3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bino suggestions please.  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
Bino suggestions please.
« on: February 21, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »
I am looking for everyone’s experience with Binos, especially the guys hunting out west.  I currently have two pair of Binos, one in 8x32 (fugi) and the other is 8x42 (Burris signatures).  Both are good quality binos, which served me very well hunting whitetail in the eastern and central US.  Here the terrain is more open with larger mountains.  Would a 10x42 be a better choose?  Most likely I would buy another pair of Burris, but I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks,

James

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bino suggestions please.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »
James:
Your 8x42's are more than enough glass for anything except maybe Antelope or Sheep, goats. If you plan on spending a lot of time looking through them, buy the best you can afford, Leica and Zeiss are the best.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
I have Nikon Monarchs and love them.  They are 8x42s, I was going to get the 10s but they are a little touchy free hand.  I spend a lot of time in sheep country and have had no problems with my 8s.  Then again if I draw a sheep tag the first legal one is getting an arrow.  If I want a real close look I use my spotting scope.  I don’t think ill get away from 8s, for an all around set of glass.  As for the Nikons go for around 300 bucks I don’t think they can be beat.  Plus there warranty is awesome.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
If you can stand the price tag a 10x42 Swarovski SLC is the way to go. I've owned em all over the years including all the Swarovki's 7x30,8x30 the 10x42 covers you for it all. The SLC's are bit more weight than the new SLT but they are bit cheaper and more compact.
hunt it

Offline mbbushman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
I own Nikon Monarch 8x42, and a pair of Zeiss 8x30 binos. The Zeiss is my go to bino, they are brighter than the Nikons even with a smaller lense, and much more compact, and lighter. But I'm not knocking the Nikons, they are also a great set of binos. I have owned 10x50 binos in the past, not sure if I ever will again. I don't see enough of a gain to be worth the bulk and weight.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »
I recently bought a pair of Leica 8x32's.  I absolutely LOVE these things.  The money hurt, but I try to look at it as a lifetime investment.  They are perfect for the type of bowhunting I do which is mostly whitetail hunting.  They are small enough that I don't even notice them around my neck.  Also the view through them is amazing!  You would probably want a higher power than that, but if you can afford the price I would take a look at Leica.

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
Thanks everyone!!!  I quess I should be looking for a spotting scope.  I have read many times that 8x is all you need for hand held binos, for everything else such as judging animals from a distance use a spotting scope.  I think I will look at buy a stopping scope instead of binos.

I really like my Burris.  The store I bought them at sells Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, and Kahles also.  I stood outside the store at sun down and test all of them.  In my opinion the Burris are just as clear and bright as the others, but only have a 400 dollar price tag.

I was just checking to see if the 10x42 was a better bino for open country like I have here.  

James

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
James:
You can't test Bino's standing out side a store looking through them for ten minuites. You need to look through them for several hours, I know that is difficult when buying a pair, thats when you consult the pro's that make there living looking through them. Where glasses like Leica, Zeiss, come into their own is in prolonged use, glassing for hours upon hours.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »
i have the kahles 10x42 they are compact, tough, light and about three hundred cheaper than the swaros crystal clear and bright, I believe they are actually owned and built by swarovski?
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
The new to the US Meopta binocs are great. High quality european glass for less than the "name" brands.
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
James, I have a set of the new Burris compacts that are 10 power and they are GREAT. For the money they are hard to beat. I am sure there are some better Quality optics out there but depending on use and time of use the Burris Signatures are my choice.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 12:42:00 AM »
I really don't think you can appreciate a pair of leicas until you have owned tham.  As mentioned before the difference shines in prolonged glassing.  I can glass cut blocks for bear for hours with my leicas, pick up my brothers bushnells and I get a headache inside 10 minutes.  I am sure quality is equal across the board with swarovski and leica, and I have heard very positive things about Kahles.  Just buy the best you can and learn to use them.  Price makes no difference if they spend the majority of the season swinging from your neck or stuffed in your pack.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 01:35:00 AM »
I have a pair of Seiss 10X42s & they are the best,I am forever through with the less expensive glasses. They will tire your eyes after only a few minutes of glassing. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Jim Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
I tried a pair of Pentax 8x42's in the open sage in eastern California. I ended up trading them for Pentax 10x42's. I like the 10x42 much better for open country hunting. I also use a pair of 6x32 Wind River's for hunting in heavy cover here in California. Both are very good binocs. There are better binocs out there, but I had to go with what I could afford and these fill the bill. Jim

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
Hey, those Alpen bino's are just awesome, and a guy can afford them.

Jeff

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 10:54:00 AM »
include a look at opticsplanet in your price shopping, you will get a good feel at the store and may find a better price online...my 2 cents
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
I have a nice pair of Steiner predators 8x42's that I like a lot.  My son just bought a really nice pair of Vortex 10x42's that are just excellent. Might want to check out the Vortex line.
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©