3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need glass layup advice!  (Read 300 times)

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Need glass layup advice!
« on: July 10, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »
Got everything prepped and layed up this morning.  Here is everything layed, prepped, and cleaned.

Here is my alignment blocks.  I have a set on each end and two more sets at the ends of the riser fadeouts.

Here she is all clamped up, but guess what.  I forgot to include the pressure strips!  What consequences can I expect?  I'm thinking the limbs may be wavy.  The stack is pretty thick at .408, so I think that may help me some.  How long should I cook the smooth-on at 165 degrees?  I have to leave work and go home and pull the plug on my heat box.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need glass layup advice!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
I didn't use a pressure strip on mine and everything came out fine.  I spaced my inner tube bands closer together though.  I also wrapped the bow in plastic wrap so I didn't get any epoxy on my form or alignment blocks.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
I was worried about starving all the glue joints if I relaxed the clamps and let the lams relax and pull apart.  The thought of applying more epoxy to all the lams that pulled apart was very intimidating.  I considered it, but decided to let it be.  I figured I would have to strip all the epoxy off and re-clean every lam to do it right.  I'm sure it will be ok structurally, but I am worried about the cosmetic side of it.  I had to make a quick decision, and didn't have time to ask questions before I took a course of action, or in-action as it were.  I have found tons of different recommendations on curing smooth on, is why I asked about the cure time.  They vary from 1.5 hours to 8 hours, and temps from 150-200 degrees!  I was afraid of getting the saran in between the lams, besides I hate that stuff.  I sprayed silicone spray on the form and blocks.  Hopefully it wont be too bad.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
Well folks, it's not as bad as I feared.  It was a bear getting it separated from the form.  Actually, I'm very pleased.  I learned some valuable lessons, but this one is gonna be a winner.  One of the glue lines at the fade is kinda thick, but not so much to cause any problems.  Not one bubble, no wavy surfaces, no problems at all.  Here are a few photos of it out of the form and cleaned up some.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
Looking good so far....more!

Offline Pluck Yew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
Apex, the fades are perfect.. that is going to be one beautiful bow!!! can't wait to see it finished!! right-on brother..  :notworthy:  

Shawn..
Give 'em the bird!

Offline Cupcake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
Apex,
Your bow looks sweet so far.  The picture of all of the glue on the form scared me and I knew you would be in for a wrestling match.

Saran wrap is a pain so I use 6 inch wide packing stretch wrap.  It is perfect for on top of the form and on the top of the bow.

I am going to glue up my second one in a week or two and plan on using a tip from kennym and squeegee the excess glue away from the sides of the limbs and onto the plastic wrap.

Offline SteveD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 05:04:00 AM »
Looks good. Nice work Great riser

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
Looks great. I love those limb veneers. Keep it coming!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
Looks great. Nothing more inspiring than a build along. Thanks!!
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »
Marty that looks Awesome Bro!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©