3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bicycling bow hunters  (Read 1535 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bicycling bow hunters
« on: July 13, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
I've used a bicycle in the past for hunting and they work great. It gets you where you want to go quickly and quietly. My back carry rig solves the problem of toting the bow and arrows. This is my latest bike, made by Giant, they call this model the "Suede". It has a nice big comfortable seat and high handle bars. The pedals set a little more forward than normal and the 7 speed is plenty for town or back trails. I got the large frame model which fits me better than the standard size.

Any other biking bowhunters?

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bicycling bow hunters
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »
how do you get a deer back if you shoot one?
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »
Yea Ron , my father and I use bikes when we hunt on game land that doesn't allow 4 wheelers . I have also used bikes for stump shooting when I lived near a long dirt road a few years back . That was alot of fun and good exersize but if I went now I would have to go alone . Just dont have any hunting buddys that like to do things like that any more .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
Ian ,
My Dad made a little buggie and hook up system that we use on ours to pull deer out with .  

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »
how do you get a deer back if you shoot one?  
Like this..   :goldtooth:  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
MY GOD.....BLUE CROKS  

Yep Ron Bicycling Gangster here Too. Especially at the price of Diesel   :scared:  

The State says I gettin to old to Drive, so I reminded them that you were here before dirt and still drivin.....They relented for this year anyway..........Yer lookin GOOD there Hoss.

Offline woodslinger

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
Yep. I use my mountain bike to get me in close to my stand sites. We have a lot of logging roads and public land areas that do not allow vehichle access and the old bike sure beats walking. My bike is also a Giant but the model is Rainer.
Get up close and personal... hunt traditional

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
I enjoy riding mountain bikes and have been lucky as one of my jobs is that I've been paid to ride mountain bikes professionally since '94. It gives me access to some great equipment and other than one bad racing accident with major injury, it has kept me physically fit and far younger than my actual years.

Problem I have is most of the areas I hunt are mountainous where I'd spend more time carrying the bike over obstacles than riding. Flip side, my family has a farmhouse and farm outside of St. Charles where we have hunted for decades. That area is fairly flat making the mountain bike a great tool. My wife is at the farm now with our children and she told me on the phone last night that she's averaged over 10miles each day.

If you think the bike in good terrain will limit your ability to haul a deer, look back at the VC/NVA during 'Nam and note the hundreds of pounds of stuff they hauled on each clunker bike through the jungle trails.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/Vcporters.jpg

later,
Daddy Bear

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 06:23:00 PM »
I use one to hunt gamelands as well.I have saddle bags on the back like Ron.In NC we have call in check-in and can buther where it lands.A de-boned NC size deer is no problem bringing out in a pack or the bags.I just used a cheap Walmart special but am more of the normal sized guy.  ;)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
:notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
MY GOD.....BLUE CROKS  
So ya don't like my rubber moccasins?    :saywhat: ......  

They may not be traditional but...dang!...they sho feels good on ma ole dogs.    :biglaugh:

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »
A few of us south Ga.guys use`m a lot.One place we hunt is four miles in on a no vehicle acces road. you can get there fast and like James said we carry packs and bone our critters out. Myself and Jeff holchin were riding back to camp one morning.We were the only two on 18,000 acres and I ran in to him on the bike and we crashed.no injury but a lot of jokes after.RC

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
Been doing it senses I had hair,

except I sit on top of them and peddle out.

That is the ocean reflecting the sun in the back ground  

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
I've used them a few years for hunting elk in ID behind gated FS roads.  They really get you there in a hurry.  However, I've had so much trouble finding a safe/secure method of carrying a recurve w/riser-mounted quiver...I've about given up on the bike.  I've used the gun/bow holders on the handlebars and the bow constantly vibrates itself out of position or the holders knock an arrow loose from the quiver.  Also, not crazy about falling forward into the bow/quiver when taking a spill at night.

Has anyone come up with a bowsling that will keep your bow/quiver positioned on your back so it doesn't slide around to the front while leaning forward to peddle?

Joe

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
I usually hunt around home but plan on using my Gary Fisher a bunch this year thanks to the price of diesel. Been riding at least half of my commute to work 3-4 x a week this summer.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Iron Bull:
MY GOD.....BLUE CROKS  

Yep Ron Bicycling Gangster here Too. Especially at the price of Diesel    :scared:    

The State says I gettin to old to Drive, so I reminded them that you were here before dirt and still drivin.....They relented for this year anyway..........Yer lookin GOOD there Hoss.
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
Anyone ever read "My First Deer-And Welcome to It" by Patrick F.  McManus?

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
Just traded my road bike for a trail/tour bike with bigger tires. I just need to figure out how to haul my bow and I'll be ready. I'm with ya on the Crocs, Ron...don't knock 'em 'til ya' try 'em!!

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline ryped

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
Just wondering how you fellas carry your bows.  I worry about snagging my bow coming out in the dark or catching a limb tip in the spokes.  My hard case is a little akward.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
Ryan,

If you look close at the first pic, you can see Ron's T/D Super Shrew in it's holder on his backquiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©