3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bicycling bow hunters  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bicycling bow hunters
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
I have had good luck by towing a stroller behind my bike.  I break down my recurve and it fits nicely in the stroller.  I have gone up and down hills in WV and never had an issue.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by njstykbow:

Has anyone come up with a bowsling that will keep your bow/quiver positioned on your back so it doesn't slide around to the front while leaning forward to peddle?

Joe
Joe we tie them onto our hunting backs and ride away.

You can go sideways or vertical.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
This was my first "surbuban hunter" or the peewee Herman bike as my daughter called it.  :bigsmyl:  Camo did not go over good slipping around the subdivision I was hunting but most did not know what the little 56" bow I was carring was.  :D  
My camo model I use now is just used on a woodsroad that is wide enough across the handle bars works fine and stealth is not needed as much.  ;)  

....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
James,

Is that a special case, or just a guncase cut down?

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 05:39:00 AM »
Steve it is a case for a ruger 10-22 I picked up at a yard sale I tweaked a bit.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 05:47:00 AM »
Ron, nice setup, I do a lot of scouting on my mountain bike especially when mast crop is scarce, it lets me cover more ground in less time looking for food sources.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 06:21:00 AM »
Here is what Bernie calls my "trusty stead" today. :)

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 06:29:00 AM »
I started biking in because I don't have a 4x4 anymore.  It gets me further in much faster than walking.  I've found that the bike noise doesn't spook game like walking does.  (Wet, dewy, grassy country.)  Last season, I went around corners and ran into (within 30 feet) skunks, raccoons, deer, and several hawks.  Really surprised me.  Evidently the constant sound of a wheel on the ground doesn't alert the game where I hunt like footsteps do.

I've got a little trailer that I use in the event of hauling out any massive game.  Of course, I have yet to use it...

I use a sort of a fanny pack that has two quick-release straps that fit my bow perfectly, but that's to carry the bow horizontal and on my back.  I also bought a backpack this spring that has lots of external lash points, and I have some homemade straps that hold my bow -- in this case, vertical.  I've also installed some ATV gun holders on the bike handlebars now, and it works great... if the trail is wide enough to accomodate the bow horizontally.  

Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 06:40:00 AM »
Here's a better shot at the fanny pack.  It's not really a fanny pack.  It's a waist belt that holds two thigh packs -- like extra cargo pockets.  The straps that hold the bow are actually for a roll-up seat pad for sitting on the ground.  FYI -- the vest is a MEDIUM that fits tight over my LARGE jacket.  The fleece stretches... and beautifully keeps my jacket out of the way of my bowstring.

Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 07:07:00 AM »
never tried on deer, but do it often while turkey hunting.  Mike
Big Mike

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 08:34:00 AM »
I'd like to suggest that y'all consider wearing protective headgear while ridding. A head injury is no joking matter. I almost bought the farm back in '94 on a downhill. I still have the short term memory of a man 30 years my elder and it will never come back.
  If you need to justify it, use the helmet to mount a headlight but please wear those helmets.
 TGBTG
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
A good idea. Here's my favorite helmet but I'm reluctant to wear it in the woods during hunting season.    :rolleyes:

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
Got rid of my wheelers and outboard about 5 years ago.  I now either walk, paddle my pirouge or ride this bike.  I quarter the deer where I find it, put the meat in my rucksack and ride it out.  I use a t/d bow which I strap to my handlebars.  My stand straps on to the rear rack.  (I've raised the seat up since this picture.)

It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
Great topic and nice pics too.  

Most of us (especially me) could use the exercise, so thanks for sparking the interest.   :thumbsup:  

"Honey, where's my bike?"   :goldtooth:
Lon Scott

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 11:32:00 AM »
You guys got me to thinking; I'm only a 10 minute drive from my main whitetail area, so that is about a 30 minute bike ride. With diesel prices, I think this is worth a try. Thanks for posting; why didn't I think of this before??  :clapper:
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
I have a bow-only area I hunt and the farmer wants me to park only in the driveway by the barn. This makes for some long walks in sometimes. I just got back from asking if I could bring a bike, stash it in the barn and ride it into or very near my stands. He said no problem and asked why I had not asked years ago(14 to be exact). My response, I am older and wiser and listen to guys like Ron LaClair now!!  :biglaugh:   Shawn
Shawn

Offline JDice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »
I have tried "traditional bike hunting" and like it for the same reasons already mentioned. I do have one problem on which I would like to get input - sweat. Riding any distance results in me generating a LOT of sweat. Given that you guys sweat after riding - do you carry extra clothes, do you hunt wet, etc?

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »
I've ridden my bike for years hunting, especially small game before I could drive.

I've always rode my mountain bike while turkey hunting as I can get in and out of areas quietly!

Since i've been bowhunting alot of public lands I like to ride my bike as I can get to areas further in than the typical road/trail edge hunters.

I also like it ride while the corn is up or just coming off...I can access many of my stands faster than walking or driving.

I just rattle can painted my old mountain bike and I've watched people walk by it a few feet off the trail and never notice it.

One thing to note is on public land I make sure to let people know I'm coming behind them or toward them at night, I've freaked more than one bowhunter and people riding horses out!

As for sweat, I just dress light when it's a hot fall and take it easy....of course it's pretty flat around my area.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
This is a cool thread. Anyone ever try the B.O.B. trailer. It has one wheel at the back so I don't know if it would get too heavy w/ meat in it or not. It's good for trails though because the one wheel just tracks the bike and it's pretty narrow.
Russ
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
I hunt some places here in TN that have bike or foot traffic only, so I bike in if the weather is dry. Paths are not safe enough when its wet. I have not fully went with the Trad bike look yet. Mine looks like a regular mountain bike. LOL. I think my Cammo Crocs will fit right in though!!!  -Greg
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©