3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: noisy Fedora  (Read 775 times)

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
noisy Fedora
« on: July 11, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
for you guys with 560 Hunter T/D`s have you had any trouble getting them quiet...Ive got a 56 in. w/ebony riser/bamboo limbs that I just cant get as quiet as I want. Its got a D-97 string, big puffs, plus string leeches, brace had been anywhere from 7-8 in., right now its at 7 1/2..its 52@28 shooting a 458 gr. GT 35/55 drawn 28.5 in.
The only thing that makes it reasonably quiet isd shooting a 550-600 gr. arrow which I dont really want to do, try to keep my bows shooting in the 185 fps. range. Oh yeah it also has industrial velcro in the limb grooves. I already know I can shoot 11-12 gr.# so any help on getting the bow quiet with 8.5-9 gr.# appreciated.
The riser on this bow weighs over 3# so you would think it would be quiet with that much weight to muffle any vibration, it almost sounds like its just the limbs making the noise, was going to try limbsavers but no one has them around here this time of year unless I drive 35 miles.   :banghead:
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: noisy Fedora
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 02:53:00 PM »
Try Bow Hush on the string ends instead of the velcro.... think you'll see a big difference in noise level.

You'll find it on the sponsors list.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
I don't know much about his bows but have you tried B-50 about a 16 strand....I know most bows are flast flite ready but I still shoot B-50 and don't worry about the speed issue....Also I shoot woodies and that sometimes helps...Just my opinion and I am sure someone else could help this gentleman out...God Bless, Keefers <")))><

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
Good one Charlie I didn't even give them a thought...Keefers <")))><

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »
LOL - I thought you were camped next to them too at Sawmill this year.... YOu meant noisy Fedora BOW.   :banghead:    :banghead:    :biglaugh:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
Dean,  If you have no one to make you a B-50 flemish string and can't do one yourself give me the A.m.o. length and some kind of idea on the limb width and nock widths/size and it will be my pleasure to make you a string for nothing....Since you posted the pics of the Whip Terry is sending me I feel it is the least I can do....God Bless, Keefers <")))><

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
Ive got the string nocks double wrapped in wool already, forgot to add that..
 Keefer, havent tried a B-50 yet, appreciate the offer on the string might even take you up on it later..
  Ive got about everything on this bow you can get to get it quiet, I wouldnt say its super noisy just alot noisier then my Assenheimers or my Super Diablo. Never had one I couldnt get almost totally quiet, B-50 maybe my next thing to try.. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
Just p.m. me if you ever decide and I will be glad to...Keefers <")))><

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
Keefer, will do thanks.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
I have had a 3 Fedoras and the use of a B50 string will definitely quiet things down-you don't need to go heavy. I had very good results with 12 strand for the same weight bow-pad the loops a bit, and I think you will be very happy.

Online redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
Whats your nock height? I find shooting off the shelf, about 7/8" works on most bows.
Larry

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
another vote for the bowhush
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »
Im shooting off a homemade elevated rest made from 8 oz. leather so nock height is lower then normal....its not noise from nock height..

Keefer will shoot you a p.m. later tonite...Dean

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
Is there any "buffer" between the limbs and riser?  If not maybe a piece of cork or some drawer liner you can buy at about any store would help.  Make sure to check with the bowyer first, some don't recommend anything between the limbs and riser...Mike

Offline dc51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
Fedora told me to use 12 strand B-50 endless.
Mine is #46@28. The only other things I use are spider legs and some mole skine at the ends of the limbs under the string. Mine shoots very quiet. Don

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
On short bows, even though they're braced quite high, the limb tips tend to carry the string further down their length, i.e., they have more contact with the string, thus more likely to have more/louder string slap.  I agree with Charlie that the velcro isn't doing you any good in the string grooves, and may be exacerbating the problem.  Bow hush or perhaps even Dr. Scholl's moleskin would work beter.  Light arrows and a plucky release also contribute to noise.  Not saying you have the latter.  Just food for thought.     :)

Offline Ray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 07:52:00 AM »
Try raising your brace height 1/4,it may be an easy fix to try first.
 I shoot a Fedora xcellerator and went back to b50.Good luck Ray.

Offline davesonic444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
I have a Hoyt Gamemaster that i got a very acceptable noise level by using a skinny [12 strand 8125 padded loop] string.With a 12 strand of D97 it sounded like a 22 going off.With the skinny string the sound went to a slight slap on the leg.
Good luck,
Dave

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 01:11:00 AM »
If you think it is coming from the limb tips, I would  try dipping the string loops and string (down to the point where the string grooves no longer contact the string) in laquer thinner to remove all wax. Dip the string until it turns white and limp (typically about 20 minutes) and then wait a day before putting it back on the bow. I have had better results going this route instead of the bowhush.

BD
BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
Well I put limbsavers on the limbs tonite and that made it quite all it is now is a thud, only shot it a couple times in basement but sounded alot quiter, will shoot it outside Tues. when Im off work..if that doesnt work will try the laquer thinner and or B-50.. thanks again guys.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©