3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Educating myself to traditional archery.  (Read 395 times)

Offline newtotrad

• Trad Bowhunter
Educating myself to traditional archery.
« on: July 17, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
Hello,
As my board name implies I am just beginning to educate myself to traditional archery.  I live in B'ham, Al and I assume the August shoot at Tannehill would be a good place for me to get exposure to trad archery.   Are there usually vendors at these shoots? I am interested in looking at some bowyers' work. Currently, I am leaning towards a hybrid longbow design.  I definitely want to get started on the right track.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Educating myself to traditional archery.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »
The hybrids are nice....they are more like recurves than longbows in their smoothness, but they are great bows for sure.  There's a lot of folks on here from Alabamy...maybe a few of them are near you and can assist in your development.  By all means get to a traditional gathering and drink it all in.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »
There are a lot of really high quality bows out there and a ton of info on this site.  Try to shoot several different style bows if possible.  You may want to start with something affordable or something that is easy to re-sell just to have a bow to work on basic form.  Then you can start shooting different bows and you will see and feel the differences.  Have fun!
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 12:53:00 AM »
Another moth drawn to the "Light". Welcome aboard, you're gonna love it!!

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 01:04:00 AM »
A 'bama boy ought to read all about that great Alabaman, Howard Hill. Find and watch his videos and movies as well. You can search the various websites for sources and the reference department of your local library can borrow the books by and about him.

He pretty much founded our modern sport and he dominated his sport, this one, more than any man. I suggest you start with him and work up to more modern notions if you wish. But many archers are content to use his methods and tackle and find little need for more recent developments. - lbg

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 01:10:00 AM »
I think Sipsey River will be there.John will have a lot of used and new bows from different bowyers including the Banshee which is very resonably priced.

Hope to see you there,I'm about 2 hours from you.You can shoot anything I have but I've been into metal risers and ILF limb recurves lately.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 06:33:00 AM »
grasshopper, You are on the right path.. You came here and You want to go to a trad shoot to find a bow...some ppl just go out and get any bow they find, Most of the time they get over bowed and don't want to stay with it... Good luck the bug has you now...

BTW Welcome to the Brotherhood.

Offline Scott Gray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
Newtotrad were exactly in Bham are ya? Also I agree with Randy Clark about checking out Sipsey River and talking with John Sullins(owner) while at Tannehill.  I know Jim Gainey will be there with his BlackCreek Banshee Hybrid longbows. Jim makes a sweet shooting bow. I shoot a Banshee and am more than pleased with it.
BlackCreek Banshee 42 lbs@28

Offline cdworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
hey look me up i'll be there! can't wait to see some people i have actually ttalked to. the info for the ASTB shoot is:

Weekend rates
Single ASTB member is $30.00
Single non-ASTB member is $35.00
Family ASTB Member is $50.00
Family non-ASTB Member is $55.00

paying by the round it will be $8.00/round

All of these rates apply to one division. If you shoot in multiple divisions then all additional divisions must be paid for by the round. There will be 25 targets and we include a BBQUE dinner on Saturday night.

I plan on being there on sat don't know if i will get to stay for the dinner but me and a friend will shoot a few rounds. Alot of the vendors will let you shoot some of there bows to see if you like em. John at Sipsey is a great guy i shot a few of there bows at the Howard hill shoot that was my first adventure into trad archery so i know where your coming from and yes going to Tannehill will be one of the better ways to get started. talk to people and be friendly people who shoot trad are some of the nicest people in the world! Can't Wait to see you there!
C.D.Works

Offline newtotrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
Thank you all for your replies and advice.  Scott, I currently live in Cahaba Heights.  I see you live in Pinson.  I have a cousin who attends Pinson High.  I am really interested in Gainey's bows.  I am a native of Winston Cty.

Offline Scott Gray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »
Craig, my son Logan attends Pinson High School too. My wifes family is originally from the free state of Winston also. Haleyville to be exact. Jim builds a fine bow and he is one heck of a nice guy to do business with too. If you want to give him a call here is his phone number (205)272-2656. He would be happy to talk with you about his bows or about hunting or whatever. Like I said he is just a nice guy all around  :thumbsup:
BlackCreek Banshee 42 lbs@28

Offline newtotrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 12:38:00 AM »
Scott I am from Haleyville as well.  Lived all but 4 of my 37 years there.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »
See that your in good hands already! Welcome!

Offline Chas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
Welcome, I'm from Pelham. I sent you a PM.
Chas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©