3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HIT insert ???  (Read 186 times)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
HIT insert ???
« on: July 12, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
How to keep them in the arrow withot glueing? I have heard of saran wraping? anyone try this?.

Not wanting to glue them till I get through bareshafting and tuning? trying different weights and things.

Ideas??

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HIT insert ???
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
Just glue 'em in & trim from the nock end  ;)
Alternatively, shoot into an old, soft target so thatyou gett passthroughs & just push the inserts in with no glue. They're normally quite a tight fit (this has been my experience with MFX shafts anyway. YMMV)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
Yeah I just pushed them in this morning and they do fit tight it is just that when they strike the weight tube keeps going right behind the brass insert attached to the 200 grain field point. It is that whole weight in motion thing that is killin me!

Yeah I can trim from the nock end I guess but am trying to get away from that cause I would have to trim with a dremel, not too accurate.

I am going back to try the saran wrap thing this evening I hope.

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:31:00 PM »
Thats the way I do mine,I use saran wrap to hold the insert snug enough for bareshafting before I glue them in.It also depends on the type of target you are shooting into.I use a 2" thick foam target in front of a soft bag target,the foam target holds the position of the arrow and the bag doesn't grab tight enough to pull the insert back out with the saran wrap holding it in.This method works good but you need a soft target to shoot into,I do all my carbon tuning this way.I don't like to use any heat or hot melt glue for tuning carbons and it is quick and easy to do this way.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
I believe I saw a post of yours before JRY, that is where I got the saran wrap idea. Gotta get me a burlap sack to stuff.

Thanks

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 01:02:00 AM »
Alot of people including my-self use hot melt glue. Low temp stuff Walmart sells in their hobby dept, works fine. Just put the insert on a field point, heat it up and put on some hot melt glue. Slip it in let it cool. Just don't put much heat on the carbon shaft, only on the feild tip and insert. Heat tip and pull to remove.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Four2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 01:39:00 AM »
Use just a very small amount of super glue.  When you are done, dribble some acetone or goop-off down the shaft and apply a little heat with a hair dryer.    Take an old field point, screw it in and then grab with some vice grips and twist.  Should come right out.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
Thnaks yall for the help, trying to get them bareshafted tuned and dont wanna glue till I am done. I am not sure if I am gonna use brass inserts or not yet. Not sure if I need the extra weight or not. will be 325 with the brass or 225 without. If I stick with my phantoms I can use the brass jobbers and keep 225, WWs I just bought will be 325 with the brass?? just first time going heavy up front and am unsure how much is needed.

J
Always be stubborn.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©