3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone Wolf Sticks  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
Lone Wolf Sticks
« on: July 11, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
I have a Lone Wolf Alpha Elite stand. Anyone have any experience with the "regular" sticks versus the minis and can advise?

Thanks
Steve
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone Wolf Sticks
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
I am not aware of "mini's.  I have been using what I THINK are regular sticks for several years now (three steps each ,  maybe 24" long).  

I have several.... make that numerous.. ways to get up in trees.  They have all been sitting in the shed since I got the sticks.  They take just a little practice to employ quietly, but once you have a technique down (slow.. easy does it is the major ingredient)  I can go up a tree probably as fast or faster than a climber, start to finish and definately quieter.  

I think they are the cat's meow.   I feel safe using them.  They are easy to carry.   But they are not cheap.  

I have 4 sticks and use either 3 or 4 when setting up a stand.
ChuckC

Offline Chas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
I only use three regular sticks. I can drop my stand, take the sticks off, hook the stand to my rope, then climb the tree with three sticks, then hang by stand in under 10 minutes. That is without rushing anything. I believe that I would like to carry one mini just to get get a little higher.

Offline MikeBurns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
The most obvious difference would be how high you could climb assuming you use the same # of sticks. The mini's have two steps versus three on the regular. Distance between the steps is 15" for both. It's a personnal choice, carry less sticks but weigh a little more, or carry more sticks that may weigh about the same for the same height. A combination of sticks may work for you. It's a choice you'll have to make. I use 4 regular sticks and have for years and that has worked fine for me.
Sgt USMC '80-'87

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
You don't need the mini - Make a loop of good, strong rope and place it around the bottom 'V' bracket before strapping to the tree to get extra height.  I usually just use it on the bottom stick.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline MAGICMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »
I just started using the regular sticks last year and I will not use anything else. these are defanately the way to go.
Judge not less thee be judged yourself.

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
SCOTT.....thanks for the great idea  :thumbsup:
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »
You're welcome John!
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline BowsnLabs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
Regular sticks are awesome - quietest, fastest and most versatile method I've used - I highly recommend them!

Offline Ryan Bahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
the sticks are nice but check out the ameristep rapid rails, extremely light and a little more secure.   just a thought.

Offline Flatstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »
Like others here,,I have used the regular sticks for several years now and love them. But last year I bought a set of the "mini's" and use a combination of 2-mini's and 2-regulars.

I hang both the mini's while standing on the ground then hang the regulars as I go up. This gets me about 15-16ft up. I use to hunt higher but also like others,I have lowered my stand height over the last couple years.

But you want to talk "light & mobile" The set of mini's strapped onto a windwalker stand is a great combination!!
"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
I'm with Ryan. I've used lone wolf sticks for several years then last year I got a set of rapid rails to use with the tree saddle. Now I only use the lone wolfs' where I hang a stand and leave it for a while. Love the rapid rails much more.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
4 full size climbing sticks weigh 5 lbs less than teh ameristep steps. The ameristep steps look very nice as well. I would be hesitant to give up my lone wolf sticks though.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 01:46:00 PM »
Can't imagine anything quieter or more steathy than LW. 6-7 minutes I am up 16 feet with a new set-up every sit. . . others systems look too bulky to me. Sticks fit on ethafoam blocks on my stand.  Turkey vest with all stuff organized, stand on back and my bow in hand. . . always ready to hunt and keep moving as necessary. Heavier cold weather jacket bungees on the stand for carry in.

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
Dan,

I've been using the combo for years, but never thought about attaching them like that.  Do you have a "side view" pic showing the foam blocks better and how the two sticks are nested?  I love seeing something new and attaching 4 sticks to the stand for carry has always been an issue.

Thanks,
Joe

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 02:09:00 PM »
You can easily attach as many as you want.  I also modify the sticks:
1) attach one end of the strap to the vers-button with a zip-tie
2) felt on buckles and sticks where the buckle could bump the stick.
3) file the teeth on the v-bracket so they do not scrape.

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
Dan,

Thanks for the pic and the explanation.

Joe

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 08:14:00 AM »
Joe,

Dont know if you've tried stack em like this but it makes things easier to carry.....

"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
Yohon,

I see you have found a way (the only way I am aware of) to get around the buckle noise too!

I am stacking 4 sticks just like that right now.  

I am working on a way that I can pull them off one at a time going up the tree without taking the whole assembly off my back.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
steve.. what buckle noise ?
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©