3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Camo-less Challenge... (TTT for 2014!!!)  (Read 5043 times)

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Camo-less Challenge... (TTT for 2014!!!)
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2008, 07:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Elksong:
I plan on killin my elk wearin' buckskins this year.  I may not be able to wear them every day though.......
Now, If I had buckskins I'd love to wear them sometimes.  :thumbsup:
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline Dark_Timber_Ghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
I'm in, I will not get but bout 30 possible days to hunt, but I plan to hunt both from the ground and a stand.

JW
R/

-Rutledge-

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
Don't seem much of a challange to me.Everyone knows camo is sold for hunters, not the game they hunt.I have killed many deer with shorts on and white teeshirts at times in early season from stands.Could hunt and kill about anything in work clothes.I still wear camo when hunting most times because the best stuff always comes in camo.I don't do it for the deer however.I do it for me and I like feeling sneaky. :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »
i %100 agree, camo is geared towards the hunter not the hunted.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »
In regards to "Good Will Hunting," what if you find some nice camo at the Goodwill?

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2008, 03:35:00 AM »
Do you think deer see blue better than other colors? I always thought most animals saw shades of gray but on those bottles of "camo wash" it shows a picture of a guy in clothes washed with and without the special detergent and in the clothes with the blueing he shows up better (as deer would see him). So would the blue plaid be a bad idea?
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
I never believed any of the "U-V Killer" "Scent-Lock" hype.They're both a bunch of BS if you ask me.

When I was a kid growing up on a western New York dairy farm,we all hunted in blue denim "Barn Coveralls" I killed more deer wearing blue jeans than I have wearing anything else.Many of them were  only feet away and "eyeball to eyeball".(I have never killed a deer from a tree stand either BTW) Now I know all the "scientific research" about rods and cones,etc. But nobody has ever truely looked through a deer's eyes.I DO believe that deer can see color though,but I think the "U-V" concept is a bunch of crap. The "U-V Killer" concept is sold to hunters using photograghy in magazine ads.

As for "Scent-Lock"..... I went hunting with a guy as a guy as a guest in his camp.His father won a turkey hunt with Lee and Tiffany Lacosky,and they were both given brand new "Scent-Lock" camo suits. On our way driving to the farm we were going to hunt,Jimmy blew a real "ripe one" that cleared the truck out!!!!! I mean we had to stop and air the truck out!!!!! After we got back in,Jimmy said "I guess this Scent-Lock suit ain't worth $hi+". If it was.....Jimmy would have had "messy pants" and we'd have never known a thing.

Just one "Old Fart's" opinion though.....      ;)    

b.glass, I killed a 5 point buck at 8 yards wearing a blue and white plaid Woolrich shirt and a pair of blue jeans.....

He never new what hit him LOL!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
I have no idea whether deer can see me if I wash my clothes in the laundry soap with UV brightners or not. I DO know that they are there in regular laundry soap though. In all of the water quality work I have done, the diffinitive test for grey water contamination (grey water is basicly what would run into the septic tank or sewer line) is the presence of UV brightners, as evidenced by checking an unbleached cotton swab soaked in the sample with a black light. If it "glows" VIOLA!

The no-smell-um soaps have no fragrence added, which is what I am looking for to wash my hunting clothes in. Typically they are also made from a less harsh detergent which makes my hunting clothes, which get washed a lot, last longer. No UV brightners I guess is an added bonus. Does it make any difference to the deer? Smells, yes. UV brightners, dunno, don't really matter to me. As long as I don't smell like "lillacs" or "a fresh morning rainstorm accross a field of wildflowers" I figure I'm good. Now, deer start shining black lights around, we may need to be worried.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline mrgreenhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »
I plan on hanging my clothes in my chicken coop to see what happens.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
You'll probly get a shot at a fox.....   ;)

