3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bicycling bow hunters  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bicycling bow hunters
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
I use a tricked out bike my self quite a bit.  I'll post a photo later.  Reminds me of my buddy who built a trailer for his.  This thing was one of those huge lawn and garden jobs that he attached a home made trailer tounge.  It was do-able empty, but became un-towable with the three hogs in it that I shot.  We had to push the bike and trailer four miles out.  Took us 2.5 hours!  He told me never to shoot them three at the time ever again!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
Working my way down a mountainside with my brother (on foot) one September day above Telluride, we heard heavy breathing noises coming from a little patch of black timber. We envisioned a rutting bull, all lathered up over a hot cow. We stalked our way down and thoroughly surprised a biker on the Forest Service trail who was just about done in by the 10,000 foot lack of oxygen. I don't know if he made it back to Telluride or not!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
King,  That pic is awesome.  I use mine for turkey season, but I might have to take it out during deer season just to get a pic like that.
Nice work.
Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
Last time I road my son Kevin's bike I almost killed myself.....It was a Heck of a Wreck!!!!!   :scared:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »
You guys kill me.  :-D

This thread reminds me of an old Patrick MacManus story about deer hunting on a bike.  He got his out by tying the deer's back legs to his own, and the deer's front legs around his neck (so it looked like the deer was sitting behind him on the bike).

All was well until his deer recovered its senses about halfway down the mountain. Heh.

I am interested to know what you guys do about sweat and so forth - that was a good question.

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
Good thread, Ron.  I was expecting some photo of you shooting a bullseye while cruising by the target on your bike.

Wow, great photos Kingwouldbe, those are TBM cover quality!

I attached a photo of the incident that RC mentioned.  Forgetting that RC is a big NASCAR and Dale Earnhart fan, I innocently tried passing him just after this photo...... I realized my error after ending up in the ditch!  Guess RC likes to be in the lead....

By the way, can you see the cloud of GA-sized skeeters following RC?  They grow 'em big down there, and if you stop for more than a second or two, they will catch up and make you pay!
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
you guys are so lucky to have flat places to hunt to many bloody hills over here but would be good fun going down but i dont think you would like it going back up. LOL!!!    :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline JDice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
The August 2008 Georgia Sportsman has an article titled "Tricking Out Your Bike" that focuses on bike hunting. One point raised - if you ride on roads - spray your tires to kill the road smell before using your bike to hunt. The author also suggests that spraying estrous urine on one spot on a tire will result in a scent trail when you ride.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
I used to use my mountain bike for hunting alot.  A couple years ago the state shut down the gamelands/state park to mountain biking.  I never really get a straight answer when I ask why this was done?...Mike

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
Just bringing this back up to see if anyone has any new ideas or pictures of how you carry your gear in on your bike...thinking of doing this since I hunt some public land that is walk in only but bikes are allowed...Thanks, BLM
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
What brand of bike do you guys use.  I've thought about getting one at wally world,but don't know if they would stand up to the test..

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
Been doing it senses I had hair,

except I sit on top of them and peddle out.
Erm, ok.  That visual left me scrubbin my eyeballs...
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline dpowers311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
The land I hunt does not allow any wheel off road. I do ride all over the place to stay in shape. I race some mountain bike and do several 100+ mile rides for fun.

Dave
Bryan Holley Spirit Longbow
62" 50@28
Timberhawk Falcon
62" 48#@28

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »
Biker here. Have a cart also. Pack a lot of stuff a long way.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Lots of people here use them behind gated roads.  Two welder friends in Missoula are working on a design for an elk cart; this came in response to some locals ruining their little clamp-on trailers for the toddlers with big loads of meat!
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
I ride but skinny tires and carbon frames don't work in the woods.

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Gerry, I here ya on that one...

I have a cheapy mountain bike I picked up at the pawn shop and am fixing it up but I need pics of how you carry your stuff and your bow...

BB I would love to see how your bike is equipped...
Thanks in advance, BLM
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
I have a Trek 4500 carbon road bike with tires that are less than a half in. wide.

I dont think i will be putting it in the mud anytime soon.lol
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
I do this too. I have an old Diamondback Voyager.
As to carrying gear, I have those carrying forks on the handlebar, like in James Wrenn photo, They work for a bow, rifle or fishing pole. Also have a rack over the rear tire, which can hold a daypack and rain gear.
I plan to copy this idea next season:
I saw someone here with a 5 gallon bucket attached to each side of the rear rack on his bike as cheap panniers. When not in use, they nest together and you can put the day pack inside, and strap it to the top of the rack. When in use, they hang low and get the weight down near the road where it is easier to balance.
I think I could fit a boned out deer into game bags, and put them into the buckets. Anyway that is the plan....

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
PS Buckets come in blue to match shoes.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©