3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 1955 Kodiak...Simple Beauty.  (Read 481 times)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
1955 Kodiak...Simple Beauty.
« on: July 17, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
Just got this today via FedEx.  It's a '55 Kodiak, 60",  55#,  in good shooting condition.  I marvel at the design of these old bows...this thing flat out smokes.  It has those really narrow tips and limb ends and the R/L riser.  Plain but beautiful. All the decals are intact as well. I'll get better photos tomorrow.

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1955 Kodiak...Simple Beauty.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
Nice lookin' bow. I'm a big Bear fan, especially the older ones.  :D
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
Looks like you got yoru photo bucket thing worked out...

....that bow does have some classic pretty lines, George!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
Dave....you gonna' make the squirrel hunt this year?  We miss ya' 8^).

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
Dunno, bud...back unemployed again. Funny how career choices we make with what seems like good information--- changes over time...

You like them old style bows, if things keep going the way they are, I might have to try to sell you a decent ole ROOT bow, 64"; 44#@28"

:)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 11:15:00 PM »
Well Doc, for the most part, they are just as good as new ones, cept you can't use that Fast/Flush stuff 8^).   That Root has some history I'm sure.  Hang on to it.  Better yet...you might want to move up here to the hill country with us.  Not a lot of money here but it sure is a good place to be poor.     ;)

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »
George. great looking bow. I just got mine back from the bow doc.  Mine was painted greenand showing some wear.  I had it completly refurbished with new decals and leather wrap.  It is a 1956 special and turned out beutiful.  The bowdoc does some great work.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 07:33:00 AM »
I have a gorgeous '55 Kodiak as well.  A little longer and lighter than yours though (64" 46#).  The '55-'57 Kodiaks all smoke an arrow!  It's hard to believe the slim tips, ain't it?  :D
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
George, mine was brand new...back then, 52#@ 28"

That's a 1953 Mercury in the picture...also pretty new back then.    :D    

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
Hey Ron, your elbow looks a little high in that photo.  I'm glad you've gotten a few lessons since then.   :biglaugh:  

George, I agree with you on the classic lines of that era's bow. I think it also invokes images of being with Fred and Glenn on the Little Delta River hunt.  All pretty cool stuff.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
Ron....my brother had a 53 Mercury...those were great cars.  Nice bow, by the way 8^).

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
Here's a couple photos from today.  I cleaned the bow with mild soap and water, then oversprayed it with clear poly to seal any finish deficits.  I also rubbed mink oil into the leather wrap to soften and protect it.  I don't like changing these old bows a lot; I like to think the scratches and yellowing, etc., are part of its history.  It looks plenty good yet still wears some of its battle scars of the past 53 years.  My thirty yard group is hanging to the left so I need to add some point weight.

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
George, if you part with this one can I have first dibs at it? Been looking for an old bow in that weight that not everyone wants one like 59 or 60 or early 60's Bears. Thanks for sharing. Flint

Offline ghost rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »
George, nice bow. I believe the 55 inspired the Great Northern Ghost. I know those bows smoke an arrow. Excellent grouping as well. Rob

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
George, nice bow. I believe the 55 inspired the Great Northern Ghost. I know those bows smoke an arrow. Excellent grouping as well. Rob  
Rob, Here's "The rest of the story" on the Ghost. Jerry and I were on out way to Quebec in 1986 for a Caribou hunt when he told me that he'd like to start making a recurve but was undecided on what to make and he ask my opinion. I suggested that they make a copy of an old Bear bow and call it the "Grayling Ghost" Long story short, the first few bows were called the Grayling Ghost then Rick and Jerry decided to drop the Grayling because they didn't want Bear Archery to get after them for the name. Thereafter they were called Simply, The Ghost.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
That looks just like one I had to sell last year do to being unemployed and needed to pay the utilities to keep them on. Mine was 67# @29" and it was a darn good shooter.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline ghost rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
Thanks for the story Ron, I love archery history like that. Rob

Offline Lee in S.C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
Ive got a similar double shelved Kodiak but with the compass in the handle. 62# @ 28". I think its a 1955 as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©