3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cold weather clothing  (Read 334 times)

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
cold weather clothing
« on: July 17, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
It was 90 here today so lets talk cold weather clothing.How many of you use fleece or wool with no fill type insulation? By fill I mean down,thinsulate or polyfill.If so give me your layering system and the temps. Thanks

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cold weather clothing
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
Well it can get colder than a Norwegian well-digger's rearend here in the winter, so I like to layerwith polyester under my wool.  I usually use a poly or orlon turtleneck and a wool sweater over that.  When it's really cold, I wear a wool jacket over the sweater.  

I like to use a scarf as well if the wind is moving, and a wool watch cap or Stormy Kromer type.  I wear wool outer pants with wool longjohns on the lower half.  I don't stand hunt...I keep walking and stand a little, so I don't get as cold as if I were in a tree stand.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 07:16:00 AM »
For years I wore a heavy wool hunting jacket made by Johnson's Woolen Mills in Vermont. (The same ones that the Benoit Family "used" to wear) It was given to me for Christmas a few years before my Mom passed away from cancer. The year she died,I shot a big 8 point whitetail and got blood all over the jacket. I know the young lady who works at the dry ckeaner personaly,and I really didn't want to take it in to her covered with blood and hair.I have always washed my wool hunting shirts in cold water,then tumble dry on "air-no heat" without any problems,so I washed it.....AND IT SHRUNK!!!!! I was heart broken.

I decided that I wasn't going to wear wool any more,so I started buying "poly-fleece" hunting clothes. Wearing poly-fleece though,I was never really "warm" and when I got wet,I was downright COLD!!!!!

One day,I was browsing through the local GoodWill store and I saw a gray 100% Shetland wool sweater. I bought it for $2.25!!!!! It was perfect!!!!! Since then,I have aquired quite a few of them.I usualy wear one or two,and when it gets REALLY cold I wear three.Being as they stretch,they are very comfortable and not restricting at all.I can also say that I have never needed more than 3 sweaters to keep me warm no matter how cold it got.I have even bought a few pair of heavy wool pants from the GoodWill store,and you can easily find the light weight wool dress (suit) pants.

Good,warm,hunting clothes that won't break the bank.   :archer:  

(and if they shrink when I wash them.....It doesn't hurt)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 07:32:00 AM »
Bucky, I wear one of the Longhunter Shirts that Ron LaClair carries in his stock. It is very warm and comfortable, and very bowhunter friendly regarding clothing getting in the way of the bowstring. I do layer in cold weather though... thermal underwear, wool pants, sweat shirt, Jac Shirt and Longhunter shirt over that. I've been out on some very bitter cold days (with Woodchucker) and stayed nice and warm.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »
For the really cold days. Under armor cold gear, then a merino wool zip up sweater, then fleece lined Cabelas wool sweater with wind shear. For the legs, cold gear and wool bibs. If it's really darn cold I might add fleece pants under the bibs. On the head, fleece balacava and a wool Filson hat. My hands, just a light cotton glove with hand warmers. Extra hand warmers in my pockets and some times a hand warmer on the back of my neck. This is all if I'm sitting. If I plan on still hunting I just do cold gear, wool bib and cabelas wool with wind shear.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
anybody use a vest as a outer garment?wool or fleece?

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
Actualy a vest,(like a Filson) would be good for breaking up your outline,but in reality it would be warmer if you wore it undernieth.

I have a couple of wool "sweater vests" that I sometimes wear against my skin under my heavy sweaters.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 12:37:00 AM »
How cold ,is cold?
Webfoots Body Sock,wool vest,wool socks,wool sweater, wind proof shirt and pants, Muck boots or 800 grain ??boots??...if on stand, the shirt gets dropped and the Rivers West coat comes out.
 Socks are smartwool, vest and sweaters are goodwill or salvation army...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 07:34:00 AM »
I wear smart wool undergarments,wool pants,wool socks,poly turtle neck,heavy Woolrich wool shirt. If it's really cold I wear my camo Carhardt vest on top with a wool hat.But George I think you knew that already. I can't wait until we have to put those garments on again! WOOOFAAA! Gotta' start looking around at the GoodWill stores there is one in Fairfield on 46 I want to check out.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©