3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why not wood...?  (Read 835 times)

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Why not wood...?
« on: July 13, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »
While at the Poke and Hope Shoot yesterday, I had the chance to see and handle some really nice arrows. Some aluminum,carbon, and the woodies felt great as I pulled them from the targets.
 So...I was again asking myself. WHY, do I shoot carbons. My answers were:
-I travel in and out of dry then humid climates constantly
- carbons are easily set-up
- I can find replacements at almost any archery shop wheeled or otherwise.
 Now I'll ask you guys that shoot them regularly;  Why not carry/shoot wood?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why not wood...?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »
I'm not sure what different climates have to do with it....properly sealed woods will weather the weather....whether or not 8^).  Woods are just as easily set-up....actually easier.

I think your last question should have been.."why carry/shoot wood."  The answer for me is because they work as well as any other shaft.  I use all three...matter of fact; however, a good wooden (cedar) arrow gives up nothing to other types.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »
My quiver usually contains all three and I shoot them all fine.For abuse though Ill pull out the carbon.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
I started with Aluminum over 20 years ago. Still shoot them out of my heavy recurves. But everything else,,, selfbows, BBO, modern longbows are all shot with wood. 99% with POC cedar.

Wood is cheap, easy to find easy to work and they work perfect. A quality wood arrow properly worked gives up nothing to a NASA shaft. Properly worked is the key. I've lost arrows in the fall, found them the next spring and they are straight and ready to be refleched.

Plus they are traditional in anyone's "trad scale"... LOL
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
I love to shoot wood.  In my experience they are just not as tough as carbon.  If you buy good wood they cost as much as carbon and I just feel you get more bang for your buck with carbon.  Wood looks the coolest though!
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
Hi Billy. It was nice to meet you there. All I shoot is wood. In fact, I shot an arrow made from wild rose almost exclusively.  Why shoot wood? Because I don't have to order out for it.  :)   Jawge

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
Glad you offered the chance George. It was a treat to be there and meet you and the crowd.
 That 'green and yellow camoed' Hickory was a looker.
 Not ordering out, sounds good.
 I will have to find ways to meet more of the folks on this site and share some 'flight' time with them.
 I'm open to ideas for my 50#@28" Red Wing Hunter, drawn at 26.5", by me; where wood set ups are concerned.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline dixieshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
I like the woodies the best. As far as cost goes wooden arrows can get pricey. Its also hard to find carbons fletched with feathers in most box  sportings good stores. Thanks to them its hard to find a mom/pop shop near where you may be. Lets face it, we are the archery minority. So thats why I buy and salvage any wood arrows I find. It takes a little more time to build woodies, but thats what I like about it. It's like raising a child you start with a blank shaft and build it up.You see it change into different stages until its grown and you send it to its destination. I'm kind of weird about wood.
Bob Lee Classic Elite

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
It was good shooting with you, Billy, I think Bob and Chuck had a good time too.  The weather sure cooperated.  

C'mon back next year, maybe I'll let you shoot some of my genuine real wood arrows.  You know, the kind that you were pulling out of the ten ring all the time (on second thought I think Bob made those...).

Keep on truckin'

:thumbsup:        :archer:

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
I've been shooting wood in all kinds of weather for more than 40 years.  I see no reason to change.

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
I shoot wood only because I enjoy crafting my own arrows.  Somehow cresting, crown dipping, and fletching carbon or aluminum just don't have the appeal for me.  Oh and you've got to throw in straightening.  You don't have to worry about that with carbon or aluminum, at least before you fletch them up.  But straightening a shaft is also part of the fun.

Lastly, I own a lumberyard.  I like wood.  Wood is a renewable resource.  Trees grow.  Healthy well-managed forests produce plenty of wood for shafts and other building materials and use plenty of CO2 from the atmosphere.

So, save the planet!  Shoot wood arrows!

Mike

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 01:13:00 AM »
Yes, carbon is more durable...aluminum is way more consistant, but making your own arrows from wood shafts is just plain fun and rewarding.  What better way to spend some time during the off-season than crafting your own wooden arrows?  To me it's part of the total trad. experience.  Try it, you'll like it!
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 01:22:00 AM »
Aluminum....consistancy with every arrow. I was shooting barrel tapered ash until my supplier went out of business...I loved those durable ash hunting arrows but aluminum is tough, flatter shooting and again, consistant.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 01:38:00 AM »
Climate means nothng to me, I hunt the World's most extreme, and I use wood arrows exclusively.  Just use adequate sealant such as Helsman Spar Urethane.  None of that Gasket laquer crap.

Offline agd68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
All I shoot are wooden shafts. I've tried aluminums and cabons but I find they just dont feel right. It may only be the psycological factor but I find wood preforms better for me. Besides , if your going to shoot a trad bow why use high tec arrows?
Eat, drink, and be merry...  
For tommoro we may die.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
Carbons for me because the wood arrow builders don't want to make me arrows for 56#@32" and 59#@32"....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
Billy: It was good to meet you there. For a number of years I made custom arrows. There is nothing wrong with them at all. Unless you are a Jawge and make your own shafts, the biggest issue with good consistent wood arrow is finding a good supplier who can send you shafts that are matched consistently from one dozen to another. If you can solve that "problem" wood is good.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline stump man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
Bill Carlsen

Did you use to have Renaissance Archery in Jersey back in the 90's?

stump

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 07:11:00 AM »
did alum when I started out then moved to woodies.... Wood arrows just feel better to me.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
Stump: No...I was Madbury Arrowworks out of NH...back in the 90's.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©