3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Given the choice, which would it be?  (Read 192 times)

Offline TroyH

• Trad Bowhunter
Given the choice, which would it be?
« on: July 12, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
If you were going to make, or even buy, a glass laminated bow and had your choice of core wood and laminates, what would they be?
Formerly known as PastorHunter.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Given the choice, which would it be?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
Cedar, yew or bamboo would be my choices, but in reality I find very little difference in the shooting qualities of any of the core materials I've shot.  Looks tho, vary widely, but that is your choice.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
Bamboo is my favorite core wood. I like risers to have some mass but not too much. I guess there would be alot of choices for that.
 Not into bows that are too pretty. I tend to hunt hard with them and end up using limb covers or snake skin like my RER.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »
action wood, second choice would be bamboo
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline stmpthmpr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 05:32:00 AM »
Maple action wood. Ive done some heavy duty testing in some of the harshest conditions Alaska dishes out. Have never hand any delamination or other problems that using softer woods and mixing dissimilar woods can bring.

Built a bow in 1992 without tip overlays using action wood core and under glass and put a twelve strand fast flight string on it. Purposely dry fired it over ten times. Leaned it against a tree on Kodiak Island for a full ten day hunt. It poured down rain for nine of those days. Hunted moose with it the next season and used it to whack the brush while calling (do that with My favorite as well). Anyway... you get the picture. It took the abuse and is still a shooter.

There are purdier woods to put under glass, but for strength, uniformity, and durability, you cant beat action wood. Im with Ian... bamboo's my second choice as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©