3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Single Bevel 3 Blade???  (Read 279 times)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Single Bevel 3 Blade???
« on: July 10, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
I have not immersed myself in all the Ashby stuff...just enough to make me dangerous   :D  

Has a single bevel on a 3 blade ever been tried?  Do the experts think it could be an advantage on a 3 blade compared to standard?  I wonder if the rotation would spin a hole thru the bone if there was enough power.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Single Bevel 3 Blade???
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »
Yeah - One guy (sorry, don't remember the name) said he did to Snuffers years ago way before the Ashby stuff and said he loved them but took some time to file them.

Whether its worth the time….. ???

"spin a hole thru the bone if there was enough power"....Trick question - right? ...8^)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 08:06:00 PM »
Steve if you ever get enough time to build some, send me one, I'll try it!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
I think this has come up before.  My search came up empty though.  The conclusion was to give it a try, but the concesus was that a three blade would retard the rotation somehow (I am not a physics major...)

Wouldn't hurt to try!

Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
The next time I stop in at Roger Rothhaar's, I am going to see if he has any old Snuffers w/o the grind and see what he thinks about all this single bevel stuff.  I am more curious now!

Ryan...will do.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
Should work great - would have to use/make a special jig to grind them, though.

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
The general argument against 3 blades is that they have  more drag/frontal surface area than 2 blades and that limits penetration.(I then to agee that penetration matters more than the size of the hole.)
This issue will be magnified if the front of the broad head becomes slightly deformed during impact

The main reason to use single bevels is bone pentration. Possible advantages in tissue damage and pentration are secondary - any well tuned and sharp broad head should get complete pass through if it misses all the bone.

So if you believe in the advantages of single bevels then its only reasonable to not uses 3 blade broad heads.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
Thanks.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 06:30:00 AM »
And if I would have read all the Ashby stuff before I asked, I would have found the answer here:

http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/2007update5.pdf

I am still going to see if I can find some Snuffers or Woodsmen without any grind to see how they compare.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©