(I even have a stupid looking red & black plaid "lucky" huntin' hat LOL)

So let's hear it!!!!! Who's up to the "challenge" and what will you be wearing?????
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Camo-less Challenge... (TTT for 2014!!!)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 09:38:00 AM »
I'm glad you can find stuff to fit that easily.....

Having nothing to do with it actually being camo, much of my clothing is purchased as it fits my 6'7" frame, and functions in my activities involved in hunting.

I have some non-camo, but likely not enough to qualify for your standards.....  :notworthy:
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 09:38:00 AM »
I'm IN!!!!!   :thumbsup:  (I almost forgot to add myself LOL)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »
It's a walk in the park Bob!!!!! There's "Big Guys" all over LOL!!!!! You wear jeans don't ya????? Look for a couple pairs of old black denim jeans then wash them in bleach. Wool pants might be a problem if you look for "hunting pants" but if you go to the GoodWill store,lots of times you can find 100% wool dress pants.(They're usually light weight though) I like knitted wool sweaters because they STRETCH!!!!! (I'm a short fat guy 2XL-3XL)

Come on Bob!!!!! Join the fun!!!!!

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
Chuck -- I've been doing this most of my hunting career, to one degree and another. As soon as the marketplace succeeded in convincing the bowhunting world that camo is absolutely essential, I rebelled. I have proven to myself over and over that if you don't move and are in the shade, not even turkeys will spot you, much less elk. It's been so long since I've lived where I can hunt whitetails, I can say ... other than back when I started hunting them successfully with a bow, commercial camo didn't exist. But like Big Bob says, it's hard to get away from camo entirely because it's hard to find all the features we need in hunting clothes other than in camo, and camo generally is cheaper. I still wear long-sleeved camo t-shirts because they are dirt cheap compared to standard models. I wear plaid hunting shirts and never camo. I wear non-camo hats but a camo face mask. Darn hard to find good warm-weather hunting pants with all the pockets we need, though wool is great when it's colder, etc. In any event your experiment sounds fun and will perhaps further encourage hunting clothing mfgrs. to offer functional hunting clothes in other than camo. Good luck, dave

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
What about burnt cork on your face, does that count?
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by frassettor:
What about burnt cork on your face, does that count?
only if you use one color!   :D
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
It gets pretty darn hot here in Texas during October.  And since I've started using pop-up blinds it gets even hotter inside one of those things.  So I've decided to hunt naked except for a black T-shirt and face mask.  Does that count????

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
Hey Chuck, do surplus BDUs count as comercial Camo? Either way I'm in too.  :D
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »
Been there and done that and still doing that.  No challenge to me.  Haven't used camo since I don't remember when.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
I like my camo.
It is an old friend, a badge of honor. I am not one of the spandex-and-trekking-sandals dayhikers, nor a GPS-addicted "cacher", not a stroll-in-the-parker. When I open my plastic tubs o' huntin' clothes, some camo and some not, I smell the campfires from last year, a bit of spruce and rotten leaves. I have used some of these garments for over twenty years. They are tradition, and I will not leave them behind for this new-fangled no-camo fad.  ;)  

Killdeer~Have at it!  :wavey:   :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »
Good Luck! Guys & Gals. I'm with Kildeer. I will use whatever is in my resources, for warmth, comfort, stealth, whatever to help me fill my tag. I still have my WWII Camo patterm jacket for at a time when Traditional Archery was still just called Archery.  

I love my wools and plaids too as well as camo .. but I will use both.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
spent too much on my wolfskin, and that dang outfit could qualify as PJ's as comfy as it is...  I am going to be non camoed a good portion of the time, those times when my wolfskin is dirty, or I'm just in the mood.   That being said, my deer will be killed without camo, and possibly with a saxton pope type suit...
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Lonesome Wind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
The only camo I wear is King of the Mountian blowdown. If KOM made plaid I'd wear that instead. I love the idea of the challange but when hunting I love my KOM clothes more. I'm with ya in spirt, I'll still wear my green fedora, but I'll be in my KOM in the deer woods. While in Africa I'll abide by the no camo though.  :goldtooth:
Keep your stick bent!
Vince

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
Camo has nothing on my collection of plaid, I believe. The only challenging aspect really is that(as others have noted) various great items only come in in camo.

The only time I think you are making a sacrifice not wearing camo is if you are in an area requiring flouresent orange. Pure orange is a crazy.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
I'm already proved to the most important person (me) that commercial camo is not a necessity. It sure doesn't hurt though.

I certainly do not look like I just walked out of a hunting catalogue nor do I look like a modern hunter on T.V.

As I said in the other post, I wear whatever I feel like wearing at the time and as I and others have already mentioned, most hunting clothing on the market today is camo. I am not an  average size guy either.

There is nothing wrong with wearing some camo, in fact, there is a school of thought that says we should wear some camo when we are not hunting and act like the gentlemen we are in order to show non-hunters that we are respectable citizens too.

I don't go overboard, but it's hard not to like good functional clothing in patterns like ASAT, Predator, Outfitter, and Blow Down, etc... also some of the best rain gear is only found in Realtree or Mossy Oak patterns.

I do not have the finances to replace certain items just to prove a point that I already know. I agree though that it can be fun to have hi-tech hunters think your nuts when they see your hunting pictures.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »
In 2006 I was hunting in South Dakota and 3 whitetails, a 150" 10 point, a huge non typical, and a 100" eight point all walk right under my stand while I was wearing tan cargo pants and a brown flannel shirt. I was maybe 12' high. That convinced me I could wear "normal" clothes when hunting in trees.

They came straight at me, walked straight under me and walked away the same never offering a side shot. Only the 8 point offered a shot and I ah....missed lol.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
does a face mask count?, it is a must for the thousands of mosquitoes
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
I'm kinda' with Killdeer on this. while I do not want to look like GI Joe, all decked out in a new, coordinated camo suit, I don't want to look like Elmer Fudd either, all dressed up in expensive new Filson garbs from top to bottom. I'll stick to my mismatched, but ultra-efficient clothes piled up in the basement. Some solid colors, some camo and some old plaid. But my  go-to  are my greyish 60's Swedish Army felt wool pants, as warm and windproof as my high tech climbing gear. ( Actually, back in the days when people were tougher, they used those pants to climb Everest) and a "Duke of the Hill" shirt. Oh, and, but of course, my Terry Green like boonie hat   :)
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
No.

Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©