3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My first hunting arrows Help  (Read 203 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
My first hunting arrows Help
« on: July 17, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »
I am making some cedar arrows for my first hunt. I am trying to decide what color cresting and fletching to use. I am in Upstate New York so I guess I should consider fall foliage. Any suggestions? Also, what is the difference between right wing and left wing fletching as far as performance? Thanks
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first hunting arrows Help
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Hi Brian!!!!!

As for colors.....anything BRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!   :thumbsup:

I have been using Chartruse/Blaze Orange for a few years now,Joe Skipp's favorite is "PINK",Lots of guys use white.....

One thing to remember is that it's very important to be able to track the flight of your arrow both before and after the hit,because you must find your arrow after the shot to determine a hit or a miss.

If your worried about blending in(i.e.Fall colors) yellow is VERY good!!!!!! However.....Be warned,trying to find a yellow fletched arrow in a carpet of fresh fallen Sugar Maple leaves can be VERY frustrating!!!!!

As for left or right wing.....Personaly,I've never seen much differance.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
woodchucker is right.  The deer won't see the bright colors, but watch your movement and silhouette.  Thats what'll get you everytime if your not careful.  Bright is good and I like white somewhere either fletches or crest is fine.  You can tell a lot about the hit by what is left on the arrow and white makes a clean canvass for the colors you are looking for.
Turn a friend on to trad.  It's the gift that keeps on giving >>------> @

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
what the others have said.....I agree 100%

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
Another vote for fletches you can see in flight...personally, I prefer hot pink or chartreuse...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
Left wing feathers are more common, because the people who clip the wings in the turkey farms are mostly right-handed- it's in how they hold the bird. I can't tell a difference in how they shoot, and the lefts might be cheaper.

Ditto on bright fletching, and nock, too.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©