3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: learning lessons  (Read 204 times)

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
learning lessons
« on: July 17, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
well, i sarted on my first ever wood arrows this week.  i sealed them tapered put nocks and a field points form a test kit from 3 rivers.   they acually looked ok, i mean they were not like some i have seen on here but i was proud that i acually got that far with no problems.  well i took them out the next day.   the very first arrow hit the target, broke in half, and sent the broke half 25ft. in the air.   im not happy with my work at this point.  next shot did fine. then the next shot did the same thing the first one did.  now im really upset,  chewing myslef out for even trying something different than the same thing i have always shot(which is carbon arrows).  well i got to looking at my set-up.  i noticed my nock point on the string was way high even for my regulars which is higher than most ive seen. (no idea how it got that high).   so i moved it down and things went fine from then on.  \\  the shafts are 55/60 spined cedar from 3rivers.  and the 125gr. tip worked great.  that only thing is that total weight was 525grains.  i like to shoot 600+ arrows.   so here is the questioin.  how much spine would i have to go up to get a 190gr. point to work.  i know that there are alot of things that adds up but just in your opinion.  

thanks,
Beaver
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: learning lessons
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
What is your draw weight and draw length.
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
56@28in is what the bow is.  i pull about 29
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
also these are uncut shafts

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »
Beaver, what type of bow is it, i.e. recurve, longbow, fiberglass backed or self, R/D or narrow straight-limbed?  What type and relative diameter of string? All of those things can affect the spine you need. Unless you're shooting a self bow, you're probably under. Not everyone fits the average, but this has been my experience.

When you go up in spine, you will also probably go up in shaft weight at the same time. When you get the right spine going for field points, you might have to go up another 5# for heavy broadheads.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
thanks for the input

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©