3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: have any of you bowhunt during gun season?  (Read 1257 times)

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
have any of you bowhunt during gun season?
« on: July 13, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
I never thought of tryin it before, i read that some hunters have,
you ever been givin any trouble for doin so?
thanks!

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: have any of you bowhunt during gun season?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
i stopped hunting with a gun quite a few years ago (with the exception of quail with a shotgun).  i don't know what you mean by "trouble", but i have taken some good natured "ribbing" before.  i haven't seen a problem in Georgia but can't speak for other locations.
Randy
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
I have decided to put the gun away this year for big and small game last season I bowhunted during gun season when my scope was having problems and I had two deer come within bow range in that two day period, so I figured I'd hunt hunt deer and rabbits this year with a bow only
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline pointy sticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »
last two years my weapon of choice has been my longbow. big game or small, the rifles have stayed locked away in the cabinet.
make em pretty and shoot em straight.

Secretary and Membership Chair
Bowhunters Association of Nova Scotia

Traditional Archers Association of Nova Scotia (member)

Archers Association of Nova Scotia (Member)

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »
traditional all year long    :archer:
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
I haven't, but I would like to. Seeing that I now love to hunt traditional only and have put my guns up for sale- to go towards another Longbow.
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »
SOLD ALL MY GUNS COUPLE YEARS AGO, BOW ONLY FROM HERE ON OUT, NOW I CAN PRETTY MUCH BOW HUNT FROM MID SEPT THRU MID DEC, NOW I'M AT PEACE, AS FAR AS TROUBLE, I JUST GET ALOT OF RIBBING,BUT REMIND MY BROTHER AND HUNTING BUDS THAT ALL OF THE DEER I HAVE TAKEN WITH GUN,EXCEPT ONE,WERE IN BOW RANGE! PUT A NICE LITTLE BUCK IN THE FREEZER LAST YEAR,TAKEN MID RIFLE SEASON,WITH THE BOW! NO MORE RIBBING FROM MY BROTHER!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
Yes, I have and continue to do so.  I also have an interest in flintlock rifles, so I am playing with those a little during gun season.  Won't be long and you won't have much choice but to archery hunt during gun season, if you want to use a bow.
Dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
I wish they would let us bow hunt the rifle season here in Nebraska. But they don't.. first weekend is a war out there, but a lot of good hunting goes to waste after that as most gun hunters have either filled and gone home,, or just gone home.. I envy those of you that have the choice.

I have always figured if I was going to get shot during the 9 days of He**, it really doesn't matter what kind of weapon I have.. I am no safer with a 300 Magnum hanging next to me then I am with a Kodiak Magnum on the hook.

I say if you have the choice,, put your orange on and go for it.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »
around where i live its not safe to bow hunt during gun season people will shoot at anything around my parts
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
For the last 15 years I have been tagged out by rifle season, not a brag,just the best bowhunting here in KY is early, the first 2 weeks of bow season, and the 3 weeks before gun season. In the past I have hunted with a bow a little during gun season, I usually get back and let the gun hunters drive them to me. I hunt a lot on ridges that run out into Lake Cumberland, and if you hunt the end of the ridges, deer will circle out and bed on them to get away from lazy gun hunters who ar closer to roads, fields. Sam.
samuel koger

Offline Walter Mauney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
Every year. I tend to have more success later when it cools down a bit.
Yours truly,
Walter

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »
thanks for the quik reply guys, I guess I shouldnt have to worry next gun season in cedar city =]

Offline TroyH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
Where I presently live, I only hunt with my bow.  I have shot deer during gun season.  Never had any problem.  However, one evening I was walking out.  It was too dark to see to shoot but you could still see outlines against the sky.  I happened to look up and notice a gun hunter about 40-50 yds away in a huge tree platform.  It gave me an eerie feeling as I hoped he didn't mistake me for a deer.  Since he would have been looking down, he probably couldn't tell what I was.
I do occasionally gun hunt back home in OK as I have a lifetime license.
Formerly known as PastorHunter.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
All the time......
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
I've hunted and taken game with flintlocks, handguns, shotguns, rifles, etc., through the years and have grown and learned much during that time. I've reached a point in my life where I find most satisfaction out of hunting from the hunt itself with the greatest joy coming from a simple stick and string. Nothing wrong with other weapon choices, but none quite match the overall satisfaction I get from going afield with bow in hand.

I'm not too concerned what others think of my using a longbow during rifle season. As long as I strive to stay above board and lead by example, most who I've encounter respect my dedication. But, there is always room for a bit of ribbing(going both ways) :)

later,
Daddy Bear

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
All I do is bow hunt... I like it when the orange army pushes the deer my way....just stay up in the trees when others are banging away

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
I am an archery nut and a gun nut. I also like to "hunt" fish with a graphite shaft (rod) and reel and mainly flies, although I use other lures and even bait on occasions. Being in the outdoors with whatever hunting tools I choose is a wonderful experience that always brings me closer to God and His incredible creations. There is nothing quite as nice to take hunting as a simple stick and string, but a nice rifle or shotgun can also be a thing of beauty in my opinion. In these days when outdoorsmen are a diminishing segment of our population and more and more people hate to see anyone out hunting, those of us who love the outdoors and choose to hunt using any weapon need to respect one another and stick together. I know some of the Trad Gang members choose to hunt only with traditional bows and I certainly understand that feeling. Sometimes I start to think that way too. But then I pick up one of my rifles or shotguns and really have a good time shooting it. Someday I may confine my hunting to shooting stickbows, but not yet. I do like them the best though. Twenty years ago I went to Jim Dougherty's archery shop in Tulsa, Oklahoma, to buy a little recurve bow for my 5 year old son for Christmas (he still has it). Jim helped me pick out the right bow and some arrows for my boy and we talked for quite awhile. He told me that at the time his elbow was bothering him quite a bit and he had not been shooting a bow much, but that it didn't bother him a lot because one of his favorite things to do was to go turkey hunting with a shotgun like he had done since he was a kid. I enjoy that too. The point I am making is that even the great legends in archery are often also very fond of guns and fishing rods -- anything that lets them get out and hunt something. Enjoy hunting with the tools of your choice, especially if it is trad archery gear!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »
all the time, yet I have to deal with dog hunters, which is fine. In the area now they know I will take a deer in front of their pack if it stops. Just gotta catch their dogs and bring em out with me! LOL

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
I bow hunt during PA rifle season. The gun crew I hunt with always asks... are you really gonna hunt with that thing?  I have more fun then they do, trust me.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©