3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need a new sleeping bag  (Read 291 times)

Offline JDice

• Trad Bowhunter
Need a new sleeping bag
« on: July 12, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
I have a 0 degree down bag that is great for warmth, light weight, and compressability. However, as it is down, it is terrible in wet conditions. Accordingly, I want a 0 degree synthetic bag that comes as close to possible to emulating the qualities of down. As part of my research on the right bag for me - I want to start by asking for your thoughts on good synthetic 0 degree bags.

Thanks

Offline Andrew Kreppel

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need a new sleeping bag
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
try EMS.
RH 47@28 Darton Valiant SL
LH 35@28 Indian Archery Warrior

Offline Muskoxman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
I have a wiggy's  bag I really like. You can really compress them down small. The military uses them, once in a while you'll see them in the surplus stores.

John
BW PRS V 56in 56@28

---------------------------------
If it ain't one thing ,it's ten others

Offline Steve B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
Wiggy's Lamilite insulation or the new Climashield insulation that you find, for example, in TNF Snowshoe bag.  The quality and features of the bags themselves will make a difference too, of course, so you'll have to try the bags out for fit and feel to fine tune the search.  
Kifaru has a newer bag out with the climashield insulation that is supposed to be good also, but the price is higher than the othe two that I mentioned.

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
Synthetics are nice, but they will not compress like down.  You could also consider a waterproof bivy sack to put over your down bag.

I recommend going somewhere you can handle the bags before you buy one.  If compressability is an issue, you'll want to scrutinize them in a packed state, unpack it and then see if you can get it back to the small size you want.  My experience has been that they are hard to get into a small package once they have been unpacked.  Also, it is very important to keep your synthetic back unpacked and not compressed when storing it.  Wiggy's bags will have about the longest lifespan under compression.

If getting the bag into a small stuff sack isn't a concern, then you have a ton of good options.  Wiggy's makes a good bag.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline JDice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »
I have tried the bivy sack option with my down bag - it didn't work as well as I would have hoped. Plus the weight and size of the sack compromised the weight and size values of the down bag.

After synthetic fill - warmth to weight is my primary consideration - compressability is a nice to have feature.

I agree that that bags should be stored "loose" to maintain loft.

I agree completely about handling bags (and most anything else) before buying.

Andrew, John, Steve, and Jeff - I appreciate the input.

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
Try a Big Agnes bag with the insulated air core pad! You won't regret it.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »
Also have a Wiggy's that I really like.
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »
0 degrees is mighty warm, even for a down bag.  A synthetic bag rated to 0 degrees might be unacceptably bulky.  Unless I knew I was going to be regularly sleeping in sub-zero temperature, I would rather get a 15 degree bag and bring extra layers of long underwear.

Another thing that will help if it's really cold is a well made tent that is no bigger than you need.  You can lose a lot of heat trying to warm up a big tent.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
down bag in goretex bivy, or down bag with waterproof laminate, like the Conduit SL by Mountain Hardwear, for exemple. other brands have it, cheaper or more expensive. a few sites:
mountaingear.com
campmor.com
ems
rei.com
mountaintools.com
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
I prefer BA bags with the full length sleeve built in the bag bottom to insert your pad. This eliminates the bulk of insulation on the bottom of the bag. The added bonus is you'll never slide off your pad.

I tolerate cold a bit better than most and I use a 15degree Encampment and do well where others may prefer a 0degree bag. I did a five day backpack hunt with this bag where the daytime temps were never above freezing and the highest overnight temps were 17degrees. This hunt came directly behind a five day bear hunt out of a spike camp sleeping in the same bag. I only used a thin ethafoam German military fold up pad along with a 3/4length ultra light air pad and the BA felt like a feather matress to me after a days hunt when I hit the sack at night.

later,
Daddy Bear

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 01:38:00 AM »
If it's o degrees, could there really be any risk of getting it wet?
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline mike319

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 06:46:00 AM »
1 more for wiggy bags they are grt use my in the boundary waters alot.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
Big Agnes with their Insulated Air Core pad is the most comfortable sleeping bag system there is.

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
My down bag is a Big Agnes.  Very nice and having a place to put the pad is an extra bonus.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline ryped

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
wouldn't buy anything other than Wiggy's, plus awesome customer service.

Offline aplehr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
bought mine from a large outdoor chain that begins with a c., it cost less than 150.00.  it has three different kinds of synthetic insulation warm as any sleeping bag made - but bulky and heavy.  the most expensive sleeping bags are the lightest and most compact, and are not usually the warmest.  the most important feature for any cold weather sleeping bag is to have an enclosed foot area, the zipper should start somewhere around your knee.

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
JDice,

Anything by Northface!!  I am very cold natured and have found the temp ratings don't mean anything....at least for me that is.  I'm a hot weather Texas boy and can't stand to be cold...at all.  So I got a Northface sythetic bag that is rated for 40 below (don't laugh) for my September elk hunts.  Last September was my first hunt with it and for the first time ever I was warm at night.  Northface makes excellent equipment and they have bags of various temp ratings.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©