3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bicycling bow hunters  (Read 1536 times)

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bicycling bow hunters
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
o often use my bike to get around properties [ most state land here is too rugged and mountainous for this skinny legged 20 a day smoker ] . but on the properties and farms i hunt it lets me get in quietly ... and if there is more than two guys hunting the property alleviates the need for one guy to drive round picking up and dropping off . plus ..whizzin round the dirt with a longbow strapped to my back is just cool !!!
And Ron ... don't take any flack for your Croc's ... aside from snow or really wey conditions they are pretty much my main hunting shoe !!!
BEN
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Lunar-Tic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
I've been hunting with my mountain bike for several years and until this past season, never had a problem, except for maybe to much mud to pedal in. Well this past fall while pedaling out to the truck one evening with my brand new homemade longbow, made for me by my brother. I hit a rut in the dirt/gravel road and did a Superman number over the handle bars witch my beautiful new longbow was locked into with ATV style bow/gun holders. You can see where this is going. Anyway as I hit the gravel I could feel my bow grinding on the gravel under my legs as I rolled over my quiver full of cedars. After I collected myself up ,I was afraid to look at my bow under the light. As I slowly picked up the bike I hit the bow with my headlamp and almost threw up on the spot. The top limb had road rash but the riser got the worst of it, two deep gouges across the grain all the way out to the limb veneer  about 1 1/8" long. The bow still shoots great and I didn't get hurt, so I'll be a lot more careful riding out for now on. Crashing on the bike never crossed my mind so be careful on those bikes!

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
This has always seemed to me to be a good idea:
  Montana Scabbards  

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
Bike recomendations!!!!  H

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
Wife and I are "bike poor" as we own 7 between the two of us.  We ride a lot mostly self contained.  We rode cross country back in 2000.

Now to answer your question on what bike.  I would go with an entry level Trek mountain bike.  Easy to find someone to work on them if they need work done.  Price would be right around $300.00.

If you buy a Walmart one year throw away they have very cheap parts, hard to work on , they just don't last long and they do not have a re-sale value if you decide to up-grade.

JMHO.

Jon

Offline Roconman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
I've been hunting with a mountain bike for a few years now. It's a fast quite way of getting into your hunting area that most hunters never consider.Also great for scouting.I have rode up on many deer and once a pack of coyotes on my bike, they just don't seem to be spooked by the profile of a man on a bike just sort of curious.
   I can't see spending a lot of money on a hunting bike because they get banged up quite a bit, at least for me.I just use garage sale bikes,they will do fine.
   I wear a back pack and carry my bow in my hands loose across the handle bars,I've had a few spills but never hurt my bow. I ride a bike year around,keeps me in shape.

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
I think some kind of rack that fits on the seat post would be great to pack out large loads of meat. You could pull off the seat, put on the rack and load it up. Then just push it out. It would be easier than carrying it. Gary

Offline Jim Dahlberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
You all need to check out Xtracycle.com.  I have one that I put on an old Giant Iguana.  Got less than $500 invested.  I have hauled all kinds of things on mine so far and anticipate using it for big game hunting in the future.  It is stable and TOUGH.  It eliminates the problem of how to carry your equipment and your game at the same time.  250 extra pounds is a good load capacity!  I call it my "truck bike".

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
I have an electric Razor scooter The kind college kids use around campus,its fast quit and can go a long way on one battery.I may just have to rig it up and give it a try.I love when threads like this starts a smoldering fire in my mind.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
I been using mine for deer scouting trips again this year and plan on hunting with it again this fall I love sneaking into my spots with out the deer knowing it.

Plus I get some good exercise along the way.
   :thumbsup:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline AZ_Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
I had never even thought about hunting with a bike, what a GREAT idea!  Here in AZ it would be perfect for the forest service roads that are closed to vehicular traffic.

I love this site.  Not only are the bows traditional, but the hunting vehicles too!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©