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
I've been wearing brown/black plaid and brown pants for awhile now. If it's cold, I'll get out the old insulated fleece bibs in the old realtree AP gray.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »
"Although vision is predominantly based on rods in these animals (more than 90 percent of the total photoreceptors in their eyes are rods giving them excellent night vision), they have enough cones to provide color vision. Obviously color vision based on only two different cone types is not going to be as good as human color vision that is based on three types. The deficiency in dichromatic color vision is in the ability to discriminate among the colors of objects that reflect light in the middle to long wavelengths, i.e. green, yellow, brown, orange, and red. The ungulates and carnivores with color vision based on only short wavelength sensitive cones and long wavelength sensitive cones, would find these colors difficult or impossible to distinguish. However, for these animals, blue, violet and near ultraviolet (which is invisible to us because it is blocked by the lens) stand out from the other colors. The colors of earthly objects are mostly browns, tans, greens and yellows. To an animal with dichromatic color vision, a sportsman wearing garments that strongly reflect short wavelength light would stand out against these backgrounds like a ripe red tomato on a green vine." -Sincerely Yours, Jay Neitz, pH. D . Vision Scientist

Here is a link to the article "How Whitetail Deer view their world!" :

http://home.adelphia.net/~geffert/deervis.htm

Bottom line, probably the best camouflage to use against deer would be a natural wool material with the old school red and black plaid pattern. Modern synthetics regardless the color pattern can stand out like a blue neon sign due to UV no matter how much UV-killer you add to the wash. This is easily demonstrated by use of a UV light in total darkness. Often times we get too caught up in marketing hype for the latest and greatest synthetics and camo patterns without looking at the facts. The reality is that most of this gear is marketed to remove dollars from the hunter and not for the hunter to better harvest game.

later,
Daddy Bear

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
I'd add, I'm a bit surprised when I see those who would use a simple stick and string loosing wood arrows for hunting game yet get caught up in the marketing hype for a carbon suit. It does not and can not work in a hunting environment. Outside of deploying a military grade unit in a lab environment for very limited exposure, it is impossible for a commercial carbon unit which is deployed in the field to have any effect whatsoever in defeating scent detection of a canine, much less a deer or bear. Any limited value that the suit may have is immediatley lost and there is no possible way to renew what limited effectiveness it may have possessed. It is confirmed and tested fact that such claims are false. It is complete marketing hype and to make matters worse, a carbon suit has no value to a hunter as it is a very poor choice for a garment layer when exposed to the elements.

I find it disturbing that a hunter of fame would be willing to pitch such a product on unsuspecting hunters for the mere sake of profit. I'd suspect that these same professional pitch men would also push cotton undergarments for Alaska hunting if they were paid to do so. Sad:(

Daddy Bear

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
WEll, I am in!!  I will hunt this year with not only non camo, but will only wash my clothes in armor and hammer.  No scent lock bags, no scent lock, no scent control other than clean non camo clothes and playing the wind.  Hell, if any other guys into this, could break it down to color codes, I have no problem wearing pink.

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2008, 12:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by toddster:
WEll, I am in!!  I will hunt this year with not only non camo, but will only wash my clothes in armor and hammer.  No scent lock bags, no scent lock, no scent control other than clean non camo clothes and playing the wind.  Hell, if any other guys into this, could break it down to color codes, I have no problem wearing pink.
I saw somw Pink Camo the outher day  :saywhat:
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Huntin' Season's gettin' close!!!!!   :bigsmyl:

Anyone else want to step forward and "volunteer"?????

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
I would Chuck, but my wife just got me some GREAT stuff for my birthday. I have to wear it.  :goldtooth:  

By the way....I have a line on some of those pesky black squirrels A LOT closer than the Adks.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
Won't hunt till November...so does blaze orange parka and bibs count?  :D
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
Knock'em Dead Jamie!!!!!!!!!!   :archer:

Offline SirRobin77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
You guys can count me in too.
EPHESIANS 6: 10-20

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©