3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Preparing to hunt...?  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Preparing to hunt...?
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
now things are getting interesting...

:)

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »
I'm not a fan of broadheads for rabbits because I like to have an arrow on the string while I'm kicking around in the brush.  Just not worth the risk of putting one through your leg.

Judo and Ace Hex are excellent and I've never had one fail to knock down rabbits except when I miss!

Look for the eye of the rabbit in the brush. It's a lot harder to see a whole bunny. Many times they will sit perfectly still and let you walk within feet of them.  Sometimes you're nearly standing on them when kicking brush before they take off.  If they're in the open and see you, they'll usually head for the hole.  Remember hole locations for future hunts and look for rabbit sign in cover near the hole.  They will use the same cover over and over.

Take the non-hunter along when you just want to walk and have some company.  Non-hunting outdoors types usually want to see what's around the bend, not what's right in front of them.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 08:11:00 AM »
is there a particular time of day or weather that is good for hunting bunnies?

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »
Sarah,
If you are interested, when ever you come back to P.A. and want to hook up with some good beagles and lots of bunnies,we are always looking for some "shooters" to come along. my dad likes to bring some people so the dogs keep "fur in their mouth" we hunt around the Long Pond/Mountain top area in the Poconos. Not to bad of a drive. Offers open.

Offline BobT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
Sarah,

My absolute favorite time to hunt bunnies is on a cold morning with little or no wind and bright sun. If there is a little fresh snow that's even better. Prowl slowly through areas with thick brush and a southern exposure. Rabbits will come out of the thickest brush to "sun" themselves, since you are going without a dog just go slow and keep your eyes open. As mentioned in a previous post, that shiny black eye will almost jump out at you sometimes. That is also my aiming point, sitting or running I will always aim for the eye and don't be afraid to take running shots, you will surprise yourself! If that is your target in the link that Killdeer posted you won't have too much trouble with rabbits. Your Judo points should work just fine and are "loss resistant" . Rabbits are also easy to clean and excellent table fare. Good luck and keep us posted. I expect you will be posting bunny pictures before long!

Killdeer,
As far as I'm concerned you can post your bunnie pictures as much as you like! And if you ever want to chase Missouri Whitetails you are welcome to bring your Hubby and come on out. I'll put you on a "Big'un". I can't seem to close the deal on him anyway!
Bob

It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fence post than to shoot for the fence post and hit the ground!

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
Killie, we call jumping brush doing the "bunny stomp".

Sarah, if you don't have anyone to go with just stalk them. Winter is always a good time for a walk. The day after a fresh snow is good or the morning after. Walk the edges of thick stuff and you'll find tracks...nothing like wandering like a coyote!

Best of luck...
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
ok, i have a few more basic questions as well...

how does licensing work? what license(s) do i need?
i need to take a hunter's safety course, how do i find out where i can do that?

i'll post them as i think of them... :)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
if your not going to hunt deer then a small game license will do.

go to your Home State's fish & game website or call them.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
My experience shooting rabbits (about 1 dozen) is that blunts and judos are great for head shots but broadheads will kill them in far more places (marginal hits).

Imagine taking a 10" wide broad head and shooting a deer.  Hitting a deer in most places with a 10" wide broadhead would probably kill them.

Jason

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
I took Hunter's Ed at the National Wildlife Federation. Then I took it at a county-run shooting center. Then I took it there again. Then I took it at the rod and gun club that I belong to. Some Izaak Walton League chapters may hold them, and this link came from the Pennsylvania State Game Commission.

http://www.hte.state.pa.us/eventcalendar.aspx

Killdeer  :bigsmyl:  (I aced the test every time!)
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Jacobm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
My 13 year old is taking hunters ed on-line.  This on-line course is accepted in some states, but not all.  
I was talking to a local CO who is also an instructer and he said the on-line test is harder than the one he gives.  He even admitted to missing a number of questions when he took the on-line test.  After hearing that, I had to give the test a try.  Figured it would be a cake walk for someone who has hunted many seasons and aced ed classes before.  Let's just say it was a humbling experience!  I still passed but missed more than expected.
Killdeer - If you get a chance, try the on line test.  I would like to see how someone that has taken a number of different tests would do.  I'm sure better than I.

http://www.hunter-ed.com/in/index.htm

Offline Jacobm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
Here's the home page that shows the states that accept the on-line cert.

http://www.hunter-ed.com/

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
Looks like the online test in PA is a no-go. Thanks Killie for the link, I'll have to get on that as soon as I get home.

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »
Sarah, consider scheduling your hunter safety course asap, usually they fill up closer to hunting season.
Bret M. FullER

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
Ok, got my hunter's safety scheduled for early September. But I was thinking I ought to know a bit before then so I can stock up on gear etc.

My folks mentioned there being a law in PA that you have to wear a certain amount of orange when hunting...can anyone shed light on this for me? I feel like the PAGC website is so archaic that I can't find any relevant information about hunting laws and guidelines. Remember, I'm totally new to this. Help!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Sarah, "Hunter Orange" in Jersey is for firearms seasons[anything gun]. Im sure Pennsy is the same way. However maybe some Good Folks from Pennsy can help you out on that some  more.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
Good advice so far, and if your hunting in PA, it may be worth a road trip to NY for Shawn's bunny hunt. You will not meet any better people.
Solo is doable. I have had the best luck stalking the wild roses, there is usually a bunny under one at any time. Inspect anything that could be a rabbit....I have had them explose under foot after I passed them off as a dead leaf.
If you can, practice on moving targets. Kick a soccer ball...etc.
Learning to hunt is part of it, so dont stress out if you feel like you dont know enough going into it. Each trip out is a learning experience.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
The site IS difficult to navigate. I went back and poked around, and clicked on the Hunting Digest. Here is a link. I think it will answer a lot of your questions.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=460&q=174485

This leads me to a pet peeve. With states bemoaning the drop in hunter numbers, wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to be a Philadelphia lawyer to decipher all the nuances of the game laws in your, or another state? It is bad enough that available lands are dwindling, and increased urbanization of land and people are making it difficult and unlikely for more people to even learn to shoot, much less hunt, but the states could really use some help in simplifying laws and their publication.

I once picked up a copy of the West Virginia game laws, as I hunt right on the border and might like to get an out of state license so I can roam at will. It confused me so badly, especially because I was unfamiliar with what was where and which zone it was in, that I let it drop and I stay on my side of the line. And I am not really stupid, I just look that way online.  :readit:  

Killdeer  :banghead:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
I agree with you completely. As someone who is coming into this with no experience, it really seems like the system was designed for "family hunters" -- you know, people who grew up hunting and who just "know" what do to. It's not quite so easy for everyone...

So, are there separate seasons for archery and guns? I thought there were, but the link Killdeer gave above doesn't say anything about it... confusion!!!

REVISION: actually, it does say something about it. small game hunting = 250 square inches of orange that must be visible from 360 degrees...ok, what do you all do for orange?

oh, and how do i get in on this bunny hunt?

Offline COMBER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
The orange law in Pa makes no sense at all. The way it was explained to me was when there is a gun season going on during archery you must wear orange. I live in Bucks county and it's a special regulation area and during the extended antlerless season, black powder season and winter archery you don't have to wear orange even though all of those seasons are in at the same time. The one tip I'll give you is to always have it in your pack in case it is needed.

Thanks,
       Jake
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©