3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Depressed in Montana  (Read 614 times)

Offline mtTradMan

• Trad Bowhunter
Depressed in Montana
« on: July 17, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
So I got my new Toelke whip about a month and 1/2 ago (SWEEEETTTT!!!) and have been shooting religiously. Got my anchor really solid and was starting to tighten my groups so I could shoot 3-4in groups at 30 yards. On July 1st I basically destroyed my rotator cuff at work along with separating my bicep from the bone. I asked my orthopedic surgeon about bow hunting and he just laughed at me...especially when I told him I used a long bow with no let off. He said it would probably be at least 2 years before I would have the strength to pull the bow. I didn't quite believe him so I asked a friend of mine that is a family practice doc and she said the same thing. I was curious if anyone here has had the same type of injury and what was your recovery time. All I know is that I am totally depressed that I won't be able to bow hunt this year never the less my first year of trad hunting. Anyway...right now I am praying that my work comp people get off of their butts and get my surgery approved so I can start my rehab. As for now I am planning on being the camera guy for any of my other friends that are hunting. Don't have to kill to have a great time.javascript:void(0)

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Depressed in Montana
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
I had arthroscopic rotator cuff surgery, but not nearly as severe as yours-I was shooting 60 lbs recuves within several months although my PT was quite surprised at my quick recovery Not  sure how heavy your limbs are, but you might want to look at getting another set around 45 lbs or shoot a compound until you're completely recovered. I would shoot a compound at 45 lbs w/80% letoff if I could if that was my only option other than sitting on the sidelines. Best of luck!

Brady
BD

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 12:28:00 AM »
Which arm? Draw arm or bow arm? Hate to hear that...Hope you heal up soon...Take it easy

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 12:31:00 AM »
I feel bad for your situation. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't think of trying to shoot until you get the go ahead from your doc, trying to do otherwise might eliminate you from bowhunting (no matter what kind of bow) in the future altogether, and that would really stink!

I'm putting myself in your shoes, thinking what I would do in your situation. Well, it's time to start studying. I'd fill my time with reading everything imaginal about bowhunting, then I'd re-read it. Then you could get into videoes, hunting videos, shooting videos, shooting form, etc. Repeat as often as possible, as repetition is key. Also, as you said, be the camera guy whenever you can, you'll be right there in the action of things.

Scouting. You can scout year 'round. Do this consistantly while you are laid up and you will be better prepared than your able bodied hunting pals when you get healed up.

How about trail camera's? I've never gotten into them, but that could be a fun way of "getting" your deer over and over again.

Above all else, listen to your doc so you can hunt in the future.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 02:30:00 AM »
Sorry to hear that.Been through more than few injuries that kept me from shooting for a few years.Do some serious rehab when he time comes and get a very light bow to start with at the appropriate time and take up some serious angling when you start to feel better in the meantime.

Wish you the best and hope for a full recovery!

Offline stmpthmpr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 03:18:00 AM »
I have had my share of shoulder and back problems so I feel ya.

Good advice above... it will take what it takes. Listen to the doc.

BUT... what the doc wont likely tell you is how to speed the healing. Drugs and PT is what they will recommend.

Many a football player has returned in record time from major injuries by juicing. Get yourself a top of the line juicer and drink a quart or two every day. Carrots,spinach, beets are the best. Eat fresh veggie salads and cut down on red meat (hardest for me).

We kill everything we eat. Heat kills the cell builders in what veggies we do eat. If you're serious about shortening the healing time, try it!!

All my best to ya!!

Offline econnell71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 03:38:00 AM »
mtTradman;
I had a similiar experience, I tore both major pectoral muscles from the shoulder in, detached my right bicep (drawing arm) tore my tricep in rt arm, rupterd the bicep in my left arm and dislocated both shoulders, with a surgery on my right rotator cuff.

I was doing a power lifting comp, bench pressing 570lbs, It took me about 8 months. But let me inform you, I was doing my own rehab at home also, continuously working on my range of motion laying on the floor, using the weight of my own arms to move up and down even if it was 1/4 of the way, the finally worked my way up to holding a can of soup then a bottle of water and went from there...they said I would never shoot again...BS! They say that to protect thier practice...I see no reason that you won't be able to be back hunting and shooting again! Also I haven't looked at your MRI/CT scan either.
Martin Savannah LB 62" 60@28
Martin Vision LB 66" 65@28"
Martin Hunter    62" 55#@28"
Martin Hunter    62" 45@28"
Martin Jaguar bowfish recurve
Martin Rebel...who knows
"If you teach your kids how to hunt..You won't have to hunt your kids!"

