3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tried to gap shoot, so weird  (Read 342 times)

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
Tried to gap shoot, so weird
« on: July 13, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
Just felt so weird and did not help. So I just now shoot my old instinctive way and if it is 25 yards or 30 I just "burn a hole" not in the bullseye but above it 4 inches or so. Seems to work.

HOW DO YOU ALL ADJUST FOR 25/30++ YARDERS?

Thanks,
Paulie
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tried to gap shoot, so weird
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »
Gap, but my Centaur shoots pretty flat out to about 33 yds.
Bret M. FullER

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
Legolas, That's how I deal with crosswinds, I'll guestimate the windage and adjust my point of aim accordingly. As to elevation, I tend to catch my arrow in the periphery when I get beyond about 30yards, but I don't get into the exact yardage and gap measurement like a true gap shooter. I think it was Ferguson who said "don't become too dependent on gap shooting. Once you have become proficient, immediately begin concentrating more on the mark".

later,
Daddy Bear

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
My point on is over fifty yards so everything under that is just focus for me.  I was never patient enough to learn to gap properly.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
Similar to Stout here.  When I learned my point on (44 yards) things got a lot better for me.  I now know that everything under 20, burn a hole and shoot, past that its below the point on till 45 yards, above the point past 45.  

After learning this and thinking about it cognitively while shooting, it wasn't long till the longer shots were being made a lot more frequently.  Its still pretty "instinctive"  I just use a point of reference and make sure the arrow/sight picture is correct, than let her fly. takes a good millisecond or two, but I am getting faster and less and less automated.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 01:17:00 AM »
I have really got hooked on gap shooting and for me it has improved my shooting more and quicker than anything else I've tried. Im shooting an ACS CX, using a elevated bear weather rest shooting 3 under.   My point on is at 30 yards and my max gap is about 6 inches under at 15 yards shooting a 45LB. bow and arrows at 9.8 gpp.  I think it would be much more difficult with a heavy draw weight, for me it takes holding at full draw longer than the way I shot before. But thats OK I feel confident that the 45LB. ACS will do the job on anything I hunt, if I do my part. I watched Rod Jenkins explain his method and it works for me, my wife not so much yet. The hardest part for me was lining up the point with both eyes open, at first I had to close my left eye Im right handed. After a little practice Im keeping both eyes open and things are feeling more natural.

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 02:57:00 AM »
Been shooting for years- I'm 57 but just watched some new DVDs and thought I would give it a try.  I concentrate on the target but "feel" where the arrow is.
I just cannot put my point on the target somewhere and shoot as good.I even put a wooded match stick taped like site pins and shot worse that way also.

I will stick to my style and refine it with practice this summer and hope to hit my bear this Sept.
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©