3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Natural Barred and Woody pics?  (Read 1256 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Natural Barred and Woody pics?
« on: July 13, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
I'm going to make up some woodies here pretty soon.Wondering if anyone has pics of their favorite Natural Barred/Woody combination/capped and crested to give me some ideas...thanks
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Natural Barred and Woody pics?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
Heres a pic of my attempt to make my arrows look nostalgic and "traditional"...Arrow is from old Superceder barrel taper, alcohol stain,Watco Teak Oil sealer, natural barred feathers from my few in between turkey kills and oppppppppppssss...auto touch up paint crests......i made this bow 12 years ago and the osage orange has turned to a golden hue...

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
That's a beauty of a bow and that arrow looks right hansome settin on there!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »
Thanks Kenny...I'm not sold on my cresting pattern yet...going to do some research and see if I can find cresting patterns of yesteryears.Most of my cresting patterns over last 20 years have been a 1 wide band 2-3 single bands......wish i had a pic of some old pearson or bear arrows or sweatland

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
Joey, I will post some pictures of a couple of Sweetland's and Glenn St. Charles and some of Chester Stevensons as well. I will also post some of my own creation. I have dial up at home so it would take half  the night just for one picture. Check back tomorrow. I LOVE your bow the fine saw cuts in the riser took a ton of time I am sure. and also your fine box calls. Do you sell them? Flint

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
you got that right both bow and arra are fine looking.

Offline dixieshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
I've got some arrows from the 50s. I'll take some pics and get'um on asap. Joebuck I bought 2 DZ. Super Cedars from Don Stokes. I'm like you I've got to come up with something different for these 2dz. In honor of Dan Quillian.
Bob Lee Classic Elite

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
Thanks Flint....that would be awesome..great men you mentioned..I have an old sweatland arra I'll post a pic of that I used as a tomato stake!!!...it's square now!..

Thanks DB...this old bow has been my favorite...

Dixieshooter...we are on the same page...I wish to heil Ole Dan was alive now to hear what he would have to say about skinny arrows and FOC!!!!!!!!! I may say it for him one day but I'm too close to the source! I just bought 9 dozen from Don. Absolutely the finest wood arrow ever made IMO..Big barrel taper, heavy, straight and recovery pardox next to none. It's amzing how fast these arrow recover compared to alluminun and carbon......but thats another thread I'll hold off on....Yep I have got to honor Ole Dan too......Thank You Don Stokes.....I'm going to run this 800 grain through NM Bull this september and let Hogdancer pack him out....

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
My pleasure, Joey and Woody. I know you'll put 'em to good use. An elk steak or two would be nice...

I like to keep my arrows simple, but I always crest with some red in it, to attract blood! I read that Ishi's arrows were crested with red rings, and it sounded like a good idea to me. I'm trying photobucket for the first time here.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
Oops- forgot to resize.

Not a very good picture, but what I have at the moment. I'll try to do better. Boy Howdy, it takes a long time to mess with pictures with this dial-up connection.

i329.photobucket.com/albums/l376/don-stokes/23090851.jpg[/IMG]
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
OK, I know what I did wrong. Blasted newfangled technology!

[/IMG]

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
Here's some, threadwrapped on ash shafts with snakeskin cresting.

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
Holy Cow, Beautiful Arrows!!!   :eek:    :clapper:  
Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
Joey,

Did you do the checkering on that bow?  Man, you do it all!

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
Steve O...18 lines per inch hand cut!I'm crossed eyed for at least 2 days after I finish checkering.....I owe you the turkey seminar..hadn't forgot..trying to figure out how to put audio.

Adam...my gosh!!!!..very nice...looks like you made great use of the "secondary" feathers.

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
joebuck, when are you and thomas going to NM.  I lucked up and got my Wyoming tag this year.  Cant wait to see some pics and the story.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
FBuster...we're going sept 19-26 near Datil ,NM.Thomas is going for meat and I'm going for Ivories. I have been on his tail to get in shape to pack my wapiti out.....are you going near Jackson Hole?...Didn't see not one Bighead this weekend near your honeyhole..you shot them all out..!!

The pic of my arrow above was an interesting task. I stained,sanded,stained, sealed (watco teak oil) steel wooled, burnish, crested, split feathers, grinded, fletch and sealed cresting in 3 hours.......arrow removes very smooth from foam target..........I'm liking the Watco..

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
I swear, I wish I had 1% of the talent the folks here have.  Checkering!

Joey, I will thoughroughly enjoy that turkey info when you pass it on!  You do know that they say the cow elk have the best Ivories...I'm guessing you were talking about antlers--good luck!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
Here's one of mine with testor paint cresting over wipe on stain.  I've been playing with self nocks on a few others lately and really like the way that sets them off.  Adam - your arrows are gorgeous!

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©