3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finger grooves on your grip: Opinions?  (Read 704 times)

Offline tacomadm18

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finger grooves on your grip: Opinions?
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
I shoot a Centaur with groves,,, if the groves fit "your" hand it's a plus,,,(my opinon) if not,,, i.e, purchased the bow from someone else,,, you might want to make sure your hands are about the same,,,

glen

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
Generally, the more you grip your bow with your bow hand, the more likely you are to twist the bow upon release.  Finger grooves look very cool, but to use them, you have to be gripping the riser.  Watch any olympic archer, and you'll notice their bow hands are very relaxed.  I know... we aren't olympians, but good technique minimizes variables, and variables are what make arrows go the wrong way.

So, get finger grooves if you want them... but don't use them.  IMHO.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
I just took em off my personal bow,they look cool,but I'm don't like to think about how to grip my bow while I'm shootin.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2008, 01:18:00 AM »
They look good but for me they really dont aid in more accurate shooting.Had about 5 bows with em and really made no difference for me personelly.I shoot some bows with real plain jane grips just as well if not better.The style and size of the grip is more important to me.I like a low to low medium and on the small side.

Offline stmpthmpr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 04:43:00 AM »
Seems to me the higher the wrist, the less need for finger grooves and as some have stated there is no need of them for high wrist thumb and forefinger shooters. That said, for medium and low wrist shooters, it's my opinion that custom cut finger grooves are a great benefit.

Grooves assure that the hand is in the same position every time. Like many here, I have owned dozens of bows. What I DONT understand though, is the idea that some talk about going back and forth between them.

I may take one down and shoot a few arras through it now and then, but I have that one bow that is a part of me. It gets ALL my attention. I feel neked without it. It fits my personality and it fits my hand.

I guess Im a bit supersticious to. I dont even like to change my string or my shooting glove. Also been wearing the same jacket since the 80's. Its faded and blood stained but it fits. I know I can shoot in any position without whackin it with my string. Same with my Bean boots. When I wore the tread off I put some back on with shoe goo. Best stalkin boots I ever owned.

Its the mental game... confidence in my equipment and translates into confidence in the shot and thats what bowhuntin is all about.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
Don't like finger grooves at all.  A little thumb rest I can take or leave but I don't want finger grooves.  I have never held a bow with grooves that felt right in my hand.  I have not held all bows so my opinion is subject to change.  Plain grip or maybe with some checkering feels just right.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline stmpthmpr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
I havent run into a bow with finger grooves other than the ones I build. This thread is an eye opener for me. Doesnt make sense that production bows would be built with grooves and if a guy has a custom bow fit to his hand and he later sells it, doesnt that say something about the bow?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©