3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finger grooves on your grip: Opinions?  (Read 703 times)

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Finger grooves on your grip: Opinions?
« on: July 10, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
Any thoughts about finger grooves on your risers? Like 'em, hate 'em, don't care? Do you think they help you?

I recentley traded for a bow that has them. My hand does not even come close to fitting the grooves. My buddy thinks I should send it to the bowyer to have the grip redone. I think otherwise. The first groove fits my index finger, and that's all I'm really gripping the bow with anyway, so I think that that is all that matters. Any opinions?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finger grooves on your grip: Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
I talked about this with a very reputable bowyer recently and he said the grooves do not help in the least and that they were completely cosmetic.

BD
BD

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
I recently bought a Selway 2-piece longbow, with finger grooves...doesn't seem to matter much.  Like you say, I tend to shoot off the "web" between thumb & index...none of my other bows have them, don't seem to notice when switching back and forth....

$.02
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
Shrews have a thumb shelf, or "groove," and it feels great. Don't know if it helps accuracy, but the little Classic Hunter shoots darts.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 12:44:00 AM »
I think one or maybe two grooves feels the best.  My ring finger and pinkie finger just get all smashed togather when I grip a bow anyway.  Chad

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 01:20:00 AM »
The only bows I really "grip" are my longbows, and I think it wouldn't be bad if it were MY GRIP, and not just a couple of grooves sanded into the riser. ('Custom' pistol grips come to mind. They can make a pistol feel like an extension of your hand, or they can make it feel cheap and sloppy.)

Agree with Chad about maybe one or two grooves, just for consistant placement of the grip.

Cam

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 01:21:00 AM »
All Mikuta bows come with a thumb rest which I feel gives positive hand placement every time. Finger grooves...never did like them.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 01:50:00 AM »
I don't think it makes a difference. Just put a rubber Sure Grip on it.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
Finger grooves on a bow are like an appendix.  

They "may" have a purpose, but most of us can get along just fine without it.

I've owned a couple with grooves (Morrison and Border) and the grooves were only in the way.  They look fine to me, but I can do without it.
Lon Scott

Offline BobT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
I don't know if they help anything or not but the grooves on my Zipper fit me like a glove!

Bob
Bob

It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fence post than to shoot for the fence post and hit the ground!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »
I can't speak for anyone else, but my Zipper has finger grooves in it...and I shoot it so well its scary.

Why I keep fooling with other bows I don't know. I'm a killin' machine with that Zipper.

Ive had grooves in a longbow that did not help.

I think Bob Thompson knew what he was doing.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »
I had a Bears Paw recurve custom built for me that had finger groves and worked great . The bowyer had me trace my hand , ask me how I liked to grip a bow , and what style grip I liked . When I got the bow it fit really well .

mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »
I don't grip the bow like that.  My hand is more open with just the thumb and top finger or two touching, so finger groves would not help at all.

ChuckC

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
I've got a second hand Morrison w/ groves that fit so well it's like it was made for me. Does it help my shooting? Probably not, but dam it feels "right" when I hold and draw it.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
Anything that aids in repeatable hand placement on a bow riser is a "help". I grip the bow softly, but i lay those fingers across the back of the riser...no asbell two finger for me, as I shoot a heavy bow and believe the additional stability of that form of gripping is helpful in stabilizing things.

When I shot every day....not too long ago, I could shoot the wings off a gnats axx. I've picked the zipper back up...every time I do that my shooting improves measurably. I'm not laying it down again.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
Ray,
Don't let that ACS get lonely.

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys. I have had several Fedora's with the thumb rest and also a Toelke Whip also with a thumb rest and really like that type of grip. I currently have a Big East and my hand fits the same each and every time.

But now that I am shooting this Centaur with the finger grooves, which I believe is a fantastic shooter, but I really have no use for the grooves due to my grip style. Didn't know if anyone thought they really helped or not.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Arrow Slinga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
I have 2 Morrison's one with groves and one without both are great shooters but I prefer the grip with the groves.Fits like a glove, same grip every time.

Offline Stumpknocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »
Grooves are groovy.  I had Bob put them on my Shawnee and I absolutely love them.  Consistent hand placement and I love the way they feel. They look pretty neat, too.  Tge
Let's go to the woods and learn things about life (Penelope, age 4, to me).  

plx osage 62" 56@28
sax bocote 60" 54@28
Morrison Shawnee 56" 56@28

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
don't like em.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©