3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: FED up with BAG targets!!!!!!!!  (Read 496 times)

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
FED up with BAG targets!!!!!!!!
« on: July 16, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
I have gone through numerous over the years. My recent endevour has been the "Outdoor Range" bag that has sagged and shifted and made getting my MFX's a FIGHT to get out. I want a target that is pretty good size and durable. Don't really have the room for stumping. How about the block or Pacific Butt?? Also, looking for something to keep outdoors. Thanks.   BILL

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: FED up with BAG targets!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Build a three sided box out of treated lumber and fill it with sand.  The only problem is it is not portable.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline tim-flood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
We have some guys who make BIG targets out of carpet foam and the really big one you can shoot 6 sides and they last for years and years. they weigh aboutn 100 lbs for the big ones

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
I like the sound of building a sand pit. Wonder how high you could build the back of it without having the sand fall foward? Does anyone have any photos and/or measurements?

Offline Plug

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
Make your own bag.  Go to a hardware store or Lowes or Home Depot and by a cheap plastic 12x6 tarp for about $10.  By a bag of 8" plastic cable ties. By the black ones, they are uv resistant.  While you are there scrounge around out back and collect all the discarded plastic film they use to wrap pallets of merchandise.

Fold the tarp in half to 6x6.  Starting at the top, sew down the sides by punching a hole in the hems and inserting a cable tie and cinching it down.  Work your way down each side to the fold placing the cable ties about 4" apart.  Now you have a 6x6 open topped bag.

Take the discarded plastic film and stuff it in the bag.  Put it in there in crumpled wads, not folds.  It might take a couple trips to the home depot to gather enough film but it's usually plentiful.  After you stuff your bag full of film sew the top shut with the cable ties like you did the sides.

You now have about a 4'x4' bag target.  Of course you can vary the target size by varying the size of the tarp.  The bag is light so you can hang it but I just lean mine against a tree. The film won't sag as fast if you lean it. When it does shift just turn it end for end.  

Keep it out of the sun and the bag will last a long time, absorb thousands of shots and arrows remove with one hand.

Total cost, oh 12 or 15 bucks.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
I built a 4' square by 2' deep plywood box with a hinged top.   Back is lighter plywood, front is open with a woven rope system.   Inside is stuffed with foam rubber scraps, plastic scraps, whatever.   Every year or so I lift the top and shift the fill stuff around, maybe add a bit.   Mine is indoors and on wheels at the end of the shop.

Outdoors I use bags I make with burlap from Joann's.  They're filled with plastic from boatyards.   They do sag, etc. but they work.

You can see the box at:

http://www.howardhilllongbowmen.com/targets/targetbox/targetbox.html

and the burlap outdoor bags at:

http://www.dickwightman.com/archery/backyardrange/backyardrange.html;

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
You fight to get arrows out of a bag target??  What in the heck did you stuff it with?  

I've been shooting a bag target for about six years now.  When stuffed with heavy plastic (not Wal-Mart bags), I can let friends shoot heavy compounds into the bag and pull arrows with two fingers.  Don't use shrink wrap from pallets, either.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
It's going to be hard to describe this so bear with me.  I made a rig from two pieces of 2" X 8" lumber cut 4' long.  I drilled a hole 1" from the edge and centered in middle of each end of both boards.  Then I ran a piece of all-thread through the holes and used washers and wingnuts to make what I guess could be called a vise or press.  One board on top, one on the bottom, and the all-thread on the sides.  The pieces of all-thread are also 4' long.  Slide the two boards apart and fill the area between them with cardboard, old ceiling tiles or whatever else that's appropriate.  Tighten down the wingnuts to compress the filler.  I used cardboard in mine and after a couple of months of daily shooting had to loosen the vise and move the cardboard around because the pieces in the center of the target were getting pretty chewed up.  Tightened the vise back down and was good for another two months or so.  The only drawback to cardboard is that I have to keep it covered with a plastic tarp to keep it dry.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
works for me....

I prefer wire tied bales - last better.  The block is over 5 years old, and took a beating from a comp*^&d in the beginning.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
Here is one that I built. It can handle any type of tip. It's made from folded insulation that you can easily purchase for about $30. I think the sheets come in 48" by 50'. I cut the 48" side into 3-16" pieces and stack them. When a section gets worn, you do not have to replace the whole thing, just that section.

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »
Bob- that is a great idea with the foam insul. . .combine that with John's treated lumber and you have one for outside.   I like it!!

Geno- do you know the cost of excelsior?  I would love some of those but the last I checked (8 years ago) the shipping was crazy high. . .
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
I had built my first one back in the 80's a lot like BobCo 1965. Used 2x10 boards with two threaded rods on each side. With cardboard for the center.(look for boxes the sams and stack)
We turned the nuts down so much the arrows bounced off. Lossened the nuts, worked great.
Switch center when shot out.
Look at building sights for lumber and cardboard.
Only cost was the rods and nuts.
DEATHMASTER

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
Irish Archer,

My sand pit is 42" high. The sand in front will slope down, but it is fairly steep.  You can make it as high as you like.  Like others I pieced the sides together from scrap lumber.   Sand was leftover from a retaining wall project so the target was essentially free.  I am away from home until Monday, I can get you pictures then if you still need them.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 02:18:00 AM »
BobCo that is a great idea!  I guess you could also use the Blue styrofoam type material boards that are for sound suppression for walls.  Its about an inch thick and comes in 4x8 sheets.  Just another option if you don't like pink.  :)

How does it stand up to the weather?

Right now I have a target that a local archery shop sells and they are made by a local guy.  The target is made from styrofoam that is rolled up in a circle.  At least that's what it looks like.  It's about 30"x30", 18" thick and is all white.  The only thing I don't like about it is the color.  I sit it against a tree and I just cannot see my arrows very well at all.  I am wanting to do something to cover my target and change the color so I can see my arrows better.  The 2 things I am thinking about are covering it with some sort of cheap tarp or burlap.

Anyone know how long burlap will stand up to outdoor use in the rain and shine?  Will it rot fairly quickly?  How well does it stand up to arrows?

Thanks.

GREAT ideas everyone...

Nala

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 02:26:00 AM »
my burlap bags are now into their 3rd summer, pretty heavy use.   They are obviously due to be replaced, but I think i can just sew a new face on, not have to make whole new bags.   this is in Seattle... rain all winter and (believe it or not) quite a few really hot days in Indian summer.

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Arrow,
   If you could post a couple pics without any problems, it would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Dave Schneider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
I make burlap bags and fill them with the new dog plastic dog feed bags that Purina uses.  First legitmate benifit I found for feeding five beagles.  I have also filled with disguarded furniture cushions.  Don't use the plastic feed bags that mills use they disintegrate in the weather.

I have a small range in a field and finding missed arrows is a real problem.  Anyone come up with a good idea for back stops?  Need something large that I can hide several yard behind the target to stop them from diving in the grass.

By the way the back stops are for the kids, I never miss  :)

Offline tacomadm18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
I like foam targets,,,, just started using a spyder,,,, very nice target,,,,,

glen

Offline bd2cool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 01:33:00 AM »
Can you use old jeans and shirts for stuffing a bag target?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©