3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tanto tip  (Read 451 times)

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
tanto tip
« on: July 17, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
as i was ramming away at some more Doc Ashby reading, I became confused as to what exactly a tanto tip is.  I studied the pictures of the modified grizzlies and an ABowyer that were pictured and compared them to the new grizzlys I just got and am stumped.

Grizzlys come with a tanto tip from the factory, right?  And Doc Ashby as modified his tips on his grizzlys right?  He says the factory angle of the tip of the grizzly is about 40 degrees and that 30 degrees is ideal.  

Im curious as to how one would go about in the modification of the tip.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tanto tip
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
i think there might be a thread on the how to forum.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »
i guess the tip just manifests itself during the sharpening process, that is changing the angle of the bevel, i still dont know what a tanto tip is defined as though

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
A good example of a tanto tip is to look at a Magnus Stinger. It has a factory tanto tip. Also some cold steel knives have a tanto tip too.

To get a tanto tip you change the blade angle, not the bevel angle. I sorta do the same process when pyramiding my Wensel Woodsman tips. After regular sharpening I then take a small 6" file and roughly double the blade angle and pyramid the tip. This changes the needle tip to a shorter, stronger, pyramid on the very tip. A tanto serves the same purpose, strengthening the tip for bone. Hope this helps.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
Tanto tip in light Gray.  On a broadhead, it is really two tanto edges coming together at a point.

In the knife world

77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »
Great pics elkbreath ! Can you see what a tanto tip is now Widoweater ? Again it just makes the tip stronger and can also keep the tip from curling. A needle tip just does not have enough support behind it and can start the dreaded curl on bone. Once it starts it will just keep curling instead of cutting. We have all seen pics of curled heads, not a pretty pic !

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »
Ashby says he came up with the Tanto name by visualizing two Tanto knife tips, as in Elkbreaths' upper photo, placed back to back. Elkbreath's sketch shows only the profile view. Grizzly's Tanto is not cut-on-impact, thus Ashby's modification to make it so. With a double-bevel head the Tanto tip is beveled at 30 degrees on both sides, and on both faces, produced a four-sloped tip. With a single-bevel it is beveled only on the edge opposite the blade bevel, if that makes sense. Imagine a single bevelhead head, Face A: The Tanto tip is  beveled only on the side or shoulder opposite the blade-edge bevel. Now flip the head over to Face B and do the same. Thus, on each side of the blade you have one beveled cutting-edge, with the opposite Tanto tip shoulder also beveled. This provides a sharp, skip-resistant CoI tip that sacrifices no strength. Ashby has an article with photos illustrating all of this in a future issue of TBM, and having been "gone bush" for research for several weeks now, should be returning soon to TG to explain better what I just tried to explain worse.   :banghead:  As I tell my wife often, "I did the best I could." As she always replies, "That's not good enuf! Perfect ain't my thang. It is Dr. Ashby's. d

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
finally this makes sense

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
Dave2Old,

The white knight is taking backwards and I just had some kind of mushroom and my mind is moving slow   :scared:   ............LOL

I use to know what a Tonto tip was..... Now I'm so confused.

Dave I'm just kidding you... it's clear as an elk wallow. LOL    :biglaugh:

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
Its just making the point less pointed(but still sharp) because a curled/bent tip is going to penetrate poorly.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©