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 06:27:00 AM »
Take it slow and give it time to heal.I've had two rotator cuff surgeries.  I came back from the first (shooting) in a couple of months, which is why I had to have the second surgery. I had bicept pain for years after the operations.    Continue to do some of my rehab exercises to this day.   Good luck with your progress.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »
Great advice on healing and rehab above.  Now here is my advice:  Pick up a single-shot rifle, go hunting, and work on the mental piece of mind that only being alone in the woods can provide for you.  I hope you have a complete and speedy recovery.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
John I know how you feel I had back surgery on 6/20/08 don't know how my hunting will be this year. The bad part is I have a bear hunt already paid fo this fall in Manitoba. The Doc say's I can try to start shooting after 8/20/08, so I might have to break out the muzzleloader. Don't want to do that but I think it is my best option i want to be able to shoot next year. Greg is right you still get some time in the wood's

doug77

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
I had an impingement go bad and it tore a 3 corner tear in the rotator...had spurs shredding bicep tendons...The ground out gunk and trimmed tendons and sewed up the rotator cuff...

Not like some of you guys, with all the muscles ripped away from bone (gives me shivvers) but...

... let me say this.  I got right up int he surgeon's face and made him describe in DETAIL the difference between "PAIN" and "INJURY" to the work done....

Once we had that understanding... I worked VERY hard at what I could do without damaging the repairs and dealt with my own pain my way...

My Phy. Therapist was amazed... I pushed them and had tears rollin down my face every time in there...but it was within the realm of "pain vs. injury" to repairs!

Once I got the go ahead and was told I couldn't hurt the work done... I worked even harder. I got cut Aug 27th that year...and was shooting my hunting weight (54#) Morrion by the last week in Oct...working up with lighter bows. I did therapy and stretching all day at work and serious work outs at home every night... PT periodically with heat/stim.

The key, IMO, is making sure you get that line clearly understood between 'pain and damage'.

Doc's are used to folks not able to push through pain...trouble with some of us testosterone types is we push through pain that is an indication of doing damage and screw ourselves up.

Like ole Dirty Harry said, "man gotta know his limits..."  :)

Good luck and prayers up for a good recovery...listen, heed the warnings, be patient but know your limits and do what you can religiously!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Hardhed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
"Anyway...right now I am praying that my work comp people get off of their butts and get my surgery approved so I can start my rehab."

You really should get a lawyer.  I've personally seen many, many people go through needless hardship if you simply trust in the friendly insurance company.

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »
Shoot the bow with your foot on the handle and good arm pulling the string. You'll have to be laying down, but Ron LaClair did it when he hurt his arm and he said he could hit a half gallon milk jug at like 40 yards or something. I saw him doing it on Masters of the Barebow.
Just my two cents.

In the mean time I hope your recovery goes well, I'll be prayin' for ya!  :thumbsup:  
Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »
I have had shoulder injuries too and basically agree that you should not plan to be able to bowhunt again for 2 years. You might improve on that time frame somewhat with good physical therapy, but you may also re-injure yourself and extend your recovery period if you try to push yourself too hard. Find a good physical therapist who specializes in post-operative shoulder rehabilitation and explain your situations and desires to him/her. The therapist should be able to make sure you recover as soon as possible without doing something that will cause additional injury. You can't fool mother nature -- rehabilitation takes both effort and time -- lots of time.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
You could also try a mouth tab. Saw Dwight Schuh do it a few years back. Also a pic in TBM in the harvest section a few years ago. I wouldn't know where to get one. That's what I would do. Good luck on the recovery.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
TradMan,

What would be the prognosis if you switched sides...ie if you shoot righthanded, would the recovery time be significantly less if you were shooting left handed???  What the human body can do is amazing!!
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »
Man, don't push it.  Have a friend that had similar thing to happen, had surgery, did not listen, now he has had his 4th surgery to correct all the damage he did by not listening.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 12:23:00 AM »
Give it time, I broke a drawing arm bicep tendon this fall, detaching the bicep from my forearm, long story about me being stupid and hunting another month and a half with it detached and the damage that did. but the doctor really got into me and with reason, but when he got through telling me how stupid I was and then he got me on the right track., Surgery and rehab. do the PT !! and do it at home.  tell everyone your goal of shooting a bow. My PT gave me a band to use at home to close up in a door and hook it behind my elbow and simuliate drawing, to keep my back muscles working, this helped alot. someone told me to keep excersing, take walks etc. It helps ya keep a positive attitude, and that gos a long ways..Your injury was worse than mine, but I am back to shootin a 60lb bow with no issues 6 months later..  good luck Dave
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline SoNevada Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »
That sucks dude! Sorry to hear your situation.
The doom of man...that he forgets!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »
I am going through the same thing right now. Injury at work May 1st, Surgery June 17th, Detached rotator cuff, detached bicep tendon and one of the other tendons that I can't remember right now. They put four pins and three anchors in there also.

Anyway, Workmans comp has been fine. Pretty tuff at first and it is just starting to feel a little better. Sleeping in the brace has been one of the hardest things to get used to. I can tell you one thing I will take my time coming back because I don't want to go through it again and I still havn't even started the months of therapy.

I havn't missed a deer bow season in thirty years but I think I will just take picks and film my boys and friends this year and stay on the ground to. I was at a shoot this weekend(Just watching) and probably had thirty guys tell me storys about there surgerys. Some didn't wait and had to do it again most were shooting just fine now because they did what the doc said mostly.

I feel for ya bud and wish ya luck but there is not anything we can do about it. Good luck to ya and keep us posted.  :)  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©