3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone Wolf Sticks  (Read 1457 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone Wolf Sticks
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2008, 01:38:00 AM »
Pics of lw sticks with felt.  Buckles are zip-tied close to the stick.  I cut a pattern out for the buckles so the felt does not impair their function.

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2008, 03:52:00 AM »
Rapid Rails, only way to fly !! Scott, great idea !

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
Patrick,

I was referring to shooting a compound and then shooting a traditional, I tried that it didn't work for me, so I totally sold all my compound stuff.  But if it works out for you, it's all right I guess.

That's all I was asking.

It just made it difficult for me, more so the weight of the Bowtech, with all the gizmos, I just got to use to shooting traditional, a stick and an arrow.  But whatever it takes, it's all about the fun, and when you quit haven't fun, the better quit altogether.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline ZA206

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »
I enjoy it all brother!  :thumbsup:  

I'm not 100% confident in my abilities with the Widow yet (part time trad shooter = not so hot a shot yet!) to go hunting. However, I love shooting it when I have the time. I'm currently in the process of re-working my arrows for it (gotta find the right spine/head weight/lenght combo), then I'll eb all set.

It does make me a MUCH better shot with the compound, so practicing with it is like "doubling up". I'm prepping for my Sept. elk hunt and I want my compound abilities to be razor sharp before I go. Hopefully, by that point, I'll have gotten my recurve abilities up to a level I can hunt deer with it here in NC. I have the perfect treestand to use the Widow out of.

-ZA

Originally posted by BrokenArrow1:
Patrick,

I was referring to shooting a compound and then shooting a traditional, I tried that it didn't work for me, so I totally sold all my compound stuff.  But if it works out for you, it's all right I guess.

That's all I was asking.

It just made it difficult for me, more so the weight of the Bowtech, with all the gizmos, I just got to use to shooting traditional, a stick and an arrow.  But whatever it takes, it's all about the fun, and when you quit haven't fun, the better quit altogether.

Carl
ZA206

Clemson Tiger Fan
Bowtech and Black Widow Groupie

Offline JBanitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
I have been using the system for a few years now and love them.  The one down side is there method of straping them together can be a little bit of a pain.  Instead of there straps are rubber strap.  Works great.

Shoot them straight!

Offline Dave Schneider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
Dan,

I like that system.  My biggest problem with it is there are no limbs for the 3rd stick.  I end up climbing the tree several times to get set.

Where do you get the ethafoam?  I may have to try that.

Dave

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
I tried using 4 sticks but it had too much leverage stacked in line so I only use 3.  With ksdan mount the weight would be more even.  ksdan, how are the blocks mounted to the stand?  I would like to see some close ups also.  Thanks
                            Terry

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2008, 12:47:00 AM »
Dave- When no limbs I hang stick #3 by its strap on the top step of the stick #1.  I simply reach down and pull it up.

I would like to know where to get more ethafoam.  I made a set from regular foam sheet insulation and covered it with pieces of self-adhesive felt- worked pretty good- but etha is the way to go.

Terry- look close at the pics.  The ethafoam has a slot on the "backside" that fits on the vertical support of the LW stand.  Does that make sense?  I then use a bungee to hold it tight.  The gap between the blocks and the stand also give me a good place to carry a light coat or vest.  The whole thing is very streamlined and narrow.  I am really suprised that LW company does not produce this system- it is the way to go.

Good hunting

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
ZA206 - Do you have a website?

Offline ZA206

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Zbone:
ZA206 - Do you have a website?
No, I don't. I'll start a new thread here and post up some pictures for everyone to check out.

-ZA
ZA206

Clemson Tiger Fan
Bowtech and Black Widow Groupie

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
Just a bit of another twist on quieting the stands.. I just spray them with bed liner from the Auto parts store, does a great job too.
Ethafoam? Old water ski vest, garden kneeling pads, stadium seats etc.. Some are vinyl covered some are not. All are cheap.
Now if I could find a source for the black 1/4 rope.
I can find black and I can find 1/4" just not together
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Mike VanBuren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
This is the best way I've found to set up sticks:

Set up the first two sticks from the ground.

Carry the other two sticks on your side with the v-bracket in a rope loop. I use parachute cord tied into a 3 or 4" diameter loop. You can tie it on the sides of your safety belt (behind the linemen's hook-up) or to a Tree Saddle.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
I was asked to post pics again-closer up.  I tried here- a little fuzzy but I hope it helps.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
Here is another. . .

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
Dan, where do you get the foam?  I always see it in "white" or "pink", and that won't work!
(lot of great ideas on this thread, thanks all)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
Rich- everyone asks me that!  I used an old ethafoam target. . . I don't see them anymore.  But did make one out of the pink stuff and covered it with felt- worked pretty good.  But high density ethafoam is better. I sure think there must be some place to get it or come up with something else- like a lighter wood block or something. . .  Perhaps old block targets???

It would be a good product for someone to make on the side.  Any other ideas anybody?

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
3 Rivers is a sponsor so I think this is ok.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=8065

Lawn an garden section of most stores have similar ones at similar prices
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
I used that plastic foam that folks use for packaging electrical items. I cut it first as a round aerial target. I have extras so then I cut one in half as a half circle. Then I notched the flat edge for the seat stand.

Then I laid out the 3 sections I have, in a way so they fit nicely without any possibility to touch each other.

One note if you do it this way. The center notch-for placement of the middle segment is notched at less of a depth than the other 2 segments. So when I use the bungee cords, they keep tension on ALL 3 segments. This will aid in noise reduction.

All in all it took me 10 minutes to make 2 sets of foam blocks for the segments and it is totally silent to carry. I will try to get pics up on Sunday.
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
Here's how I cut mine. I hope this pic isnt too big. I edited in Photobucket to the proper size for here. Notice the middle notch on top isnt as deep as the 2 outer notches. This is so the bungee cords actually hold all 3 sticks by stress.

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
Another pic. I will hold mine to the bottom of the stand with the bungee's once I'm at the tree

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©