3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do you wear when it gets COLD?????  (Read 698 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
What do you wear when it gets COLD?????
« on: July 11, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »
OK,It's July!!!!! and it's HOT!!!!! So let's have some fun!!!!!

We all know that early bow season can be WARM.(even here in N.Y. temps get up into the 60's and 70's fairly regular)

For "typical" November bowhunting.....What are the average temps and what do you normaly wear?????

"Typical" November hunting temps here in N.Y. are usualy lows in the teens to highs in the 30's with a 0-10 mph wind.

Most times I wear either a pair of jeans,or wool pants (without long-johns) A 100% wool sweater agains my skin,and I tie a second sweater around my waist to put on while I'm sitting.Also,my ugly,stupid looking,(and VERY warm) red&black wool hunting hat,and rubber knee boots with one pair of heavy wool socks on my feet.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do you wear when it gets COLD?????
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »
Mr. woodchucker,
Our temps in Nov are usually -12 to -15 degrees below 0 (F) when hunting Caribou.
Best Wishes

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 01:12:00 AM »

Wool hat, wool bibs, wool sweater, and an Under Armor Cold Gear shirt
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 01:41:00 AM »
highs in 50s and lows in 30s when the best part of the rut comes around in early to mid November.

I'm usually in wool pants a turtleneck and wool jacket.

Schnee's boots and a wool beanie

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 01:56:00 AM »
I am very tolerate of cold, I get by with a set Cabela's light weight Merino wool longjohns under my regular weight camo down to say 10 or so. Then I need to layer more and add more wool. I put on silk longjohns then medium weight Merino wool longjohns then wool bibs and a Himalayan Wool sweater. I also wear an alpaca wool Andean earflap beanie under my heavy wool toque(stocking cap)If it's wet a set of frogg toggs over that. Base layer should be just and I mean barely just close fitting each layer after should be loose. No tightness anywhere or you'll loose your insulation and have binding when you try to move.
Silk liner socks and wool over socks and a pair of boots 2 sizes too big in pack boots if sitting and hikers if walking.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 06:50:00 AM »
Chuck down in  Orange county ( Walden) I use to drees very much like you when I was in my 20's.

Now in the the late 60's  years young, I always have a large pack and have lots of extra's to put on if needed.

The longer you sit the colder you sure will get. So in the pack is two extra sweat shirts, a full qt size thermos, plus lots of misc extra's.

I wear to the stand, if under 20 degrees a set of Mellen  wool pants, t-shirt and coat. I leave the coat open when walking to the stand.

Once I get to the stand I wait about 15 minute to kool down and then will add the sweat shirt, and a full face mask. I also ware good heavy rubber boots and one set of light socks. I carry in the pack a extra set of 14 inch wool socks that I put on in the stand.  I also have a wool heavy duty (radar o Reiley ) type cap. I also  do not wear the hat on the way to the stand. If all fails and I am cold then it time to still hunt...
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 07:07:00 AM »
Living in the south and getting older have lowered my tolerance to the cold. I regularly hunt up north in November and have tried nearly everythiing over the years to ward off hypothermia :-)
No matter what over layers I use, I've found the webfoots bodysock to be the ultimate underwear. Best $150 I've ever spent.

https://www.cdsportswear.com/
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
in november it still get up to about 80 here in texas, sometimes even higher.   so i wear the coolest thing i can
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
Always have this with me.

A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
Hey Chuck!
Whatever's in the "BIG BAG"!
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »
CAMO!!!!  :biglaugh:  

Older Cabelas Cold Gear line of a parka and bibs.  Down right cozy.....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
When it's cold....Ullfrotte wool long johns and Sleeping Indian Wool.  Bibs and Pullover.
Otto

Offline Slickheadhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
In northern NH the temps can get down right frigid.I have very low tolerence for high heat,I cant do anything except sweat.So when the cold finaly gets here I love it,and If im moving around a little all I wear Is this.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b5cf35b3127cceccc8ba42d04b00000010O08QaOWjZu2aA9vPgY/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/
A good clean kill or a good clean miss...I thank the Lord for both!

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
When it's really c-o-l-d-d-d, I'm usually dressed in the sweatpants and old think shirt I wear around the cabin all the time ... because much below 32 my fingers go numb, I start shaking, and I can't draw a bow much less shoot accurately. A curse of being thin with low blood pressure. Another reason I love the early archery seasons! Wimpy ole' dave ...

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
WOOL!

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
I wear anything but cotton if I can help it. Took me a long time to figure that one out. I have two layers of fleece and something to block wind on the outside, then my leafy suit. I also started to hike in to my spots dressed very lightly. At first you feel insanely cold but once you walk for 1/4 mile, you feel pretty warm, then I put on the rest. I really want to give wool a try as most experienced cold temp hunters rave about it.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 06:28:00 AM »
Gee Ron, Everyone says those "jeans" are a No,No.....    :confused:       :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 06:48:00 AM »
hey you americans should check out the range of clothes by 'stoney creek'. they're standard wear in new zealand and cold places in aussie. great gear. a mate of mine hunted B.C. a few years ago. he said the canadians loved his stuff.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
Gee Ron, Everyone says those "jeans" are a No,No  
Those aren't Genes, they're mine..   :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
I will go with BIGGIE on the WEBFOOTS !!!!

I live in Indiana and hunt late bow season quite easily in my body sock and wool.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©