3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ACE spine tester question  (Read 516 times)

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
ACE spine tester question
« on: July 13, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
For those of you that have them, how is the best way to get an accurate reading? I've found that if the shaft is straight, I can spin it in the tester and get a range of spine usually within 4 lbs. My question is if this is the correct way of testing. If I just let the weight "fall" on the shaft and bounce back, it can range 15 lbs from one side of the shaft to the other. I understand grain orientation, but this seems excessive.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ACE spine tester question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
When I align the grain properly and zero the tester and check the spine, then turn the shaft 180 degrees and do the same, I get identical readings. Are you re-zeroing the scale after rotating the shaft and measuring from the same point along its length?

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
I set the weight so it just clears the shaft at 0, maybe a paper width clearence. On some shafts, not all, when I release the weight the shaft wants to turn (rotate) to the weak side. If I hold the arm at 0 and just let it go, it drops on the shaft and bounces back up some. If I lower the weight gently I get a 10 to 15 lb. difference in spine. I'm trying to spine with the gain running vertically like this llll. It's my understanding that this is the correct direction.

I guess what I'm looking for is a lesson on how to spine an arrw correctly.    :help:   :pray:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
Shafts that rotate on the spine tester as you mentioned, are those that have noticeably weak sides and should be discarded. That type of shaft will be difficult to keep straight and are usually more trouble than they are worth.
 The weight should be lowered gently on too the shaft, not dropped.
You are correct in your grain orientation, it should be vertical.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
Brent, are these hardwood shafts you're testing? What you discribed is a tell tell sign of shafts not properly seasoned for arrow-making.-ART B

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 05:44:00 AM »
Brent, I had some of my fir shafts doing the same thing, make sure that they are straight, if they have a bow in them you will read different from one side to another unless you re zero.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
Aromakr has good advice.  He's been at it a long time, and, as usual, he's right.

Offline jered 203

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
I am sure that Bob Mayo, owner of Ace archery, would be happy to answer any questions you have. Just give them a call. He's one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 07:32:00 PM »
Arrow shafts that have a big variation in spine around the circumference will twist in your hand when you try to straighten them. They go in the goose decoy/tomato stake bin when I find them.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©