3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: California Newbies  (Read 260 times)

Offline The Grand Falloon

• Trad Bowhunter
California Newbies
« on: July 17, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
So, my friends and I are thinking we want to learn to hunt.  We're all in Northern California, and completely naive to hunter lore and culture.  Our thoughts for proper game animals are wild turkeys (delicious and fairly large targets), wild boars (because bacon is awesome and those things are destructive, and licenses are cheap), and possibly ducks (just the males, out of spite.  Anyone who's seen ducks mate knows what I'm talking about).

Other than that, we have no idea where to begin.  My buddy just bought a compound bow off ****, and that's as far as anyone's gotten.  I was thinking I would rather go for a recurve bow, but I have no idea what I'm looking for.  I'd like to keep it cheap (preferably under $200, I think).  I'm about 190 pounds, of moderate strength.  What kind of draw weight would be good?  My brother-in-law tells me 30-35 lbs will bring down most critters without trouble.

Anyone in California know where to hunt turkeys and pigs?  We'd like to stay on public land.  The idea of going to a ranch and shelling out a load of money isn't terribly appealing.

So yeah, we're clueless, unskilled cheapskates who want to wander off into the wilderness and pit ourselves against nature.  What could go wrong?  Any suggestions on bows, books, territory?  If it ends up just being a big camping trip with a lot of hiking, that's cool with us.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: California Newbies
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
45 lb is the minimum legal hunting weight in CA. Pick up a bow, start shooting it and go out after some rabbits to start with. Pick up an archery only deer tag and wander around in the great outdoors. Hogs are few and far between on public land but they are there.  Join a local archery club and get to know some people, they are your best source of information in your area.

Check the classified on here and go for it!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline JStark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »
I'm in Nor Cal, Mr. Falloon.  PM me and I'll try to hook you up.
Through education, appreciation;
through appreciation, protection.

Offline p1choco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
Welcome to the club Coner.  I sent you a pm.
Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.

- Calvin Coolidge

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
I thought the Calif. rule on bow wt. was based on the cast of the bow, not the poundage.

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
Mr Fallon,

Being that you're in Nor Cal there is an excellent infrastructure of organized archery in Northern California.  Suggest you look into a nearby club.  Check out the CBH/SAA web sight for clubs in your area.

As for hunting, Lake Sonoma is a pretty nice place to start in your neighborhood.  Turkeys, hogs, deer, & ducks there....
TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
That was a lot of responses mighty quick.  Thanks guys, particularly Senor Choco, for the email.  Looks like I have a lot of stuff to read and experiment with.

Offline oops sorry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
Bow weight in Ca is limited to cast....I think it requires that a normally fletched arrow with a legal broadhead (cannot pass through 7/8" hole) fly, I believe 150yds. "clueless unskilled cheapskates"...that's my kinda people...just ask my wife. Check the regs on the bow...there may be a # limit for elk but not for the game you mention.

Offline jared s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
I'm not going to be any help with the California stuff but I want to chime in for another reason. You guys sound like you have an ambitious and adventurous mindset and I like that. I just want to tell you that unfortunately nothings as simple as it should be. I had a period when I was younger when I ran into the problems I think that you might. You're looking for adventure and freedom and what you find is beurocracy and roadblocks. DON'T let this discourage you.
Its hard when all you want to do is head into the woods, alone or with buddies, enjoy nature and participate in it. You're doing it for the simplicity and the purity and you find a world of land access problems, licsenses, permits, rules etc. This can be really frustrating but stick with it, learn your area, check out the public land, even if it does just turn into a camping trip. Try and enjoy it however you can and dont get bogged down in what you may have to go through to get there.
I don't mean to rant or sound pessemistic, I just want to offer some reality and encouragement to some people who sound like they might have the same mindset I did when I was younger, and encourage you through the frustration.
If you're really interested in hunting with a recurve, this is a great place, come back every day. You'll find that things can get a lot more involved that you probably ever imagined. But its a great addiction.  :)  
Have fun and best of luck to you.

Jared
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
Ferris Bueller

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »
I'll let the experienced talk about the equipment, sourcing, how-to's, et al.

But from your post it seems that your desire to hunt is not as strong as may be needed to properly execute the killing shot. Keep in mind that this is all in head stuff.

I suggest ou read some of David Petersens books on archery hunting philosophies. Get with the mental game and then practice, practice, practice and.....practice...

Good luck!
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »
Oh, I'm sure I'll have plenty of hassles with permits and whatnot.  I figure if I make sure I keep practicing as I navigate the bureaucracy, I'll be freakin' Robin Hood by the time we're all set to go.  Of course, I'll also be like, 80.

I've had more than a few friends roll their eyes at this idea.  "Do any of you idiots even know anything about hunting?"  We're all aware it's much more complicated than it first seems, and it will probably be a long while before we even bag an old tire.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
It's a learning process, keep it simple and enjoy the journey. Lots of good advice already given and you can learn a lot from the Tradgang. Wish I had this kind of access to so much knowledge when I started out but back then most of us were self taught.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
Where in Northern California are you?
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »
Have fun!
Brant
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©