3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer Season  (Read 879 times)

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer Season
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
Season in NY starts in mid -October but it's short. I generally don't get ou til late October and the ticks are still active even though it can be very cool and damp. My favorite time though is those first two weeks of November

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
Wild Bill you have just got to prepare better, get a pop up camper paint it camo or if you are alittle more traditional paint it plaid pattern. get a portable gen that will run the air, pull it up 2 weeks before season so they get used to it, shoot through the screens, I,m telling you the older you get all these bright ideas get brighter, Really its about having a good time so go when you want, as for me I still go give me something to do.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
Our season starts the 3 week of September , and I can not wait
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lee in S.C.:
Bill, spend more time in the heat and less in the AC and it wont bother you so much.    :D     Permanone will eliminate the chiggers, and a thermacell will take care of the skeeters. Hunt early and late cause its cooler and thats when they move. They're still in summer patterns and predictable, its a perfect time to bowhunt. Daybreak on 8-15 I'llbe in a stand between some planted pines and a beanield in Williamsburg county waiting on the 8 Ive been watching to make an appearance.
Lee,

I grew up in a home in KS that didn't have A/C.  I would go inside a gym to play basketball that had A/C and by the time practice, or a game, was over, I would be wet from head to toe.  My body is by nature a generator of heat and therefore, sweat!  

People didn't want to guard me when I played basketball because when they tried to lean on me they quickly got wet as my sweat was transferred from my uniform to theirs and through to their skin!     ;)    That was my little secret weapon!  The generator has become even more efficient as I've grown older.  If there was a category for Sweat Hogs in P&Y, I'd have to be very careful going to and from my stand during hunting seasons!    :biglaugh:  

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
Bill, I know what chiggers and seed ticks are!! we are blessed with them here big time! But if the season is open and I am off work, I am huntin! I have killed deer with no shirt on, because it was so wet from sweat, I had taken it off to try and dry it out! our season opend Oct 1 and the bugs are still out for several weeks, and I try and hunt out of state where the season opens earlier.. Man, I live all year for this, not gonna miss it for anything.....but I do work in a non AC warehouse with quite a bit of manual labor so maybe the heat isnt as hard as it could be...  see ya Dave
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
It sucks for sure, but I'll be deer hunting in Mid Sept in the south Ga heat.  Why, because it will be cooler than it is now.  I will probably go hog hunting this week end!  :)
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »
I guess 4 years ago Missouri moved it's Archery season opener from October 1st back to September 15th. I had NEVER bowhunted in 95 degree heat until then.  Guys that love heat are a bit "different"..LOL

Something had to "give"!! Way to dam* hot to bowhunt. I started sneaking in way early in the cool of dark. I would wear a short sleaved T-shirt and walk slow into my stand. If I went slow enough I would not get sweaty. Three years ago I shot a doe at appx 7:30 opening morning. The hit was a bit back but in the liver I was sure. I gave her two hours to lay down and get stiff. When I found her at 10am (92 degree heat)she was covered in blow fly eggs. I had never seen that before. These eggs hosed right off but they seemed to be getting bigger as I dragged her to a place where I could get her loaded into the Gator. Crazy heat.

You all can KEEP the heat down south. Give me 30-40 degree days everday!!! I hunted southeast Kansas the week after Christmas last year-- 16 degree with 6" of snow.. The only word to describe it--Awesome!

The heat doesn't stop me from hunting, but I sure like to complain about it.  LOL
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
I have a good freind who takes a drink of vinegar every night to keep chiggars and such off of him. He swears it works.

He says just be a man and slug it down. Maybe 2 or 3 ounces of it.

They don't bother me that bad yet. But if and when they do, I'll go the vinegar route.
Remember the Alamo!

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »
All this talk about finger nail polish for chiggers. Those bugs are very small. How the heck can you see their little finger nails to put the polish on them?
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »
I grew up in Columbia, S.C. and couldn't wait till August 15 to come. One good thing about it no one makes you go. Mike

Offline goodolboy94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »
wow must be a rough life a season that starts that early and no bag limit on bucks and your complaining about a lil bit of heat
every mourn brought forth a noble chance, and every chance brought forth a noble knight-wiston churchhill

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dutchman:
I have a good freind who takes a drink of vinegar every night to keep chiggars and such off of him. He swears it works.

He says just be a man and slug it down. Maybe 2 or 3 ounces of it.

They don't bother me that bad yet. But if and when they do, I'll go the vinegar route.
:eek:

Yuck!

If you go that route, though, I saw in one of the Foxfire books what may be an alternative that you would rather consider.

They called the stuff "switchell" and you mixed half a cup of sourwood honey with half a cup of cider vinegar.  Other honeys might work but sourwood is the best honey God ever taught the bees to make - so you may as well use that.  :-)

Anyway you add about four teaspoons of that mixture to a glass (or dipper, if you really want to stick to the Foxfire book) of water.  It's not nearly as bad as it sounds (or as a straight shot of vinegar sounds).

Yow - I'm still cringing at the notion of a 3 oz shot of straight vinegar.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
I guess it just depends on how bad you want to go. :)  I can hunting in a pair of shorts and as long as I am in the shade it is not to bad.I hate hunting in the cold however so do my hunting early and only pick the best days later in the season.Bowhunting with a bunch of clothe  :D  s on sucks.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
It's hotter than 40 hells down here when season opens, but I usually average around 50 hunts during our 4 week bowseason.  I absolutely cannot wait for Sept. 13th.  Plan on hitting the WMA for hogs starting Aug. 15th.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
I regularly drink vinegar and honey mixed with hot water in the winter months.  Not bad at all.  Just get the mix right where you want it.  If it'll stop Chiggers, I'll drink it next time I'm down there fo' sho!!
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Lee in S.C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2008, 08:27:00 AM »
Bill, I'm a sweathog too. I work in it every day and I still sweat like crazy! I'll go through 2-3 shirts a day. Some of us are just blessed I guess. If it gets below 65 my teeth chatter.

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
I hate the heat!

Never miss an opening day tho,unless I'm on the road working.

Plan on being sick opening day this season.......sitting in the tree sweating.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
I hunted pigs on the Wateree River last weekend and boy was it hot and humid but cold when we got in the truck with the AC on in our wet sweaty clothes. Mike

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
Permanone = no chiggers
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by David M. Mathis:
I grew up in Columbia, S.C. and couldn't wait till August 15 to come. One good thing about it no one makes you go. Mike
Mike,

I don't go and no one could make me go.    ;)    :D

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©