3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Javalina's with Kent Ostrem...  (Read 481 times)

Offline bowman69

• Trad Bowhunter
Javalina's with Kent Ostrem...
« on: July 09, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »
Hey guys, Twoblade and I just sent our money to Kent Ostrem, of Mahaska Bows, for the February javelina hunt in the Quitman mountains....Just curious who else, if any, other Trad-Ganger will be with us....If any of you guys have been with him, do you have any info that would help us out...I hunted jave's before but never in the mountains...Thanx guys

Shad
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline BodarkOkie

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Javalina's with Kent Ostrem...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
Have fun!!

It's a great place and a fun hunt...anywhere from 4,000 to 6,000 elevation.

March 2008 group:

There really are javelina there!!

Gene
If you love peace more than you love freedom, you lose!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of MO-Lifetime/Founding Board
United Bowhunters of IL-Lifetime Charter
Compton Trad. Bowhunters-Lifetime Charter
PBS-Assoc.
NBEF Instructor

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
Yes, I hunted with Kent out of Sierra Blanca several years ago.It can get extremely cold there if a Norther blows through, so take some warm cloths. Take an old straw broom, and sweep the tracks out where they cross the ranch roads under culverts, ect. Tracks in the desert last for years, and doing this will let you know if sign is fresh. You can climb up on the ridge West of camp and ooze along South glassing from vantage points if you want to still hunt as I did, or take a lawn chair to glass the feeders from afar if you prefer that method. It's worth the few bucks to buy a Javie call, but be advised: if they come in to it at all, they are already pissed off!
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline bowman69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »
Thanx for the info on the broom....

I know what you are talking about with the javi call, I went on the pig gig with the Wensels a couple of year ago and had I not also called in a three coyotes that stopped their charge, I may have had a herd of javis in my lap....

Offline B. Butz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
I've hunted with Kent three times on this west Texas lease.  You will see javelina.  And you will have the opportunity to get some shooting.

Make sure when you do get a shot that you "aim" midway up the body, just behind the collar.  The vitals on a javelina are only about as big as a grapefruit.  Anywhere else on the body and you'll fast discover what a Spainish friend of mine observed: Javelina are filled with sand, not blood.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
bowman69,

What's the price of the hunt?
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline bowman69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
This is the description from the website... This four day hunt takes place on a private ranch in the Quitman Mountains of west Texas. Lodging is provided. Meals are available at any of several local cafes (not included in hunt price). A private hunting area is provided for each hunter with a high population of Javelina. The cost is $420.00 ($45.00 Texas license not included).

So you can figure after food, gratuity, and gas you will be looking at around 700 for the base hunt...

Plus there are a few options to consider....You can opt to stay an extra day for about an extra 100 bones....And the is an option of taking a cougar if the oppurtunity presents itself, but there is a harvest fee of 300 if you are lucky or unlucky enough to run into one...

Offline bowman69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
bump....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©