3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do you wear when it gets COLD?????  (Read 697 times)

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do you wear when it gets COLD?????
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
How cold are ya talking about?  It was -25C with a stiff wind last fall when I was out.  That's purty cold.  I've started using a "heater suit" that my wife and I made.  I also made some really, really big booties that fit over my felt packs. Coyote fur mitts and a muskrat hat and I'm not too bad at those temps.

have fun

the chef

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
swandri 100% new zealand made warm as toast
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
Dang Jeff, I thought you wore chiggers.  :readit:    :wavey:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
The only thing I've would that keeps me reasonably warm in sub-zero temps is a Gander Mountain TecH20 4-in-1 parka. With a couple layers of polypro and fleece I can tolerate the cold.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
Florida savannah ext scent lok all year long.  

Shawn

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
I dress in layers and I don't find October or November in Michigan cold after having lived in New York for 60 years. I like top wear a light jackey and have a doen vest if needed.

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
That should read jacket and Down Vest.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
I've never been really tolerant of cold temps so I go to great lengths to stay warm. While some folks say it doesn't get cold enough down here in the South, just ask ol Iron Bull what he thinks about WY 20 degrees vs. Southern 20 degrees. Must be something with the humidity.

Anyway, Under Armor boxers, Under Armor Metal Gear top, Under Armor cold gear bottoms for a base layer. Ulfrotte 600gm wool zip up top mid layer (and Ulfrotte 400gm wool bottoms if it's really cold). Cabela's down vest, Day One Camo insulated pullover. Day one Camo fleece bottoms, poly liner sock, wool blend socks, LaCross 1200gm insulated rubber boots. Under Armor face mask, Under Armor beanie. A few of the hot hands heat packs thrown here and there. There are some mornings I would love to have on more, but this is about the most I can put on and still shoot.

Unless I'm hunting on my own property, I typically have a 1/2 hour to 45 minute walk so I leave the truck in just the underwear and maybe wool mid layer...freeze the first 10 minutes until my body heats up from the exercise. The key for me is NOT sweating too much before layering in the stand. I can use much less if I'm relatively dry when I finally get up there. Although I thought it was a gimmick at first, under armor has definately made me more comfortable because of it's ability to move sweat away from your body and keep your base layer dry.

Looking forward to trying out some of the Sitka gear in the future. I have high hopes it will further increase my comfort.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »
Weather during our archery season is almost always hot ( unless I invite a texan) so it's mostly tee shirts.
My winter hunting is way different and I use mostly layered stuff with wool being a big part of it. I plan on adding one of Ron's shirts to my collection of wool for this winter.

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »
Ron,
But you is out of them...

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
When it gets really cold I wear my robe and house slippers.
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
I wear my Longhunter shirt and dress in layers underneath. Along with my WOOL pants.

If it's not too cold I wear CAMO!!!       :bigsmyl:
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
i only  have chiggers on when i am in the us  and they are supplied  free of charge by big ronhuntalot as he has heaps of them where he hunts. thanks again for the chiggers ron  :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
The only thing better than wool, is another layer of wool. Keeps you warm no matter what!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mark Trego

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
Filson wool long underwear, woolshirt, woolpants, wool bibs, Long Hunter Shirt, Stormy Kromer Hat, and if its real cold wool coat over everthing. I almost forgot, the best wool socks money can buy.
" It's Five O'Clock Somewhere"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©