3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: L.L. Bean Maine hunting boot  (Read 608 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
L.L. Bean Maine hunting boot
« on: July 10, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
Has anybody worn these in western Colorado elk hunting conditions ?  I have a favorite pair of boots and they are on their last leg.  

Considering a pair of these but not sure if they are suitable for up and down kinda hiking. I am not so worried about traction as I am the boot fitting to my foot so blisters are not a worry.

Comments ?
ChuckC

Offline woodslinger

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: L.L. Bean Maine hunting boot
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
I have a ton of miles in them and they are a good light weight fairly waterproof boot. They don't have a bunch of arch or ankle support and lack some cushion but you can feel the ground well. I like them for hunting the swamps and thickets here in Maine but would pick a different boot for the mountains.
Get up close and personal... hunt traditional

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
Chuck... Back when I was a lot younger I logged a ton of miles in Bean boots in the mountains of western Wyoming.

Never had a problem with them. If you don't have back problems or foot problems I recommend them.

They can be a little warm and cause your feet to sweat, but are one of the most comfortable boots you can put on your feet.

With the right sock(s)they are even comfortable in fairly cold conditions.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »
I have two pair and use them for eastern Washington deer/elk. They fit great, are light, very quiet, provide plenty of traction, keeps your feet dry, and lasts for years.  

I just sent one pair back (after more than 20 years of use) to have the rubber bottoms replaced after they developed some cracking.  LL provided great service and a quick return.

This is a wonderful boot for fall hunting conditions and would recommend.
Lon Scott

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
I wear them for pheasant hunting and as woodslinger stated they don't have much ankle support. I bought a pair of Danner Jackals to use for elk hunting this season. They have more support.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »
Thanks.. even more reports are welcome.  

I walk around a BUNCH in fake Croc's or whatever those stupid rubber things are called and they have NO support of any kind.  I would LOVE to go huntin in them, but would probably walk right out of them in a minute.  I don't have a bunch of problem with support, and I owned a pair of the pull on version all those years ago.. loved em.  Charlie you are right, and they are great for sneaking and such.

I am more worried that they won't fit my foot well and will slide around.  For my foot, that is what causes blisters.  The rest I can handle.

Still considering them.
ChuckC

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
I've worn out several pairs, including several trips to Colorado in rugged terrain. I currently have two pair. I alternate them so they can dry out between uses. The only time I don't hunt in them is when it's really cold, then I use felt-lined packs. I tried some Beans with thinsulate, but they weren't warm enough for me.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
Chuck, light polypro liner socks will go a long ways toward preventing blisters.  Even if your feet do slide around in the boot, it will be the liner socks doing the sliding, not your foot.  No blisters!

I wear beans boots a lot for hiking and stalking.  I'd think they would do fine unless you were packing  some meat.  You can keep a set of hikers in camp for that.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »
fletcher.  

I hear ya bout them liners.  I am adamant about those.  I always wear either silk or polypro liners and, believe it or not, heavy wool socks over those.  So far I have never had blisters in the mountians.  

ChuckC

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »
I am a person who wears my Beans all the time-while on flat ground.  I find that the torque on hillsides tends to roll my socks inside the boot.  They are light, quiet and warm on Fall days, but -JMO- they are not good in mountains.  I have more than a few miles in mountains around the world, and I have Danners for serious up-down and especially side hills.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
As everyone stated above the L.L. Bean hunting boots are generally excellent. That's about all I wore for almost 30 years in Montana with no problems. About 35 years ago they used to make a six inch featherweight rubber bottom/leather top that was the best stalking boot I ever saw. The tread wasn't the normal chain link deal but rather a series of little points that looked similar to wood checkering. Per usual, when something is good they quit making it. Totally coincidental, earlier this afternoon I was talking to the Croc people regarding a boot they are supposedly working on. Google up "Crocs" and hit on their footwear website. You'll see a model called the "All Terrain". Basically it's a shoe with Croc bottoms with three hole laced leather tops. They are an excellent camp shoe and I swear only weigh a couple ounces. Anyway, they informed me today they are supposedly bringing out a Croc model similar to a hiking boot that will be 6" high. The All Terrains are new and I have not tested them yet, but a similar boot with a six inch top to keep out the chiggers and seeds should be an excellent, extremely lightweight general bowhunting shoe. I know the bottoms supposedly mold to the shape of your foot so they should be exremely comfortable. We'll see. BW

Offline slabsides

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
The bottoms being rubber don't mold to the foot, which makes you slide around inside it. Hot in hot weather, cold in cold. I'm a Mainer who DOESN't care for the Bean boot, and I've had a pair for 30 years (they're good for shoveling the driveway.)
The Wise said: "This cannot be done." The Fool came, and did it.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
Ron: Yeah, that's the one I used for years to replace the featherweights. Because the rubber and leather were heavier duty they lasted longer than the featherweights, but weren't as easy to feel the ground. In recent years I've gone to the pull-on's for most whitetail hunting. Can you still lace a pair of boots all the way up without coming up for air? :^)  BW

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
I would not hunt elk in anything but a sturdy leather boot with good ankle support and a good fit to prevent blisters. Also I would not wear a new boot hunting. They need to be broken in somewhat.
Steep rocky ground can ruin your feet and your hunt if you are wearing the wrong boot.

John

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 12:04:00 AM »
Guys, I believe we are referring to the Main Hunting "Shoe," a specific model of boot that differs from a similar one they call the Main Hunting Boot. They're all I wear to hunt early season elk here in Colorado, with only an insert footbed liner. Quiet, essentially scentless, was waterproof as a leather-upper can be, lightweight and I just lace 'em up real tight for ankle support when backpacking or packing meat. I just wish they' put lacing hooks on the top half instead of eyelets, which are hard to use when your hands are cold. dave

Offline shootssmallbulls

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 01:40:00 AM »
I really enjoy mine they work great with a super feet insole.keep my feet perfectly dry. I use em fer moose huntin here in ak, the only downside is,in my opinion there alittle soft for my tastes,but I still love them and will use them for many seasons to come.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Remember when you sent your leather uppers back to Bean and they put on a new leather bottom?  I have some 16 inch leather s that need a new bottom.  They have lacing hooks-used to be an option.  I wear mine all winter long here in NV.

Barry, a few years ago I wouldn't have known what that air comment meant-I'm past 60 and understand-too well.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
Barry....I know what the coming up for air is, but since I lost thirty pounds it isn't necessary 8^).

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
Did I say I love my Beans?

Lon Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©