3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Basic new finger-shooter questions.  (Read 355 times)

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
Basic new finger-shooter questions.
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
It's me again, I've been shooting more so I've had a chance to analyze some things and generated some questions for those with more knowledge than me - so here goes.

1)  I recently made some GT ExpdHunter 33/55's and they're flying great, but the nocks that came with them (standard GT nocks) have a double clip that make the bow really, really loud after the shot - TWANG!  Is there an aftermarket nock or a different nock that will fix this?

2)  I was all over the place with my patterns until I began using the tips of my glove fingers, which made the groups tighten up significantly.  I suspect that I had too much finger on the string and was dragging it across the leather on release.  Only problem is that now my fingertips are taking a beating, so I'm considering a tab.  Do the tabs use the finger tips as well, or can I go to the middle of the finger and still get a clean release?  I've been looking at the Cavalier non Elite series..

I've found that I'm most comfortable with my middle finger anchoring into the corner of my mouth (like a fishhook), thumb along my jaw.  I wear glasses, and it feels weird with the arrow high up near my eye (combined with a naturally low(corner of jaw) anchor for the other bows).  Problem is I can't find a reference point for distance, my eyes cross up if I try and look down the arrow.  I've tried to find a reference to the tip, but I can't hold the arrow back long enough to make a held target (I'm still getting used to 50#, I suspect a #45 would have been better for learning on, but I'm slowly working up in strength).  Instead I hate to say I'm "willing" the arrow into the target, but that's essentially what's going on.  Most of the time it works, sometimes, eh...  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for everything gang, please bear with me, I'm learning.    :archer:
Support the sport!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Basic new finger-shooter questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
Will:  You probably need to silence your string.  Nocks usually aren't the culprit in string noise.

Re your finger placement on the string.  Most folks would recommend a deep hook, i.e., at the first joint of your fingers rather than the tip of your fingers.  A deep hook allows you to pull more weight more comfortably, and it's really no more difficult getting off the string cleanly.  Just need to train yourself to let go.  Don't try to pull your hand off the string, just let it go.  The string will push your hand out of the way.  For a clean release, you will want to have an anchor fairly tight on your face and back tension pulling on your drawing arm.  Then when you get on target (i.e., the sight picture looks good), just let go of the string and your hand should come back along your face.  

If you're having trouble holding the weight, 45# would probably be better, but can't do much about that right now unless you want to trade your bow on another or buy another.  However, given that the bow is a bit heavy for you, it's important for you to not shoot until you get tired.  That will lead to form/shooting problems.

You don't need to look down the arrow.  You should be looking over it at the target with the arrow perhaps in  your peripheral vision.  In any case, you might turn your head a bit more toward the target.  Start your practice sessions at 10 yards or so.  Then move back a few yards, then a few more.  Over time, your brain will learn how to adjust your hold for different distances.

Don't know where you live, but if you're in the southern part of the state, the Wisconsin Traditional Archers is holding it's annual state shoot at the Racine Instinctive Bowmen's Club this weekend.  Lots of people there would be willing to help you out.  Good luck.

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
How tight are those nocks on the string.  If you are shooting a B50 i recommend you take some fine grit sandpaper to the inside of the nocks.  A nock should grip the string just tight enough that it can hang vertically from the string and a reasonable bump on the string will cause it to fall.  GT nocks fit great on fast flight strings but are way too tight for B50 in my opinion.  This may be causing some of your noise, but if they are too tight it will definitely effect your arrow flight.  Keep in mind that a great many things in the archery world are designed and built for the guys that pull on wheels, but all it should take is a slight tweek.

Beleive it or not a deep hook is much better for holding the bow string and resluts in a cleaner release.  Seems like it wouldn't but it does.  Putting the string in the crease of your fingers is like when you used to hang upside down on the mankey bars(if you ever did that).  Mechanically it just works with suprisingly little effort.  You want that situation.  I think this helps promote a better release because your muscles just cant go from full on tense to loose quick enough for the string to release clean.  If your fingers aren't tensed to hold the string but are kinda hooled in there, you can loosen up sloow until all of the pop and its gone.  I hope that makes sense.  Try it and see.  When you get the feel of it you'll know.

Good shooting and keep at it.
Turn a friend on to trad.  It's the gift that keeps on giving >>------> @

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
I also use the deep hook...it also allows you to relax the back of your hand(I get a cleaner release this way). I use a cordovan tab they're slick and tough as nails and you can usually get one for around ten bucks, so you can have a spare or two around. You may have to trim it back a little, after a few shots you may notice that the end is still shiny and you can trim that part off. When working on form, my keys are alignment (shoulders parallel to target line), solid anchor, pull through the shot. Your focus should be on the target as that is where you want your arrow to go.
Get close to the target to start with and slowly work your way back. You can even get really close and shoot with your eyes closed, focusing on your draw anchor, release, etc. Terry has some neat stuff posted around here probably on shooters forum about alignment and some other stuff. it really helped me. Good Luck

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 05:06:00 AM »
Not much to add about your release, but if you're unhappy with the GT nocks, try some Easton 3D Super Nocks.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 05:19:00 AM »
I changed to the easton super nocks and they did make a big difference.
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
Thanks for the help everyone!  I love the GT knocks on my wheel bows, but I'm using a B50 endless loop on the my trad bow - there's a definate double "CLICK" when snapping the arrow on, I think the fit against the serving is too tight like some have suggested.  I'll try some of the Easton nocks (they should fit the GT shafts, right?) and move the GT nocks to some other arrows.

Just a quick question on the silencers, too - I found a thread on how to make them, but is it okay to use the regular acrylic yarn, or should I go purchase some 100% wool yarn?  

Once again, thanks!

Chris
Support the sport!

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
You can stick a little water in the microwave, just enough for the knocks.  Bring it to a boil.  Then stick one in, while still on the arrow, for just about 10 seconds or so.  Then put the arrow on the string and pull it on and off a few times.  That'll usually take care of it.  Good luck   :thumbsup:

Offline cdworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »
hey!

just recently started shooting and i had a problem that is similar to your weight problem. the best thing for it is shooting the heavier one and doing some excercises. i built up to 50# by holding a 5# weight in each hand and shooting an invisible bow. keep good form and it will build up the proper muscles in no time.
C.D.Works

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
Be careful if you work on those nocks- if one fails, it can really mess up your day, and make you string-shy for a while, which doesn't help your shooting at all! I would replace them with a traditional type that doesn't snap on, but just holds on like Pullonmylimb said. Be sure you get them on straight- that's one of the most critical things about your arrows.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
...and ditto the deep grip. When you shoot off your fingertips, not only does it tend to hurt, but it puts the wrong tension in your hand for a good release. I do fine with a glove, but my brother couldn't get a clean release until he used a tab.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
buy some 100% wool that will be fine for your slincers.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »
A suggestions about your nocks , it is very easy to get a good consistent fit using an inexpensive "fingernail file", the really cheap ones that come in a pack work great!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©