3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: quick question; fred bear  (Read 658 times)

Offline sticks

• Trad Bowhunter
quick question; fred bear
« on: February 21, 2007, 02:11:00 AM »
some years ago a read an article which was an interview with ted nudgent about fred bear. i recall in that article ted talked about how fred bear at some point put a sight on his bows and i'm just looking for some clarification. anyone know if this is true or not? a friend an i were having a conversation and the subject came up. just wondering if my mind is as sharp as it used to be, i'm getting old heh. any help would be a plus.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: quick question; fred bear
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 03:50:00 AM »
Some of the old Bear Takedowns had built in the riser sight pin slots.
 I think he mentioned taping on matchsticks at one point- but he didn't hunt with sights that I have ever heard of.
 He was making bows that had sights; as I mentioned; and I bet he tried them out- in fact I think it would be silly to think he didn't.
 But he was an instinctive shooter.
I have met Nugent and Fred Bear; and I cannot think of any two people that were so completely different.
 Fred was humble; he liked mixing with the crowd; he spent most of his time getting a chuckle out of life.
 Fred accepted people for who they were; and didn't feign interest in people and their stories and questions.
 Fred was a gentleman of the highest order.
From what I have seen from Nugent; I don't think he has the capacity to understand anything that Fred said; so perhaps take it- the article- with a grain of salt.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 07:26:00 AM »
I have seen a pic taken of Fred back in the 30's or 40's, he is shooting a lemonwood longbow with a sight, holding the bow straight up and down(target style(LOL).

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »
Fred used to use sights during his early target shooting days.  He also shot right handed then.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
I feel you may want to view some more info on Ted. Where he appears to be wild, he is but one of the most articulated and educated persons u will meet.  Sure he shoots instinctively with a compound and runs around stage with a loin cloth, but do not doubt he ability to understand anything that anyone says.
Yes Fred was everything you said and more.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline sticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
i'll have to agree, mr nudgent is a very smart guy. if you hunt he's one of you're best friends and stands up for the sport more than most anyone else these days.

thanks for you're time guys

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 06:33:00 PM »
You also may want to know that Fred and Ted's dad were friends. Fred used to stop by there house and shoot, (Teds dad used to make some archery equipment that Fred used thats how they met), Ted then a small boy used to retreve arrows for them. Ted has hunted with Fred and Fred had a lot of respect for Ted. Fred also saw that Ted could reach a lot of young people that the older archers could not and led him to do so. Ted has an emence respect for Fred and his memory. One thing about Ted, he says what he feels and is one of the most honest guys out there.

Disclaimer: I have never met eather but have read a lot of history about both.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©