3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone Wolf Sticks  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone Wolf Sticks
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 08:56:00 AM »
My buckles ALWAYS find a way to clunk something no matter how careful I am.  Those cinch ropes work great.

Offline Michigan Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
Yohon, where did you get the cinch straps for your sticks? Thanks, Jim

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
do they hold as well as the straps ?
ChuckC

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
You will have to search "other" archery sites for "Utility Constrictor Ropes" to find it.  I don't think it would be right to post a link here.

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
Steve O...I got them late this spring and carried em around while spring scouting/setting up stands and they are slick.Lightens things up and no "clunking" at dark thirty! Really lookin forward to Sept to get here but then again, arent we all  ;)

I would be real interested in how you have them rigged up to carry up the tree and take em off one at a time???????
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
Just curious. . . checked out the ropes. . .only problem I see is it would take two hands to tighten them down.  How do you do that while trying to climb?
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
Dan...don't tell me you don't use a safety harness...they give you both hands free.

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
Dan...I climb with a Simmons belt and its no problem that way but the rope itself is so slick that yes you use 2 hands but its pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it. I have set sticks without the climbing belt but its alot easier and safer with the belt.
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
Yohon.  I have not got it figured it completely out just yet, still working out details.  I will try to remember to PM you with the final details.

Offline ZA206

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
UCR's...

Hey guys, this is ZA206, the creator ofthe UCR's. If you have any questions about the UCR's please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

They do take two hands, but it's very very easy once you get the hang of it. You can actually put them up faster than the cam buckle straps b/c there is no "top" or "bottom" to them and no strap to get twisted and caught in the cambuckle. They are 4 oz lighter than the stock LW Cambuckle straps and about 6" longer (for my "standard" 6 foot UCR). I can make custom ones as long as you want. They work with the LW sticks, the Gorilla knock off sticks, the Summit Bucksteps and the Rapid Rails. If your climbing sticks use J-hooks on the end of the strap, the loop end of a UCR will slip into the J-hook, no problem.

They are $10 each (6 ft, loop to loop). If you want longer ones, I charge $.50 per extra foot. Shipping/handling is a flat rate $6 (USPS Priority mail).

I'm not on tradgang much, so if you want a quick response, it's best to e-mail me.

I'm happy that current owners of UCR's are happy with them!

Good luck this season guys, and I hope you all get the "biggun" you are chasing!

-ZA
ZA206

Clemson Tiger Fan
Bowtech and Black Widow Groupie

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008, 01:31:00 AM »
I even have a disabling inner ear vertigo disease- so it is essential I am careful. Using the harness on the way up has always seemed far more dangerous to me as you have to keep moving it and using your two hands to get it around limbs etc. Besides that, all your wt. is leaning "out" against it.  It is always cumbersome and far more awkward than the system I developed.

Of couse, I am 6'4' and have arms like a monkey, but I bear hug the tree with one arm as I climb and set the sticks.  I can do the whole thing with one arm, one time up.  Seems safer than a ladder at home.  Once I am at top (third stick set) - I attach my harness to the tree- then step up to top step, pull stand off my back and set it.  I step on the stand, adjust harness a little higher on the tree and pull up the bow.

Getting down is the reverse; I detach the harness only after the stand is on my back and I am down on the second stick.

It sure seems safer than depending on the equip. and the in-between times where you are screwing around with the harness between limbs and such.  I am not sure how you could do all that in addition to using two hands on ropes.  Seems far more awkward and dangerous to me. I like hugging the tree against my legs and torso- if the stick broke away (equip failure) I would simply hang on to the tree-then slide down a few feet.  Can't see how I would fall.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline jcprintz

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2008, 08:30:00 AM »
Dan:
As a treestand safety instructor, please don't leave the ground without being attached to the tree. 83% of all treestand related falls are from entering or leaving the stand.
TGMM,Family of the Bow

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »
Those rope things are a great idea!  Thats the one part of the LW system I don't like (strap buckles), as it's always banging on something no matter how I strap it on my stand.  I may have to look into those closer.

And for those that don't use a safety harness of some kind, please find one that you will use!  You're all too nice of people to be lost from a lapse of judgement or accident.  Safty straps are not harnesses, and can do more damage in a fall than good!  I had a couple that I couldn't stand until I got a HSS harness, now it's the first thing I put on after the camo - 4 clicks and I'm done!

Great things to learn on this forum!
Support the sport!

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
ZA206

Clemson Tiger Fan
"Bowtech" and "Black Widow Groupie"

I sold my bowtech wheels

?????????  
   :confused:      :confused:      :confused:    

just wondering flip floping ? how dose that work ?

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
ZA206,

With your custom ropes, you have solved my biggest concern with my Lone Wolf sticks.  

I've always loved my Rapid Rails with constrictor ropes. Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to a set of these for my LW sticks.  The best pack in stand/sticks just got lots better.

Email sent.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline ZA206

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
I'm not sure what you are reffering to... I own both a Bowtech and a Black Widow. I love shooting both of them.  :D  

-ZA

Originally posted by BrokenArrow1:
ZA206

Clemson Tiger Fan
"Bowtech" and "Black Widow Groupie"

I sold my bowtech wheels

?????????  
    :confused:        :confused:        :confused:    

just wondering flip floping ? how dose that work ?

Carl
ZA206

Clemson Tiger Fan
Bowtech and Black Widow Groupie

Offline Dave Schneider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
Dan,

I am with you on the harness.  Tried everything but still believe I am safer climbing without a harness in the way.

What do you do with the foam once you get to your tree?

Dave

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2008, 12:12:00 AM »
I haven't used a hang on stand in years........what size trees are you guys able to attach these to?  I've enjoyed using my climber for several years, just thinking that a hang on might allow hunting that one tree that a climber won't work on.

Thanks...

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2008, 01:15:00 AM »
My system for what its worth. . .

-Foam goes on the ground, usually throw some leaves over top ( I do wash them a few times each season).

-Belts on sticks are undone and make no noise with buckles and sticks felted

-stand goes back on my back

- I wear a supreme turkey vest which has easy access to snippers, saw etc. ( I do not use a pack-too cumbersome)

-one stick (stick #3) is just set up on a limb within reach

-attach stick #1 while on ground (sometimes I will have two screw-in steps first if extra height is needed)

-step on first step of stick #1 and leaning into the tree, attach stick #2

-step up on first step of stick #2

-grab stick #3 off the limb and again lean into the tree and attach

-step up on first step of Stick #3

-attach climbing rope to the tree above stick #3 (the rope is attached to the front of climbing harness or rope swiss seat [the cheapest and easy way to go])

- Climb up to top of stick #3

-re-adjust safety rope higher

-pull stand from back and attach it

- step up on stand

-re-adjust safety rope

-pull up bow

- Under ten minutes I am hunting- no noise and fresh stand.  I have set up within 50 yds of deer.  All the biggest deer I have encountered have been first time sits!  

-I do this everytime in and out. Often AM and PM are different sets.  Rarely hunt the same tree twice unless it is a few weeks apart or the funnel is just rut-crazy.  

-I have one stand and a set of sticks. I can also change trees quickly if wind changes or rut activity dictates.

I am going to try a TrophyLine seat this year.  Maybe even lighter!

Hope that helps. . .

Good hunting

Dan

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2008, 01:23:00 AM »
Oh yea- Chris, you asked about tree size.  I do not like too big of trees as my elbow hits the trunk when I attempt to draw.  I suppose the biggest is 18-24" dia.  Those are even rare for me though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©